PDA

View Full Version : JQ 248 Go Around at Auckland

Galdom
18th Jul 2013, 01:06
Just noticed on Flightradar24 JQ 248 went around off 23L this afternoon at Auckland then performed an immediate 90 degree right turn. Looks like someone got in his way. Anyone know the background? Unusual to turn right off 23 like that, they looked to be way below 3000'

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Jul 2013, 06:57
Don't worry about it. I'm sure everyone knew what was happening.

G-BPED
18th Jul 2013, 16:07
Herd of sheep escaped from the abbatoir and wandered across 23L :)

BOAC
18th Jul 2013, 17:18
Galdom - it looks as if the PPRune 'bon mots' of "and there'll be plenty of experts to answer any questions." have failed you. I think the answer is no-one actually knows apart from the crew and Auckland ATC. There could be several reasons, but sheep at 3000' during a go-round I have not come across before, not even in NZ.My three 'favourites' would be a little short of fuel, weather or conflicting traffic.You did post the query in the correct forum, and you never know, you might get a serious answer some time. Good luck.

Galdom
18th Jul 2013, 22:03
Not at all concerned as to the Go Around itself, just the right turn is unusual for three reasons namely;
1) The standard missed approach off 23L is straight ahead to hold at LENGU
2) The visual circuit is Left Hand
3) North of the airport is quite noise sensitive residential areas with departures normally required to climb to 3000 before turning north to head over the city.

Interestingly the trial RNAV X approach is in the news here as it has approved operators getting low and dirty over the built up area, but that is probably for another thread.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Jul 2013, 06:51
In my fairly lengthy experience standard missed approaches are rarely followed unless the crew wants to go into the hold for some reason. For most other reasons they're given the quickest route back into the traffic pattern. Where I worked, noise restrictions played no part in missed approaches.

DaveReidUK
19th Jul 2013, 23:42
Just noticed on Flightradar24 JQ 248 went around off 23L this afternoon at Auckland then performed an immediate 90 degree right turn.FlightRadar24 works by taking any position plots that may or may not have been captured by the enthusiasts who feed the system, and then joining those points with straight lines, regardless of feasibility.

Any resemblance to the actual trajectory flown by the aircraft is purely coincidental. :O