PDA

View Full Version : CB,s and turn backs and delays.

Mr Mac
22nd Jul 2013, 16:55
I have been doing a fair bit of PAX into India, Far East, and Mid West USA in the last 3 months and have had quite a lot of eventful flights in and around large CB,S. I know this was Tornado Season, and Indian Monsoon break and I am used to both, it just seems more severe this year or maybe I am just unlucky. Wondered if anybody else had noticed on these routes more CB activity. In my youth I remember turning back on a 707 on a flight from India down to Singapore as the CB went up to and beyond 50,000ft at a guess. Now with modern radar does this ever happen, or can flights easily pick a route, or do you just wait it out. I ask purely as I have not had to wait out a storm for any length of time, or turned back in the last 15yrs, and I am flying again Tuesday which looks like it maybe an active day so to speak. Think I must be carrying a lightning rod about me some where. :uhoh:

ExXB
23rd Jul 2013, 06:54
In June we had a 'once in 20 years.' thunderstorm with torrential rain, hail the size of golf balls, and hurricane force winds.

Some pictures here (http://www.lacote.ch/fr/photos/deluge-de-grele-sur-la-cote-2728-1195830?idPhoto=1).

It does seem more severe this year, but you could have said the same thing 20 years ago.

thing
23rd Jul 2013, 07:29
I'm off tonight as well from Heathrow. Looks like it might be interesting.

Been struck by lightning before as a pax. Not a big deal other than the flash and bang is both very bright and very loud!