PDA

View Full Version : btinternet.com & new non-Yahoo partner

jimtherev
22nd Jul 2013, 23:07
I knew it would end in tears!

BT have obviously now migrated away from Yahoo to CP Cloud, and as a result Herself is having messages failing - e.g.

These recipients of your message have been processed bythe mail server:
"[email protected] ([email protected]);Failed; 5.1.2 (bad destination system address)

Remote MTAmxgb1.opaltelecom.net: network error

- SMTP protocoldiagnostic: 554-public.mx2gb1.int.opaltelecom.net\r\n554

Your access to this mail system has been rejected due tothe sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is inerror, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means."

"The sending MTA's poor reputation" indeed! Huh! I only just got here.

Anyone else having trouble with btinternet.com (other than the obvious, that is.)?

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Jul 2013, 23:17
Jim

I've seen no problems so far
Are you using webmail or POP/SMTP?
If POP/SMTP are you using the BT servers or the Yahoo ones?

jimtherev
22nd Jul 2013, 23:22
Thanks, MM, POP and BT.

Was thinking of trying IMAP, which I'm assured works, but I'll wait until 'tech support' come back to me. Looking on the BT site, there are a small number (4 at the last count) moaning about similar stuff, all in the last 24 hours... so I'm reassured I'm (or rather SWMBO is - I use a non-bt address) not alone.

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Jul 2013, 23:53
I don't think IMAP has worked on mail.btinternet.com for years

They never really offered it officially, and in the last years have sent people wanting IMAP to the American Yahoo servers

Its notable that BT Business customers only get IMAP if they take out a full hosted package with cloud servers / Office 365 (with Microsoft providing the infrastructure)

BOAC
23rd Jul 2013, 07:00
Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. - in a previous thread on email bouncing I said that the common repeating problem with 'MTA reputation' was with the one person in my address book on Tiscali, followed to a lesser extent by AOL addresses. The information I have received is that primarily Tiscali and to some extent AOL have set their spam threshold very high and assuming you, like many, are using a shared server and not a dedicated one it takes only a few spams from one or more of the users of the shared server to cause T and A to 'block' the sending server.. Unless you can get BT to set an instant blocker to outgoing spam on their servers (some chance!) this will happen at painful intervals. It takes up to 24 hours for the sending tech team to 'persuade' T or A that it was an infrequent event and not a mass spam. The other way is for enough folk to complain to T and A (will they listen...?) and get them to come down from anally retentive spam control.

The other AOL 'sensitivity' I have experienced a few years back was trying to send to more than 5 AOL addresses in one email - rejected by AOL for 'mass spamming'. I have not tried again.

Keef
23rd Jul 2013, 10:11
I had similar problems with AOL and a mailing list system I set up for my college alumni. It simply retransmits messages to everyone on the list, all as bccs, with a phantom address shown as the "to". AOL quietly dumped the majority (but not all messages), so the recipients didn't know they were missing anything until they received copies of replies to messages they hadn't seen.

AOL was not in the slightest bit interested in the problem. I solved it by setting up a separate forwarder on the server for each AOL user (quite a "faff").

That worked, but I did suggest to them that they get a "proper" ISP. Most have meanwhile done so.

Capetonian
23rd Jul 2013, 10:24
I have had a number of these in the last few days on messages sent from my @btinternet accounts. Any idea how to solve it? Might they be aware of the problem and doing something about it themselves? (That was a joke!)

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:
[email protected]; Failed; 5.1.2 (bad destination system address)

Remote MTA mx2.telkomsa.net: network error

- SMTP protocol diagnostic: 554-as5.telkomsa.net\r\n554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.

jimtherev
23rd Jul 2013, 16:53
Now sorted for me by BT (allegedly... SWMBO phoned me this afternoon "There's someone on the phone claiming to be from BT - can she play with my computer remotely?" and after half-an-hour's play, emails can now be transmitted again) But of course, what she did is a mystery: the boss just is happy to have her machine back.

However, in the course of conversation with the lovely lady from Mumbai, it was mentioned that BT are aware of this glitch, and are trying to deal with it globally.

we shall see.

BOAC
23rd Jul 2013, 18:53
can she play with my computer remotely?" and after half-an-hour's play, - Hmm! Fingers crossed for SWMBO. Not a good idea in general, but of course, providing genuine identity can be determined..................

