PDA

View Full Version : OASC - 3rd Time Lucky

Decision Altitude
1st May 2002, 22:43
Well the time has finally come for a 3rd appearance at OASC for commissioning. Im due there next month and having been before have a pretty good idea of what happens there, however, are there any gems anyone can offer (particularly those who have been recently).

Ive heard allsorts of levels for the bleep test pass mark but what is the current "pass" level and where should I aim to be hitting to up my score? (bearing in mind Im applying again for pilot)

Current affairs cramming has always been (and continues to be) the hardest for me as I struggle to recall newsy items as opposed to RAF related info - has anyone got any hot topics I should be aware of?

How is a 3rd crack at the whip viewed by a board? Is it commendable that I have re-applied or will they be cringing, oh-no its him again

Thanks in advance, but feel free to bat anything my way which may be of interest.

Regards

DA

TimC
1st May 2002, 22:56
Nice one mate :)

I'm about to make my 4th application :D. I've only been to OASC once though, having failed the screening interview twice. I'm that 5h1t :D :D :D.

Best of luck

Edited coz I spelled **** right the first time.

STANDTO
2nd May 2002, 18:45
LIVE selection. Thats about the best way I can put it. 50 p a day for a quality daily, then follow up the big hitters with a bit of web research.

When you are there, be yourself but play the game. You pass this way but once. Make it count and good luck

Rough Driver
3rd May 2002, 13:41
The only thing that I can say to DA and TimC is take the hint. Why is it that you have been to OASC so many times? Could it be that they don't want you :rolleyes: I would suggest that you focus your energy on another industry other than trying to be a pilot in the RAF, or other. Do what everyone else does and work in the city:eek:

Maybe if you are not a complete fool's you would take this advice onboard.

Hornetboy
3rd May 2002, 14:53
Geez uhhh RD.....that could be a questionable attitude, to say the least.

Jump jump John
3rd May 2002, 15:03
Don't know the pass level for the bleep test, but excellent is only 10.7, so it ain't exactly hard unless you've only got one leg or are terminally unfit.

Reckon that if you keep on plugging away then one of two things will happen - either they'll eventually let you in just cos they get sick of seeing you at OASC, or they just won't answer the phone to you any more. ;)
Good luck anyway, and enjoy the fun that is the Hotel Cranditz!:rolleyes:

Eagle 1
3rd May 2002, 16:35
Does any one know if there are any limitations to the number of attempts you can have at the aptitude testing at oasc? Only I was told two is max.

:) Eagle1:)

Decision Altitude
3rd May 2002, 17:05
Thanks for the replies guys.

Eagle 1: There is no limit on how many times you can appear at Cranwell - they will let you know when theyve had enough ;)

Rough Driver - Not even rising to that - if its banter, well yeh, top job if not drop the inflamatory "helpful" tips. I didnt say all of my attempts at OASC were unsuccesful now did I?

To everyone else (and the guys who have taken the time to email me) thanks again Ill let you all know how it goes. TimC - best of luck chum, hope it goes your way.

DA

mr ripley
3rd May 2002, 20:39
Gents,
Well done for trying.
I got in on my 3rd attempt as pilot, but looking back I definitely wouldn't have picked myself on my first attempt, I was ar*e, but I would have given myself the benefit of the doubt on the second attempt.
They would let you attempt selection if they did not think you had a chance as otherwise you are a waste of cash.

Advice (as I have done the selection cse).
Aptitudes only x2 as the theory is that you can learn the tests. If you get the same mark again then you are actually marked down as scores are weighted for attempts, age, flying experience.
But if you have passed x2 competitively (max score 180 min 20 pilot aptitude pass is about 120 but when there are lots of applicants for few places the mark will go up and when the reverse is the case it will go down but not below 120) then there is no problem
Eye contact.
Sell yourself.
But don't BS if you don't know the answer.
Quality not quantity in discussions.
Give your own views not what you think they might want to hear.
Be a good team member.
Don't get *****d, there are plenty of opportunities later for that.
Good luck.

mr ripley

nutmeg
7th May 2002, 21:53
Current affairs revision is a doddle! Obviously the papers are a good start! However, if the Times is a challenge, try a mag called 'The Week' - it details all the worlds topical editorials. Finds the ones you are interested and research a bit more in the papers and on the net. 6 weeks before you go choose 4 national, 4 international and 4 military stories; get a brief background on each and then follow their progress. Have a brief knowledge of a few others - but no need for any huge detail. Steer clear of talking about Northern Ireland - it will tie you in knots!!

Also try watching TV progs like question time - if you can't form your own opinion straight off - pinch one from this prog, (and there will be lots!), closest to what you think yours might be!

Good luck!

WE Branch Fanatic
8th May 2002, 13:28
And........

Don't do what I did at the AIB last year and say "I've always wanted to learn how to play the piano" if they ask you if you can do anything musical. Even more importantly, if the response is "Have you ever thought of taking lessons?" do NOT flatly say "No!"

