PDA

View Full Version : How to assign a drive letter to a Sony Xperia Z tablet on W7 x64?

The late XV105
12th Jul 2013, 08:09
Per the title.

The device mounts via USB, and allows files to be copied, but no drive letter is assigned.
I need a drive letter for the document replication software that I want to use, to work.
Replication via WiFi works (target = \\I.P.address\folder_structure) but is far too slow. It is USB, and therefore a drive letter, that is needed.

Cheers,
TLXV

The late XV105
12th Jul 2013, 10:26
Just off on a weekend without regular network access so please forgive if I am slow to respond. Ta.

OFSO
12th Jul 2013, 11:03
Have you got "power toys for windows" ? There's a tab on there for drives which I've found useful in assiging/forcing letters.

The late XV105
12th Jul 2013, 11:16
Thanks, OFSO.

I was a long time user of Power Toys on XP but thus far have not needed them on W7 x64 (only the clone of the Power Toy for image re-sizing).

I'll follow up your idea when back.

Just running out the door!

Cheers.

aditya104
13th Jul 2013, 13:35
Check this out, see if it works. How to Assign a Static Drive Letter to a USB Drive in Windows 7-HowToGeek (http://www.howtogeek.com/96298/assign-a-static-drive-letter-to-a-usb-drive-in-windows-7/)

Milo Minderbinder
13th Jul 2013, 17:04
"The device mounts via USB, and allows files to be copied, but no drive letter is assigned"

If its mounted and the files visible to be copied it must have a drive letter. You cannot access in windows a drive that doesn't have a drive letter

MG23
13th Jul 2013, 22:27
If its mounted and the files visible to be copied it must have a drive letter. You cannot access in windows a drive that doesn't have a drive letter

I don't believe that's true if it uses MTP instead of appearing to the world as a USB drive.

Milo Minderbinder
14th Jul 2013, 10:56
seems I was wrong

However, this is relevant [Q] Mount as drive on PC - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=39829060)

From what is said there, you can mount an SD card on the device as a drive letter, but not the internal memory, unless you "root" the device

to mount the card, on the Sony
Go to Settings -> Xperia -> USB Connectivity -> USB Connection Mode and select Mass Storage mode (MSC)

Loose rivets
14th Jul 2013, 16:22
As an aside, I often had trouble seeing my Seagate Black Armor network drive. It would be there, but the 'Download' folder just wasn't. When it was showing, all was okay. It was a PITA.

Then I mapped it as a drive. Z. Even now, it often starts with a red cross through the icon, but if I ignore that and just send something to it, it seems to kickstart it into normal use for the rest of the session.

It's very handy for the right click 'Send To' function.

As it happens with this device, since getting the latest firmware, it won't go to sleep. Sits spinning and warm all day even with the correct box ticked. Daft that.

The late XV105
15th Jul 2013, 08:02
I am on line again now after my weekend travels.

Many thanks for all the help and suggestions, especially yours, MM, which was right on the money. I don't know how I managed to miss this having gone through Settings as my first port of call, but I did. All sorted now; drive letter assigned and file replication consequently running as I write.

Cheers,
TLXV.