Headstone
23rd Jul 2013, 19:37
Afternoon all.
I've posted here before as I'm rather computer illiterate - I can generally get by but lots confuses me.
I read this thread earlier and by coincidence had just sent a message with an attachment to a tiscali address. Shortly after I had the email returned with this message -

These recipients of your message have been processed bythe mail server:

[email protected]; Failed; 5.1.2 (bad destination systemaddress)

Remote MTAmxgb1.opaltelecom.net: network error

- SMTP protocoldiagnostic: 554-public.mx11gb1.int.opaltelecom.net\r\n554 Your access to thismail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If youbelieve that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipientvia alternate means.

However the recipient received the message OK. Should I be concerned or talk to BT?

Bill Macgillivray
23rd Jul 2013, 20:46
Having the same problem to tiscali & aol addresses as above. Started about a week ago. I guess it will be "good-bye" to BT! :ugh:

jimtherev
23rd Jul 2013, 22:20
- Hmm! Fingers crossed for SWMBO. Not a good idea in general, but of course, providing genuine identity can be determined..................
Yeah, I know. But since (in this case) the intervention by BT was triggered by my raising a 'case' with them, and was a response to my communication, I feel quite secure here - for once.
Notwithstanding the criticism of BT in these hallowed halls recently, I have to say that the three times I've had cause to contact them in the last coupla years I've had nothing but professional and informed responses. Speak as ya find, innit?
Posted by Bill Macgillivray "I guess it will be "good-bye" to BT" Not necessarily. They do seem to be addressing this problem, but if enough people hammer them and threaten to leave because of it, then it might get sorted more quickly. Do you agree?

Ancient Observer
24th Jul 2013, 13:50
Mine is still bouncing e-mails to aol addresses. However, aol to my btinternet still works. Bizarre.
Hope they fix it soon.
They have not yet re-branded their website where I go to look at my spam mail, and the apps on phones etc are still labelled "Yahoo". There must be many millions of these apps in the UK.
I wonder how they will get rid of them/change them??

jimtherev
11th Aug 2013, 16:56
Mine is still bouncing e-mails to aol addresses. However, aol to my btinternet still works. Bizarre.
Hope they fix it soon.

Update... no further trouble here since the nice lady from Mumbai played with Mrs Jim's machine, until this afternoon, quite a different little quirk. She had a phone call from a friend saying 'Tried to email you but my mail was rejected. Boo hoo.'
On turning on her machine, Mrs J actually found her friend's email had been transmitted, but with a lot of junk. Here's an edited sample:

From: mmmmmmmmmmmmm [mailto:[email protected] ([email protected])]

Sent: 11 August 2013 16:21

Subject: Re: 4 to go , 3 are shared

X-Apparently-To: [email protected] ([email protected])via 1xx.1xx.xx.xxx; Sun, 11 Aug

2013 15:21:13 +0000

Received-SPF: neutral (65.2x.x.1x is neither permitted nor denied by domain of talktalk.net)

X-YMailISG:qwxQn44WLDvdtvYG2LDNc.c6zpW3.vXdQ.4VXDL19oqbr2g.

SwgAVfW7b2Tz_MrjjVP5oyEM1q_RjeiwqDPH4JZKdWy0QVlPIizfj_25uawB

Then about 20+ lines of code similar to the above,
Then normal headers, (which don’t normally appear in heremails, of course...)
Then message: Dear nnn etc...
Anything I can do from my end? I understand that AOL and talktalk are now owned by the same mob - but do they use the same servers & protocols?

Ancient Observer
12th Aug 2013, 14:28
Both (BT and aol) working both ways here at the moment.

jimtherev
12th Aug 2013, 23:04
Maybe a quirk after all - emails from the same sender have now returned to normal...

Headstone
13th Aug 2013, 09:58
Since my post on 23rd July all has been well.

However two days ago had an email addressed to "dear customer" purporting to be from BT inviting me to click onto a link to upgrade my email to the new BT system. It was complete with all the usual BT logos, headers and footers. Contacted BT who said it was garbage and delete. The main give away I suppose is as in all scam there was no mention of my account number and addressed to Customer rather than me by name.

Capetonian
13th Aug 2013, 12:01
I got one of those the other day. It was addressed :

Dear (customer name)

mixture
14th Aug 2013, 22:03
if enough people hammer them and threaten to leave because of it, then it might get sorted more quickly. Do you agree?

No.

Its BT. They don't care, dealing with customer churn is part of their business model. BT Retail in particular show utter contempt for their customers.

I suspect for every one customer leaving them about this email thing, they'll be signing up 10 or 100 new ones on their new BT Sport service. Win-win for them .... no need to continue supporting some crusty old geezer using an email service they'd rather not continue maintaining, and chances are same old geezer is into sports and will be along shortly to subscribe to BT sport.

