PDA

View Full Version : Routing software / ideas?

Trim Stab
23rd Jul 2013, 14:42
Anybody got any suggestions for routing apps or websites? I have used both FliteStar and Rocketroute for the filing of plans once I know my route. But neither are much use for the initial broad outline planning of a multi-leg route.

All I need is a big map with "elastic band" feature to stretch between start and end of route, and ability to drag the middle portion to suitable stopovers. I've tried playing with google earth, but not really ideal as airports don't show up until zoomed in, and elastic band is clumsy.

What do other folk do?

His dudeness
23rd Jul 2013, 15:10
Have a look at gcmap.com

You cant drag in anything, but the presentation might help you with the overview.

Lets say you wanna fly EGLF-UWUU (2011nm ovhd-ovhd) and have 1100nm range available...

Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=eglf-uwuu)

Now you do a 1100nm range ring map ex EGLF:

Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=&R=1100nm%40eglf%0D%0A&PM_q=*&PM=*&MS=wls&MP=&MC=&PC=&PW=&PT=&RC=&RW=&RS=&DU=mi&DM=&SG=&SU=mph&EV=&EU=kts)

and one ex UWUU:

Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=&R=1100nm%40UWUu%0D%0A%0D%0A&PM_q=*&PM=*&MS=wls&MP=&MC=&PC=&PW=&PT=&RC=&RW=&RS=&DU=mi&DM=&SG=&SU=mph&EV=&EU=kts)

Or both:

Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=1100nm%40UWUU&R=1100nm%40eglf%0D%0A&DU=mi&SU=mph)

Or all together:

Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=eglf-uwuu&R=1100nm%40UWUU%0D%0A1100nm%40EGLF%0D%0A%0D%0A%0D%0A&PM_q=*&PM=*&MS=wls&MP=&MC=&PC=&PW=&PT=&RC=&RW=&RS=&DU=nm&DM=&SG=410&SU=kts&EV=&EU=kts)

Just watch out, the prog gives you statute miles, but one can change that into nauticals...

Other than that, Jeppview springs to mind. (if you have it...)

Trim Stab
23rd Jul 2013, 15:22
Tx, will look at that.

i do have Jeppview - that is just chart viewer. Do you mean Jeppesen Flitestar? Either way both hopeless for overall route planning

His dudeness
23rd Jul 2013, 15:30
hmm... I use it often as route planner...

If you use my example, just make a route pack EGLF-UWUU.

This gives you the overview in the Enroute Chart window and if you right klick on the track than it gives you - under properties - the mileage as well.
If you then zoom into the middle and take away all the clutter (airways waypoints etcetc and just leave the airports (I´d use the blue ones) then you can see the airports close to the ovhd-ovhd track.

In the example it should be EVRA. You could "rubber band" EVRA into that route. Under properties I see the great circle distance and the total distance, which is 2 nm more for the example.

B1GGLES
23rd Jul 2013, 16:22
Several flight planning providers spring to mind...ARINC Direct, UV, PPS, Jepp...all of these do exactly what you want, or am I missing something. If you are looking for free....you get exactly what you pay for :)

Trim Stab
24th Jul 2013, 08:08
Flight planning software do not do what I want - they always expect you to know exactly where your stopovers are. To give you an example, I need to fly a plane with 700nm range from Abuja to Baghdad. That will require three or four stopovers at airports with custom facilities. Trying to identify sensible stopovers/alternates is not easy!

I have tried gcmap - great for looking at the direct distance - but not easy for finding stopovers as airports do not show up on the map.

Once I have the route planned, I hand the details over to Jetex who do all the flight support - so I don't need the massive overkill and expense of flight planning software like FliteStar (which I do have, but Europe only). I have used FliteStar in the past for route planning, but I find it an infuriating programme for routing as it so over-elaborate.

Also, Jeppesen software is extremely expensive as it has far more capability than I need. It might be a good programme for a flight ops department who make multiple flight plans, but I use Jetex for flight support once I iknow my route, and I can't really ask my company for Jeppesen Africa coverage for what are only occasional trips. I'd also prefer to get away from Windows PC software - I use Mac and iPads.

I am very happy to pay for the right sort of software or application that will allow me to do make quick and easy route plans, ideally iPad or Mac based. All I need is a big map with airports clearly showing, ability to filter custom airports, and a big rubber band!

Brian Abraham
25th Jul 2013, 03:05
Have just been playing with this and seems it may fit your bill. Includes approach plates.

