PDA

View Full Version : class one medical to smokers

pilot dreamer
15th Jul 2013, 06:41
hi everyone,
i am new to this blog however help me with good suggestion and answers.

the problem is that i am going to study to become a pilot and for that the aviation institute has said that i will be needing a "CLASS ONE MEDICAL".
now i am soon going to get the medical examinations however i am afraid because i am a smoker.how much will if affect in receiving a class one medical. furthermore, i also use marijuana!

help me.will the medical examiners screen for marijuana(drugs)? and how will smoking affect the report?

cavortingcheetah
15th Jul 2013, 08:58
You perhaps mean that you smoke Nepalese super, a close relative of Afghan black? It's excellent stuff and it always amazed as to how the locals could carve great blocks of the stuff into any shape or form to facilitate cross border smuggling. Was that spare tyre on that 4 X 4's roof a real one?
So to answer your questions, smoking cigarettes is unlikely to affect a medical unless you have blood traces in your urine, as from bladder cancer or kidney cancer or an X ray shows up that you have a shadow on your lungs, as from lung cancer. As a drug addict you may find that the medical will reveal that fact and of course, any substance abuse such as you have described, will be reflected in a urine test, blood test or hair root examination. These are tests which are becoming increasingly common and random at departure gates for flight crews. Oddly enough, aviation authorities consider drug addiction to be quite a serious offence when practised actively by flight crews and it's not a state of health that's generally well tolerated by the aviation community as a whole.