PDA

View Full Version : GERD vs Sinusitis

ALTSELGREEN
17th Jul 2013, 21:12
Last year, I discussed here, my experiences with chronic sinusitis. The months of conservative steroid treatments culminating eventually in balloon sinuplasty and reduction of turbinates. I eventually got the all clear and returned to flying about 9 months ago. I had great hopes for this relatively new procedure and overall feel a little better than I did before, but I have found it not to be the sweeping improvement that I had hoped for. Colds hit very hard and preclude flying and I find I get stuffy at work, experience nose bleeds and still suffer from that post nasal drip feeling and persistant throat clearing. Over past few weeks, I have been researching the tie up between acid reflux and sinusitis. I have always suffered from the odd bit of indigestion and heartburn but never really gave it much thought . However over the last year or so I have realised that I have probably been suffering gradually worsening acid stomach symptoms. I have asked my GP whether all those sinus issues could actually have been triggered by acid moving up into the throat and beyond. He believes that it could well be so and has referred me to a gastroenterologist for further investigation and gastroscopy to rule out any nasties and try to finally resolve this once and for all...

Bearcat
17th Jul 2013, 22:20
I'm the opposite....I had sinoplasty surgery to fix an old broken nose and diseased maxilory sinus. Constant infected nasal drip they reckon caused h plyori in my stomach with all the gunge travelling south. Since surgery, tummy issues sorted.....I wish the surgery re congestion did its job....not so.