PDA

View Full Version : Asiana crash-How stupid can people be ?

cyflyer
13th Jul 2013, 23:33
This is way too non-serious to post on the Asiana thread, but just spotted it, and thought you might enjoy it. Watch the video clip.....

TV news show ?sorry? for sickening hoax plane crash names gaffe | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5011692/TV-news-show-apologise-for-plane-crash-names-gaffe.html)

MarkerInbound
14th Jul 2013, 00:07
I imagine your question is rhetorical but it does seem people try to out stupid each other every day.

LASJayhawk
14th Jul 2013, 00:30
Honestly, I think it speaks volumes about the quality of the media in reporting aircraft incidents.

MarkerInbound
14th Jul 2013, 01:02
A point often brought up is if they are so screwed up reporting a subject we understand, what about all the reports in fields we have have no background in?

Skipness One Echo
14th Jul 2013, 01:27
A point often brought up is if they are so screwed up reporting a subject we understand, what about all the reports in fields we have have no background in?
Yes good point, I have often wondered this.

MG23
14th Jul 2013, 03:29

Reports on every news story I've been involved with have rarely borne much resemblance to reality. Part of the problem is that every news outlet wants to be first, so many don't want to invest the time to check facts properly, part of the problem is that everyone wants the most sensational headline, so they have a strong incentive to 'sex it up'.

And part of the problem is that most smart people have seen the writing on the wall for the mainstream media, so they'd rather work in McDonald's.

TWT
14th Jul 2013, 06:45
Exactly MG23 !

Which is why my TV doesn't get switched on very often.Online media is just as bad too.All the experienced people are gone due to budget cuts,no sub-editing done and they can't even spell basic words anymore (I see 'isle' instead of 'aisle' regularly).

cyflyer
14th Jul 2013, 06:48
Marker, its stupity on behalf of whoever thought up the prank in the first place, but also on behalf of the news people that read that out. I'm wondering how long after she read that out before she realised the utter stupidity and absurdiness of what she had just said.
At least she read out, Ho Lee 'Fook' instead of Ho Lee 'F!!!K' lol..

Agaricus bisporus
14th Jul 2013, 11:37
Not sure a sense of humour is stupid...inadvisable in this case perhaps.

I fancy the "perpetrator" did this completely tongue in cheek and is as astonished as everyone else that the TV company fell for it. Stupid is for the TV people...

BOAC
14th Jul 2013, 12:19
There is always such a mad scramble to get vitally important 'breaking news' onto the screen that little checking takes place and I think it arrives on the teleprompter PDQ. Witness the dreadful speeling mistakes you see on the news tickers.

lomapaseo
14th Jul 2013, 14:20
I saw this as typical office humor circulating via E-mail within the NTSB.

One who didn't get it, took it as fact and while answering a routine phone call read out the names.

The reporter failed to double check and ran with it.

Pranks are pranks and anybody may be on the wrong end and end up progressing it to embarrassment.

I doubt that you can stop office humor so you just tighten up on the progression a bit (I doubt anybody will lose their job over this except as a push under the wheels of a bus)

To me it's kind of like forwarding E-mails that say "forward this to all your friends " because it sounds good, and then some of your friends become convinced that you are stupid and gullible