PDA

View Full Version : Odds on favourite...

shawshank
21st Jul 2013, 16:18
To start a thread congratulating Flt Lt Wales on his new born...

Coffmanstarter 5/2
Beagle 7/4
Courtneymil 15/1

Odds on the first person to reply "what's this got to do with Military Aviation"

sasless 11/8
we branch fantic 12/1 (with a bonus if the thread gets linked to the sea harrier)
wensleydale 15/1

Which ever happens the third post will mention that Wills is a military pilot. ;)

Any way, best of luck to the Royal Couple. I look forward to the thread. :\

smujsmith
21st Jul 2013, 17:45
And you became psychologically discharged in what year?

CoffmanStarter
21st Jul 2013, 17:50
Top marks SS ... Preemptive Strike ... Like your style :D:D:D:D

Archimedes
21st Jul 2013, 17:55
What's this thread got to do with military aviation? ;)

glad rag
21st Jul 2013, 17:57
So she's pupped then?

Tashengurt
21st Jul 2013, 18:08
What's this thread got to do with military aviation?
Flt Lt Wales is a military pilot.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

seadrills
21st Jul 2013, 18:12
You would struggle to describe HRH as a military pilot. A pilot yes but military ? Not really.

Sun Who
21st Jul 2013, 18:26
Seadrills said:
You would struggle to describe HRH as a military pilot. A pilot yes but military ? Not really.In jest, or your actual view?

Sun.

Milo Minderbinder
21st Jul 2013, 18:59
so, does the baby look like Boris Johnson?
better than looking like Churchill I guess

NutLoose
21st Jul 2013, 19:13
Preemptive Strike ... Like your style

Surely all that does is stains the carpet..

seadrills
21st Jul 2013, 20:38
Seadrills said:
You would struggle to describe HRH as a military pilot. A pilot yes but military ? Not really.In jest, or your actual view?

Sun.

Tongue in cheek but it does have an element of truth. Difficult to compare a SAR pilot with a combat pilot but maybe we shouldn't try.

Courtney Mil
21st Jul 2013, 20:42
15 to 1. Sounds like good odds to me. I may be worth a flutter if the going's good.

GreenKnight121
21st Jul 2013, 20:49
Difficult to compare a SAR pilot with a combat pilot but maybe we shouldn't try.

True... SAR pilots have a much more dangerous job, which has much greater value in my view - and in that of the combat pilots.

Ask the combat pilots if RAf/RN SAR pilots are less as military pilots than they are, and if you survive the experience you will have a different view.

SAR pilots are several levels above mere combat pilots, and have earned more respect from me than any of the combat pilots I have known and worked with.

You, however, have earned only disdain from me.

seadrills
21st Jul 2013, 20:59
That's very true. I would certainly agree that combat aircrew don't put themselves in harms way as much as the Non-coms. Having had the experience of both roles I would agree that the combat pilots role tends to be more protected whilst the SAR guys are pretty much left to get on with it.

The problem with the UK SAR organisation is that it is pretty much a civilian organisation and will become more so in a few years.

Roland Pulfrew
21st Jul 2013, 21:53
The problem with the UK SAR organisation is that it is pretty much a civilian organisation and will become more so in a few years.

Bl**dy hell. Has anyone told 22, 84, 202, 203 and the RN (sorry, don't know the numbers) SAR sqns? Or the ARCC staff? Or the RAF MRTs? Has anyone told HQ SARF? FFS, it might all be about to be civilianised but we aren't there yet!! :=

newt
22nd Jul 2013, 07:18
Just hope it's a boy!

They can then stuff all the right of succession nonsense for another generation!!:ok:

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jul 2013, 07:27
Newt ...

Primogeniture has been sorted here in the UK ... but I understand only 3 of 15 Commonwealth Countries have ratified :ugh:

We might need a small group of volunteers to undertake a few "Goodwill" visits to encourage alignment of thinking ... as the Navy doesn't have enough Gun Boats these days :(

newt
22nd Jul 2013, 07:39
Nice word Coff!! Primogeniture!!

All a load of hot air if the next in line is a boy!