EGTE
15th Aug 2013, 09:05
BT Broadband customers are largely unaffected by this - excepting that they will have to go to bt.com instead of btyahoo.com if they wish to read their emails on the web of course.

So, the only people who will lose out are those who currently enjoy a FREE email address from BT. Are these people technically "customers" of BT if they pay nothing for that service btw? No matter. If the email address is so important to someone then surely the "Premium Mail" option at £1.60 per month seems a bargain!

I know that it's nice to have something for free and a pain when you have to start paying for it but it's hardly the end of the world is it?

mixture
15th Aug 2013, 11:30
I know that it's nice to have something for free and a pain when you have to start paying for it but it's hardly the end of the world is it?

And those who want free email can always go to Gmail or Hotmail, two services which I doubt will ever start charging.

I don't think BT's business model has ever included an aspect of dong something for nothing, so the eventual demise of a free email service that was there as a result of an acquisition should never have come as a surprise.

Ancient Observer
16th Aug 2013, 16:04
Blimey, mixture. Are you feeling OK? It's Friday, have a lie-down.
That was a very balanced comment on BT.

Blues&twos
16th Aug 2013, 20:14
We have all received very convincing looking emails today purporting to be from BT telling us our "@btinternet.com" email addresses will stop working after Sep 16th. Just have to "click a link".....

No mention of these addresses not working on the BT website, so deleted and made sure the kids weren't about to do anything silly. No problems - they have fortunately inherited my 'suspicious and cynical' gene!

mixture
16th Aug 2013, 21:27
Blimey, mixture. Are you feeling OK? It's Friday, have a lie-down.
That was a very balanced comment on BT.

Indeed.. and you were lucky. That very afternoon I personally saved someone's broadband connection from early demise at the hands of a BT "engineer" who managed to rip out their property's copper pair whilst "fixing" another property's line.

The chap tried to solidly deny he had anything to do with it.... until I pointed out that the sudden loss of internet was preceded by the unmistakable dulcet tones of his tone trace kit.

My list of reasons to dislike BT is growing longer by the day.....:E

Ancient Observer
18th Aug 2013, 13:28
I suspect the difference is that you have annoyed customers who want you to fix BT's sins immediately, if not yesterday..........
Those of us who are retired can take a longer term view, and write letters to the CEO and Chairman and etc.

BT have a unit that looks in to issues for those that write to the CEO. They also have a unit that look in to issues for BT staff and their relatives/friends.

Getting direct access to one of those units is the only way I know of avoiding hours talking to folk from the sub continent who only operate to a script...............although after the 3rd escalation, you do actually talk to someone from the subcontinent who knows what they are doing.

One of my customer service issues with BT was only resolved after many "BT" engineers came to visit us...............and, as you say, their competence varies widely. In my area, you can get the trainee one day, or the expert who solved the BT Chairman's problem, the next day.

Heathrow Harry
18th Aug 2013, 16:16
BT are a lot better than they used to be but they move with glacial slowness

It was obvious fairly early that the Yahoo mail connection was a dog but it took them a long time to terminate the service

mixture
18th Aug 2013, 17:42
I suspect the difference is that you have annoyed customers who want you to fix BT's sins immediately, if not yesterday..........
Those of us who are retired can take a longer term view, and write letters to the CEO and Chairman and etc.

You're obviously a saint !

I've had my fair share of email based discussions with the CEO with varying degrees of success.

I'm also familiar with the teams of which you speak, trouble is their role in life is only to deal with the mess BT Retail leave behind ... put a Wholesale or Openreach problem infront of them and they say "not my problem guv'".... and believe me, no such equivalent team exists at Wholesale or Openreach and their management team tends not to talk to directly the unwashed masses in the outside world, you have to go through various chains of spokespeople.

Not sure what your longer term view is, but I don't see BT getting any better ? Of course, to be fair, its not all BT's fault.... as I've said before, the regulator hasn't got any teeth, not even any dentures.... so its just gumming away at the BT problem, not really achieving anything meaningful.

Ancient Observer
19th Aug 2013, 11:10
I could go on for hours about the difficulty of improving customer service in a big corporate. (Before Aviation, i worked in a fmcg Co with a Big brand)
..............basically, the CEO needs to put Customer Service as his/her number one priority for about 10 years if they really want to improve customer service..

No-one at BT has put customer service as their no. 1 priority for more than about 1 year. So they won't improve much if at all.

A recent example from another sector - the Lloyds Bank CEO was "disappointed" that a regulator was going to look at their PPI Customer Fraudulent Service.
If he cared one jot about customer service, he would have been "delighted" by the investigation.
This stuff runs very deep in these big corporates.