If they ask whether you have considered a Marathon don't say "No, I don't like peanuts"!!!!!;)

Brush up on your current affairs, particularly basic knowledge such as who the MOD Ministers are and where UK Forces (for OASC worry about the RAF mostly) are deployed. Make sure you know where the RAF is deployed, what aircraft types are there and for what reason.

In the interview(s), DO NOT WAFFLE. If you get asked what you think about a certain issue say your piece and nothing more. Be concise and demonstrate your ability to think and talk in a logical way.

Good Luck.

Chinese Vic
8th May 2002, 16:51
Go and have a good time, try to relax and enjoy the selection process. Above all, be yourself - don't try to be something you're not. I'd advise against getting p***ed in the bar the night prior to your aptitude tests/interview, but a few social drinks would probably serve to help relax you and would also allow you to get to know your peers on the board.
During the interview, don't let yourself get flustered by tough questions on a subject you don't know much about. Front up to your lack of knowledge, and the Boarding officers will think that much more of you for it. As has been said before, don't waffle or try to cover it up.
Don't try to be overpowering in the hangar exercises, the RAF wants people who can lead, not supremely dominant characters who a) try to do everything themselves because naturally they're the best at knots/climbing/swinging from ropes...and b) won't listen to sound advice from their team. There was a guy in my syndicate that found himself stranded alone in the middle of the
"Shark Infested Custard" with all of the remaining members of the team looking on from the start line. We tried to help him, but he wouldn't listen....needless to say he didn't get in!

Best of luck, matey

CV

9th May 2002, 08:42
Best advice has to be, listen to the feedback you got from your previous attempts at OASC. The RAF want people who can take information in all forms on board. If your leadership was weak, work on it, if your current affairs knowledge was lacking dump yourself in front of a tv and become a Sky News junkie. The boards aren't out to trip you up! They want you to do well and fulfill your potential, you just have to show that you have some. Like a lot of others have said, be yourself! BS goes down very badly and, trust me, these guys can spot it a mile off.

Good luck, fly something fast!!

F/L 0867

TimC
9th May 2002, 17:41
The kipper fleet is fast enough for me :).

STANDTO
11th May 2002, 19:29
SH MONKEY

Could have been if Biggin hadn't been a load of Ar$e in '87

- thats what I keep telling myself,anyway..........

Charlie Luncher
12th May 2002, 10:34
Little dudes

The old ******s whom smell of wee at OASC hold
a file on every applicant. Within this file is the true
view of your boarding officers. The diluted view that
you may get passed by some bluntie CIO or PD staff is probably
in error. You can have access to these reports under the Data Protection Act.
I even got a picture of myself at 18 and yes I did once have hair.:D
The point is your new boarding officers will read this file, if you have made no progress on the issues they took the trouble to point out to you, they get upset.
No.1 rule Listen, breathe answer the question.

Good Luck

leshodge
13th May 2002, 12:00
Hey!
I went to OASC phase 1 about 18 months ago for my Flying Scholarship interview selection doberry. It was good fun, and i enjoyed the experience. I am going to OASC on 28th May for Pilot/WSO board. Looking forward to it, but feel i may be at a slight disadvantage now that i have my PPL. I am worried that they will expect me to be better. We know thats not true! Anyhow, my current affairs is broadly good, just got to brush up on specific areas. My fitness is good, and i know my medical shouldnt be a problem, just hoping my arms are long enough! So i hope to post back shortly in a positive manner having been to Cranwell.
Just finally, does anyone know when the IOT courses start? im just curious, say i got offered the pilot thing, when would i start training? just as a rough guide. Anybody that has done it, your input would be most appreciative. Please feel free to email me.
Thankyou.
Lee Hodgkinson

alandhall
13th May 2002, 23:06
Well I'm of to everyone's favourite Lincolnshire RAF station on the 26th of May. It'll be my 3rd visit to the OASC. Went when I was 17 for Flying Scholarship selection (passed) Went April 2001 for proper selection. was told I didn't have enough self-confidence or assertivness.

Can't wait to get back there, coz it was a lot of fun!

Anyone else going should relax and enjoy the experience.

Decision Altitude
30th May 2002, 20:23
Finally been given a date and Im off to Cranwell in June.

Affords me enough time to polish up my act and get things all squared away upstairs.

Thanks for all the advice, I particularly note the point about brushing up what was missing last time round and as far as I can see, I have addressed specifically these areas and with a bit of luck have improved across the board too.

Does anyone know how many atempts at the Aptitude tests are allowed as this would effectively be No4 (incl Flying Schol etc).

Thanks again, anyone else got date in the second half of June ?

Rgds

DA

Mr C Hinecap
31st May 2002, 21:28
Fun - OASC!?!? FUN!?!?!?? You have to be barking to call that fun! There I was, direct entrant, everyone round me convinced they were going to be a sky god, UAS types blah-ing on at each other, comparing time in Chipmonk & Bulldog, sweating in Lincs in June in my WIF suit (weddings, interviews & funerals) wondering what was happening. Having the nerve-wracking names called out and making it through to Part 2 - interrogation by x2 Senior Officers and falling out the other side wondering if I'd made the right impression. That was NOT fun - but it was bloody worth it.

MAD Boom
3rd Jun 2002, 10:22
Will be attending Cranditz for the fourth time since the age of 16 this summer.
Major point is to get a copy of your debrief from the last attempt, and read the narrative to get the true impression from the board and work on the negative points.
Also check to see on their recommendation to return to OASC- they don't ask everyone to go back, so follow their advice and re-apply when they tell you to.
It is true about the aptitude, 2 attempts only, but just because you may have passed for certain branches last time, doesn't mean you will automatically pass this time. They change the goal posts regularly, and you may find that those great scores from last year may have slipped under the drag curve, and you have no chance of re-taking them!
Although I believe there is a bit of a game to play down there, a way to act as it were, I strongly advise you to say exactly what you feel. They see people all year round, hear the same buzz words all the time, and will see through you if you are trying to act the way you think they want you to act. Was totally blunt and truthful last year, and was highly praised for it in the debrief- just didn't have what it took last year to get 6 people over a couple of barrels. Hopefully have it cracked this time!!
And finally, BIG TIP: don't wear an England football shirt underneath that lovely white shirt with your suit, and then take off your jacket infront of a couple of Squadron Leaders, the night after you've sunk 7 alchopops in the bowling alley and forgotten to shave!!!

MB

SSSETOWTF
4th Jun 2002, 08:20
It took me 4 attempts to persuade the RAF I was worth their time - applied for VI Form Scholarship, Bursary, Final Year Cadetship & Direct Entry. UAS Boss recommended I consider applying for Loadmaster. Now I fly Harriers.

So keep applying and ignore the Rough Drivers of the world.;)

alandhall
12th Jun 2002, 23:36
Well been and done it again - and it WAS fun again (Mr C Hinecap)

Went a lot better this time, got a reply within a week - I've been short-listed. Don't know if this is overly good. Not bad enough to say 'no' straight away, but perhaps not good enough for an immediate 'yes' either?

We'll see.....

Still I could try again next year!

Al

Decision Altitude
13th Jun 2002, 05:53
Got my fingers crossed for you Al.

Hope its good news, keep us posted.

Rgds

DA

leshodge
13th Jun 2002, 14:37
im in the same boat as Al, having visited on 28th may for DE pilot, have to wait again then i guess. Can i get debriefed does anyone know at my local AFCO? and does anyone know what 'short listed' implies for my future, i know what it means literally, but what sort of success, if any, has anyone achieved after being in this same situation.
Thanks, good luck to those attending Cranwell!
Lee

teeteringhead
14th Jun 2002, 06:51
Leshodge et al

does anyone know what 'short listed' implies for my future

I hope I can elucidate, although my info is a bit (about a year) out of date.

OASC has 5 levels of response to candidates who complete the full selection process.

1. Yes please, when can you start!
2. "Shortlisted" - of which see more below.
3. Not yet, try again in 1 year.
4. Not yet, try again in 2 (or in some cases more) years.
5. Never darken our doors again!!

So well done for a start, you're in the silver medal position! It means that you have produced an acceptable standard for officer training, without being a star. (Don't worry too much, "No 1" letters are few and far between).

So why haven't they offered you a place? The short, if somewhat cynical answer, is that someone better may turn up! The training system of the RAF (and much of the rest of it!) now has to run on business lines, and there is a limited number of places in each branch funded per (financial) year.

Moreover, the recruiting is not constant throughout that year. We are about to experience the big glut of applications coinciding with the end of the academic year, from both graduates and school leavers. OASC are "probably" (no guarantees!) holding their horses to see how you compare with later applicants. Your "shortlisted" letter may (but need not necessarily) contain a date (possibly a month or 2 hence) when you can expect to hear something. If it DOESN'T, then 'phone whoever signed the letter and ask!

That's the theory anyway! In practice chances are better for aircrew, quite simply because there are more places to compete for.

I hope I haven't depressed you too much! In my (long) experience, as you've got through OASC as a pilot (and remember, "shortlisting" means you HAVE acheived the standards), then your chances of getting to IOT are good.

But there are no guarantees.................;)

Robert Cooper
16th Jun 2002, 10:49
Best of luck to all you young folks waiting to start the great adventure.
I went through my OASC at Hornchurch, a long time ago, but from the
look of the advice being given in this thread things haven't changed too
much.

Look 'em in the eye, give straight answers, don't waffle, and don't give up.

Best wishes to all of you. :)

BC

topgun172
24th Jun 2002, 17:57
Hi,

im off to oasc in August for the pilot sponsership, my first time, i heard that if you have a reasonable knowledge of 12 significant events over the past 12 months you should be ok.
Can you give me any adivce, whats the arithmetic side of things like

Regards

TP172