And the Aristo's will ignore any change and just leave their estates to whoever they like!! Usually the first son!!:ok:

teeteringhead
22nd Jul 2013, 08:35
Primogeniture has been sorted here in the UK ... but I understand only 3 of 15 Commonwealth Countries have ratified

Interesting . . . here's a possibility. If a (misogynist) Commonwealth country didn't ratify, and the firstborn was a girl, then although she would idc become Queen of England and other stuff, her younger bro would presumably become King of those countries still believing in male primogentiture.

A boy would be easier all round.

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jul 2013, 08:53
Think of the problems with just the Postage Stamps :ooh:

Anyway ... looks like the media scrum has reached full chat ... :cool:

http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/2013/07/22/news/web_photos/174211307032039--525x415.jpg

Courtney Mil
22nd Jul 2013, 09:09
My understanding is that the other nations involved have already agreed to ratify the Act, so it's not an "if" it's a "when".

London Eye
22nd Jul 2013, 11:37
Quick, bring the odds in on Courtney, he's been doing his homework :ok:

Dysonsphere
22nd Jul 2013, 12:28
could be a long wait and arnt there some stats about the time of birth depending on sex of baby.:eek:

BEagle
22nd Jul 2013, 12:43
The daftest thing about waiting for Kate to sprog is all the time-wasting bull$hit the meeja luvvies are having to cuff whilst waiting for the Palace to make an announcement....

Presumably the delay is due to the baby being blessed with grandad's ears - and they've got stuck...:uhoh:

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jul 2013, 14:10
... all the time-wasting bull$hit the meeja luvvies are having to cuff ...

That's why Mr & Mrs Coff spent the last couple of hours having a very civilised lunch in a fine Sussex Pub :ok:

http://www.elitepubs.co.uk/the_gun/images/page/02.jpg

Courtney Mil
22nd Jul 2013, 14:19
So where are you in the picture?

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jul 2013, 14:27
Stealth mode !

NutLoose
22nd Jul 2013, 14:30
One sniff of the cork and he's anybody's, he's lying under the table... :p

dazdaz1
22nd Jul 2013, 14:45
Coffman..........So why is the table set for three?

Daz

TomJoad
22nd Jul 2013, 14:54
Hell's teeth this thread has morphed into Facebook, all we need now is a picture of the dinner plate before and after. :ok:

Anyway here is my prediction - it will be a,,,,,, baby:rolleyes:

Courtney Mil
22nd Jul 2013, 15:11
Just my guess...

http://homeisbestfor.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/1219053_plate.jpg

TomJoad
22nd Jul 2013, 15:38
Wot no Big Mac:=

Watching I Am Legend at the moment:}

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jul 2013, 15:50
Chaps ...

When one invites ones wife to lunch it's terribly bad form to fiddle with your iPhone /iPad ... plus the fact it can impact on ones general wellbeing :eek: ... so I used a stock photo from here ...

The Gun East Sussex (http://www.elitepubs.co.uk/the_gun/)

Yes ... about right Courtney ... really good food, beer and wines :ok:

Oh and a Merlin flew over ... just to keep the discussion legitimate :cool:

rab-k
22nd Jul 2013, 15:53
It isn't a plate you need, but one of these in which to deposit your lunch when it comes back up...

http://www.thevintagewall.com/images/0612MAID06.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'll happily wish any and every proud new mum'n'dad all the very best. :ok:

But when *******s like these start fawning all over the fekin telly...

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68873000/jpg/_68873177_68873176.jpg

then I'm afraid I'm overwhelmed by a sudden urge to up-chuck...:yuk:

Courtney Mil
22nd Jul 2013, 15:56
Charming as ever, Rab.

rab-k
22nd Jul 2013, 15:59
Charming as ever, Rab.

You're too kind...;)

500N
22nd Jul 2013, 16:12
rab

Who is the person ?

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jul 2013, 16:14
BBC Royal Correspondent ... Nick Witchell :ok:

500N
22nd Jul 2013, 16:18
OK, thanks.

The one I hate is that long serving newspaper royal reporter,
he comes across as a pompous ass who thinks he's better than
everyone else and up with royalty.

Will look up his name.

Edit
It was James Whitaker

rab-k
22nd Jul 2013, 16:46
BBC Royal Correspondent ... Nick Witchell http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Grandpapa-to-be's opinion of the man is certainly in keeping with my own...

