PDA

View Full Version : a/c goes tech/day off for pilots?

dazdaz1
15th Jul 2013, 14:28
Hi all.

I was wondering, if the a/c goes tech (home base, big delay maybe 10 hours) and there are no replacement a/c what happens to the pilots, do they get the rest of the day off, go home, presuming there are no other requirements for them on the day.

Daz

Dash8driver1312
15th Jul 2013, 15:38
It'll always depend on the exact circumstances and the arrangements each company has. Kinda like how long a piece of string is.

wiggy
15th Jul 2013, 16:20
As Dash8 has said it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string question"...

It might be worth bearing in mind that if it's a longhaul flight that's cancelled at base then whilst one crew might well get to go home :cool::cool: there's now a crew stuck downroute that are not going to get home as planned,...and sometimes you can get stuck downroute for an awful long time (as happened during the volcanic ash cloud incident ...) somewhere you'd really not be ( no names....).

Hopefully it balances out across the career..............

TheChitterneFlyer
15th Jul 2013, 17:29
The "Standby Crew" will get a call from Ops to say... "Get your ass into Ops asap; you're heading for XYZ"!

Truck2005
15th Jul 2013, 19:21
If it is anything like the transport fleet in the RAF when I was in. If a tech call was made then the crew will remain in CDT until the tech delay would put them out of it should it the frame come up. I.e. if the CDT was 14 hours, (assuming starting 2 hrs before chocks and 2 after landing), then the crew could just make it anything further delay and they would be out of hours for that trip.

Megaton
15th Jul 2013, 19:46
The "standby crew?" No such thing in our airline. If a crew goes out of hours then its almost certainly curtains for that flight until the next day.

500 above
15th Jul 2013, 20:09
Not in some Bizjet operations. We co-ordinate the maintenance.

ImPlaneCrazy
15th Jul 2013, 20:26
What's the deal with crew hours and discretion? I'm sure there's legal restrictions / guidelines in place but if a non-based crew for example went tech off station and went just out of hours, could they operate back under discretion?