PDA

View Full Version : Certification Of Radios

Sunfish
14th Jul 2013, 20:41
Can anyone point me to where the regulations spell out certification requirements for VHF COM under VFR flight into controlled airspace?

I can't find them in AIP. The difference in price between certified and non certified is considerable. CASA apparently require one TSO'd unit to be fitted for operations in controlled airspace but I can't find a reference.

VH-XXX
14th Jul 2013, 22:10
Can you recall back to the 13th April Sunny?

CASA Project CS13/01

Approved instruments [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-512454.html)

Again, your friends are the SAAA here and if you haven't done your MPC course yet, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Don't forget you can just use a Microair. Whilst they aren't TSO'ed under the new system, they are approved under the system prior and they are not expensive if you are on a budget.

Jabawocky
15th Jul 2013, 00:32
Yeah and don't mention all those old Cessna 300 radio's.

I am told by an ex CASA airworthiness felow that these were never an approved radio. So, what does that tell you. :confused:

If you want a round one buy the Microair. If you want a rack one get an SL40, and the SL40 from Garmin (old Apollo) is a damned good radio. :ok:

rjtjrt
15th Jul 2013, 01:09
XXX wrote "Don't forget you can just use a Microair. Whilst they aren't TSO'ed under the new system, they are approved under the system prior and they are not expensive if you are on a budget."

Is the XCom approved, or prior system approved?

John

VH-XXX
15th Jul 2013, 02:54
Unfortunately the XCOM isn't approved "yet." It has a while to go before TSO is granted.

Sunfish
15th Jul 2013, 09:19
I find it hard to believe that such questions even have to be asked in 2013. Furthermore the MPC doesn't address the issue.

Sounds like Two new Garmin GTN 's and a trig transponder and an audio panel, or perhaps Two Trig rAdios which are TSO'd. The Microair approval is for replacement in specific airframes so that unit is a waste of time.

I'm sick of this non nod wink wink BS. all this crap about what is "accepted" or current practice. the Dynon radio would be luverly but it doesn't even say it meets FCC standards, let alone ACMA. How can I legally press the transmit button on one of those in Australia? The answer: you can't.

Maybe CASA is right and they are herding cats. I need to do what is rock solid legal, period. I want the aircraft "bulletproof" from a FOI point of view and if I can't be certain of reasonably achieving that, then the effing thing is going to be landfill.

To put that another way, I do NOT want to have to argue the point and engage in chicanery to get this thing accepted. If that is expected and normal in experimental then stuff it.

VH-XXX
15th Jul 2013, 09:26
If you knew what TSO testing cost Sunfish, you would not be suggesting what you are!

Sunfish
15th Jul 2013, 09:44
TSO approval adds about $1500 to the cost of a GA VHF com. However that's not the point. whatever you use is required to be ACMA legal TSO'd or not, and if you fudge your application for for an Aviation station licence that is fraud.

Jack Ranga
15th Jul 2013, 10:06
SL40 (SL40)

VH-XXX
15th Jul 2013, 10:37
Oh Sunfish, did they tell you in your MPC that your whole registration under 33/13 is a privilege and not a right?

Your comments on the Microair are not correct, for your aircraft it would be TSO equivalent approved for entry into CTA.

Xray Tango
16th Jul 2013, 10:21
I have an immaculate TSO'd Icom 200 for sale.

VH-XXX
16th Jul 2013, 11:29
Oh crap, a day too late XT, otherwise I would have been interested!

If you have a transponder or know of a good cheap used one, let me know! I'm looking for something like a KT76, encoder and tray etc, something that will get me through until Sunnie's mates at the Government force me to get ADSB.

Xray Tango
16th Jul 2013, 14:04
Have a perfect transponder as well. Even have a rack to suit, have some audio panels, asstd others.