Prince Charles Gaff - YouTube

500N
22nd Jul 2013, 17:01
I don't know why they just refuse to answer questions
by the media they don't like or just not invite them to
anything. They'd soon get the message and miss stories.

Or release photos of the baby and both of them on a royal web site
before walking outside the door of the hospital.

TomJoad
22nd Jul 2013, 18:14
I don't know why they just refuse to answer questions
by the media they don't like or just not invite them to
anything. They'd soon get the message and miss stories.

Or release photos of the baby and both of them on a royal web site
before walking outside the door of the hospital.

Because they need the the media just like all who live in the public eye. Royal births have never been much of a private affair- hell, in Tudor days it was not unheard of to have the whole court and uncle Tom Cobbley present at the birth. Don't fool yourself the Royal family thrives on the media, HM the Queen above all knows that.

TomJoad
22nd Jul 2013, 18:20
It isn't a plate you need, but one of these in which to deposit your lunch when it comes back up...

http://www.thevintagewall.com/images/0612MAID06.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'll happily wish any and every proud new mum'n'dad all the very best. :ok:

But when *******s like these start fawning all over the fekin telly...

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68873000/jpg/_68873177_68873176.jpg

then I'm afraid I'm overwhelmed by a sudden urge to up-chuck...:yuk:

Wow, for a second there Rab I thought you were posting a picture of Coffman stalking at the hospital:p No offence Coffman, feel free to hurl a virtual punch at me.

Courtney Mil
22nd Jul 2013, 18:33
in Tudor days it was not unheard of to have the whole court and uncle Tom Cobbley present at the birth

Actually, completely the opposite. Royal births used to be attended by a huge number of people. Very many ladies in waiting, officials, so called doctors, even (it is reported) the Secretary of State. IN THE ROOM.

HRH only has the medical staff and her husband. Much better, I think. The rat pack is outside and becoming increasingly frustrated by the wait. Good luck to them, them scum-siucking leaches.

NutLoose
22nd Jul 2013, 19:07
Typical women, keeping everyone hanging around all day...:p

lj101
22nd Jul 2013, 19:35
A boy - how lovely

Roland Pulfrew
22nd Jul 2013, 19:41
Well according to the BBC all the succession law changes were a waste of time!

Courtney Mil
22nd Jul 2013, 19:46
Outstanding news!!!!! Congratulations!!!

New thread posted as promted.

TomJoad
22nd Jul 2013, 20:16
Actually, completely the opposite. Royal births used to be attended by a huge number of people. Very many ladies in waiting, officials, so called doctors, even (it is reported) the Secretary of State. IN THE ROOM.

HRH only has the medical staff and her husband. Much better, I think. The rat pack is outside and becoming increasingly frustrated by the wait. Good luck to them, them scum-siucking leaches.

Err i.e uncle Tom Cobbley an all:ugh: Must be my accent:D

TomJoad
22nd Jul 2013, 20:17
Born under a full moon - no doubt Nicholas will be pondering and explaining the significance in all detail.

Courtney Mil
22nd Jul 2013, 20:28
Not your accent, Tom, I was saying the opposite to not being unheard of. Not the exception, it was the rule.

TomJoad
22nd Jul 2013, 20:37
Err,, ok, so lots of people used to attend Royal births::ok:

teeteringhead
23rd Jul 2013, 10:42
in Tudor days it was not unheard of to have the whole court and uncle Tom Cobbley present at the birth .. from Stuart rather than Tudor times surely? When the "Old Pretender" was born to James II/VII and (his second wife - a Kafflick) Mary of Modena in 1668, rumour had it that a substitute babe had been brought in to the "delivery suite" in a warming pan! Hence the subsequent need for lotsa witnesses.

In the event King Billy soon appeared to see off James II/VII et al at the Boyne, having previously married Mary, a child of James II/VII's first (Protestant) marriage - so much for male primogeniture! The Brits didn't generally go for the Roman way, and it was finally sorted by the Act of Settlement of 1701, which legally barred RCs - or those who married them - from the Succession. Still in force, the most senior current exclusion is George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews (Son of Duke of Kent) who would have been 33rd in line (D of K is now #32).

As Milady Teeters is of the Roman persuasion, I too had to forgo my position, so someone else can now claim my place as 37,497,254th in line! :ok: