PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dropbox security

Capetonian
20th Jul 2013, 07:21
Something has been worrying me. I have used Dropbox for a few years to back up all sorts of files. Some of the folders are shared with either one person, others with a group, and one is public. I also have a folder in which I store copies of (e.g.) our passports. The have COPY all over them but I suppose it still presents a level of risk were someone to access them.

My concern is that whilst Dropbox itself probably offers reasonable security via the password (I am under no illusions that a determined hacker couldn't get in), my real concern is that if someone stole or accessed either of my computers, they would have full and unprotected access to my Dropbox as it replicates onto those devices.

I may be overlooking the obvious, but is there any way of protecting them, apart from the password on the computer itself?

Milo Minderbinder
20th Jul 2013, 09:10
or keep the files in an encrypted zip file
Winzip has encryption capabilities built in, I think WinRar has as well. Not sure about 7-Zip

the other point is......don't retain the password on the PC. Set things up so the password for Dropbox has to be entered for every session

Capetonian
20th Jul 2013, 10:02
Thanks. I just looked and I can create documents and pdfs with a password but can't see how set one on existing documents. Step forward.

The password for web access to Dropbox is not stored on the computer but the Dropbox folder itself (I use W7 and W8) is not password protected and I don't see that it can be. It comes up as a normal folder on the Windows Explorer/File Manager thingy.

mixture
20th Jul 2013, 10:14
Capetonian,

Simple.

You have no control over the infrastructure or the staff who maintain it.

Thus you should assume the worst case scenario and secure your content prior to uploading.