PDA

View Full Version : Good pop up blocker ?

coldair
16th Jul 2013, 08:48
Hiya all,

can anyone recommend a good, free, pop up blocker for Window XP ?

Cheers :)

mixture
16th Jul 2013, 09:06
Please note, Windows XP is obsolete. Please upgrade to something newer by April 8, 2014.

BOAC
16th Jul 2013, 10:10
In the interests of trying to help you:-
Assuming XP Sp2/3
Internet Explorer.

Have you tried How to configure the Pop-up Blocker on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843016) ?
For Firefox, read https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/926777

I take it you do mean 'pop-up blocker' and not just 'ad blocker'?

coldair
16th Jul 2013, 11:59
Yes, I think I mean ad-blocker ;-)

Cheers

BOAC
16th Jul 2013, 13:20
Ad Block Plus?

lomapaseo
16th Jul 2013, 14:14
Ad Block Plus?

Is this the one?

cbsidlm-tr1_13-Super_Ad_Blocker-SEO-10295147

BOAC
16th Jul 2013, 14:42
Could well be, but 'Adblock Plus' will do:)

lomapaseo
16th Jul 2013, 17:55
Could well be, but 'Adblock Plus' will dohttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

That's what I was hoping to download. I was just checking to make sure that I hadn't clicked the wrong icon and got one of those redirect ads for something else via some vague name changes

Milo Minderbinder
16th Jul 2013, 19:08
for Firefox use
Ad-Block Plus AND the extra Ad-Block Plus Popup Blocker
two separate downloads

for IE and other browsers take a look at Ghostery
Ghostery (http://www.ghostery.com/)

Saab Dastard
16th Jul 2013, 20:33
Up to and including IE8 you can use IE7Pro.

SD

OFSO
17th Jul 2013, 10:25
Please note, Windows XP is obsolete. Please upgrade to something newer by April 8, 2014.

Why ? It works, it's fast, it never crashes. So why ?

One thing is so...I sure as hell don't go with this "it's new therefore it must be better" philosophy that MS promotes.

Keef
17th Jul 2013, 11:48
I sure as hell don't go with this "it's new therefore it must be better" philosophy

So right!

I use Windows 7, because the "user trial" showed it was better for what I do than XP. For many users, XP may be better than Win 7.
I tried Win 8, removed it, and won't be going there.

I have three versions of one particular photo editing product: the v5 that I bought in 1998, v7 that I bought in 2003, and v 12 that I bought in 2011.

All three are installed on the PC (the package will allow that, where many won't).

v5 is the one I use every day - it loads virtually instantly when I click the icon in the taskbar. It does what I need to do, quickly and well.
v7 is bloated by comparison - does more things but all more slowly. Most aren't things I'd expect more than a tiny percentage of users to want to do. It has one function that I use occasionally, or I'd have dumped it.
v12 takes about TWO MINUTES to load. It fires up about half a dozen "sub screens", catalogues everything I've done since it last ran, and hasn't been used this year yet. It may soon be a candidate for the deleted folder.

I bought v7 because of the persuasive mailshot and the bargain offer they sent me: hyperbole in the extreme. v12 ditto but it cured me of paid updates. I now work on "If it ain't broken..."

mixture
17th Jul 2013, 12:50
Why ? It works, it's fast, it never crashes. So why ?
One thing is so...I sure as hell don't go with this "it's new therefore it must be better" philosophy that MS promotes.

You just don't get it do you ?

Come April 2014, Windows XP will be fully obsolete.

Microsoft will no longer issue patches for Windows XP.

You do not use an unpatched Windows operating system connected to the internet. End Of. Sure, if you're going to disconnect it permanently from the internet I don't give a damn .... but if you're going to use a computer on the internet, even if only intermittently, it needs to be patched.

And please, don't waste my time or yours trying to tell me "oh, I've got this firewall and this anti-virus" ... doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid. Without a patched up core OS, anything you run on top of it is vulnerable. Fact.

lomapaseo
17th Jul 2013, 13:58
And please, don't waste my time or yours trying to tell me "oh, I've got this firewall and this anti-virus" ... doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid. Without a patched up core OS, anything you run on top of it is vulnerable. Fact.

so why should you care ?

Thousands of others will do the same thing

mixture
17th Jul 2013, 14:28
so why should you care ?

Because I'm doing my bit for the community here and trying to stop you lot feeding yourselves to the lions.

The fact is :

(a) The software developers will take April 2014 as an opportunity to tidy up their code, remove old APIs and stop supporting XP. So you'll be stuck in a time warp as far as your software goes anyway.... so not only are you running an obsolete OS, but you're also running obsolete software.

(b) Those who craft zero-day vulnerabilities will be aware that there are "thousands of others" who are equally lazy and complacent. For all you know they may already be holding back on releasing some vulnerabilities. Without a patched OS you'll be up sh*t creek without a paddle because Antivirus on an unpatched OS is about as much use as a pig in a kosher butchers.

Seriously, you've had enough time to move away from XP. Its nothing to do with Microsoft wanting to sell you something, its about the fundamentals of software development.... you can't support everything forever.

OFSO
17th Jul 2013, 17:36
I admit it... in addition to a PC running XP, a laptop running 7, a netbook with Linux, and a couple of Android devices, I have an ancient laptop running '98. All interconnected now and then, by wire and wifi, and all no problem, all working hard, all useful.

No Mixture, I don't get it, do I.

mixture
17th Jul 2013, 17:51
Obviously not. But hey... your life, your personal data what do I care. Good luck is all I'll say.