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts (http://skyvector.com)

Trim Stab
25th Jul 2013, 09:12
Thanks - that looks like a good resource.

hawker750
25th Jul 2013, 10:45
Why does everyone have to think APP or download this or download that? What is wrong with a globe and a wall map? A piece of string gives you great circles and knots in the string give you time/distance. If operations people use this method they will soon learn that the world is round and not flat like the computer screen they are glued to.
We use a Jetplan for flight planning once the guestimate from above has been ascertained. I think Jetplan is pretty good but the map is better when Jetplan takes1 hour and 20 minutes to get from Humberside to Leeds. What is more worrying is when people accept that route or do not even query that it might be a tad too long.
APPS and computer progammes are all very good as long as people are not over reliant on them; call me old fashioned if you like but it is a bit like whether or not you still consider it a necessary pilot skill to do a visual approach.

tommoutrie
25th Jul 2013, 11:49
The world is round?
Knots in string?
What the hell have you been smoking?

His dudeness
25th Jul 2013, 13:14
and a wall map?

Hell no !!!!

That bloody map is FLAT!!!

I use a round computer screen... :confused:

His dudeness
25th Jul 2013, 13:19
APPS and computer progammes are all very good as long as people are not over reliant on them; call me old fashioned if you like but it is a bit like whether or not you still consider it a necessary pilot skill to do a visual approach.

Old fashioned! There you go !

Apples and oranges, mate.... I use Apps and downs and whatnot in order to minimize my workload and the amount of paper (...and strings) to carry around. I also got rid of the oversee suitcase, needless to carry a wall with a map on and a globe around these days, innit...? BTW, where in the Hawker do you carry the globe ?

Hardly a comparison to a visual, which I use to have fun and scare bloody passengers!!!

hawker750
25th Jul 2013, 14:57
BTW, where in the Hawker do you carry the globe ?

Come on, you should know. The globe is in the corner of the cockpit, next to the sextant, adjacent to the drift sight.
Seriously, on a round the world trip in a Hawker 700 3 years ago, we carried a blow up globe to show the passenger routes he could do and not do. (he thought Christmas Island was somewhere near Newcastle) We drew routes on the globe in china-graph (china what? some will say) and it was honestly invaluable. And it doubled as a beach ball. Kick your computer and see what happens!

His dudeness
25th Jul 2013, 15:07
:D :ok:

The little mans cabin entertainment. Not bad, not bad at all.:ok:

hawker750
25th Jul 2013, 15:43
Yep, better than not bad.
The owner had the habit of changing his mind every 5 minutes and usually in the air.We gave the owner the option of computer software, satcom and wi fi to run it at a cost of £485,000 or a blow up globe for £2.99 from Woolworth. He was so delighted with the globe that he suggested we bought a spare just in case.

His dudeness
25th Jul 2013, 16:26
So you did fly without a spare ? Single main Nav system ? OMG!!!

Now you blew it... ;)

hawker750
25th Jul 2013, 16:45
The CAA on our temporary "Global" Nav system approval restricted us to operations below 100 ft just in case the globe exploded due to pressure changes. Once we put a spare on board we had to put in an ops manual amendment stating the spare globe could not be inflated unless No.1 failed. (to cover a double simultaneous explosion)
Crews had to fly 10 sectors under supervision (below 100ft) to get operational approval. Ancillary equipment listed as critical were 4 spare chinagraphs and 2 pencil sharpners. This last requirement did cause a 36 hour delay as security at Luton confiscated the pencil sharpners from the crew. A second ops manual ammendment had to be hurridly submitted allowing the crew to sharpen the chinagraphs on the fire axe.
Apart from these minor points all went splendidly well.

fleigle
25th Jul 2013, 17:48
I was using a blow-up globe but every time I stuck a new pin in it would go flat!:{
So now I have a flat map.:ok:
f

Teldorserious
27th Jul 2013, 15:46
We have a beach ball Globe in the cabin that the passengers play with. Once in a while I walk back to put an updated airplane sticker on our present position, the boss really digs that.

hawkesmikey
19th Aug 2013, 09:51
Have you looked at jeppesen Internet flight planning system?

Anthony Supplebottom
19th Aug 2013, 10:01
We have a beach ball Globe in the cabin that the passengers play with. Once in a while I walk back to put an updated airplane sticker on our present position, the boss really digs that.

Ha ha too funny! :ok:

Brian Abraham
20th Aug 2013, 01:35
Ha ha too funny!The really, really funny part is he's a sciolist.