Seems it's not just 777s...

LiveLeak.com - Typhoon jet skims over people

:eek:

Dct_Mopas
11th Jul 2013, 14:03
Makes for an amazing video though!

bobward
11th Jul 2013, 15:51
How long before one of them sues the RAF for the stress this gave them?

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me....... There are two places hardened spotters(should) never go; directly under the landing approach like this, and the same point at the departure end of the runway. Having seen a Jaguar dump all it's stores just off the end of Coltishall's runway many years ago after an engine surge, it pays to think of these things.

I can see the headline in the Sun already: " RAF playing chicken with Joe Public".
It must be the strange yellow ball in the sky that's frying their brain cell's...:mad::ooh::eek:.

Wensleydale
11th Jul 2013, 16:02
The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me....... There are two
places hardened spotters(should) never go; directly under the landing approach
like this, and the same point at the departure end of the runway.

At Waddington Air Show arrivals day a few years ago, a spotter was removed by police because he was on the approach line, on top of a step ladder in the middle of the A15. (Literally - he had lorries driving either side of him).

Nearly as nutty as the cyclists who prefer to ride to Waddington up the A607 rather than use the cycle track which was provided at great expense along the side of the road. But that's a different story.:eek:

BEagle
11th Jul 2013, 16:48
We would regularly get spotters right under the approach at Brize.

Oddly enough, the appearance of real idiots in the middle of the boundary fence would often coincide with my need to call a "Simulated herd of goats crossing the runway - GO AROUND!!!" event during a 3-engine approach in the FunBus. With practice, the timing of the call would be such that 3 x full power Conways would make their quiet voice known to the spotter exactly as we passed overhead.

Usually they weren't still there on the next approach, for some odd reason.

Almost as much fun as a 22:59 night asymmetric NDB overshoot from MDH - which created the Sound of Freedom directly outside the Stn Cdr's bedroom window....:E

NutLoose
11th Jul 2013, 18:13
I remember Brize getting a phone call from the local police stating the had arrested someone taking pot shots at the Tens landing with an Air Rifle, only down side was he was doing it on Thursday and it took them a couple of days before they thought they better tell us / enquire if we had found any damage. :ugh:

Remember it's NOT always the Spotters that come off best

It will not embed it, so click on the heading in the yellow band at the top.

THE ORIGINAL & GENUINE " BLOWN BY THE BONE" 2001 - YouTube

The incident happened on arrival day at RIAT Cottesmore in 2001.

Some photographers and aircraft spotters were next to the perimeter fence on the northeastern side of the airport next to the runway 23 threshold. This spot provided a unique point-of-view as arriving and departing aircraft were pretty close.

A B-1B Lancer 86-0104, 34th Bomb Squadron, was preparing for his rehearsal: it taxied to the holding point of runway 23, entered the runway and lined-up, while many photographers thought that the Bone’s departure would provide the perfect opportunity to get an impressive shot.

However, as the pilot pushed the throttles to the stop, to full afterburner, exhaust gases reached the spotters assembled just a few meters behind the American bomber.

Heat haze hit the photographers, some of those barely manage to escape the jet blast: some were burnt, others slightly injured cuts and bruises, others simply shocked.

Fortunately, nobody was seriously hurt.

:E

From

The Aviationist » Aviation Safety (http://theaviationist.com/category/aviation-safety/page/2/#.Ud71Imu9KSM)

BOAC
11th Jul 2013, 18:24
Years back a ???? (104??) literally bounced its wheels on the road fence on the 09 approach at Leuchars - where spotters USED to stand................

con-pilot
11th Jul 2013, 18:41
As far as dragging it in, have none of you ever heard of St. Maarten?

The Sunset Beach Bar?

No military aircraft, but still quite a daily show, including topless women. :p

A sign in the Sunset Beach Bar reads, 'Topless women drink free'. And they do. :E

West Coast
11th Jul 2013, 19:08
You had me at toppless women...

glad rag
11th Jul 2013, 19:48
BOAC, pretty sure it was an aircraft from the rear section of the Patrouille de France [in those gopping Fouga Magister's THE loudest aircraft, from the front, in NATO] as I was sitting in our spacers sqn bus trying to get away, to beat the rush, stuck in a queue just past Meteor Row when it "bounced"!

BOAC
11th Jul 2013, 19:53
Got a date for that? I thought it was bigger than a Mag. Maybe it is/was a 'regular' event.

CoffmanStarter
11th Jul 2013, 19:53
Ever so slightly "On Thread" ... I once flew with a Royal Navy Lt Cdr in a Chipmunk ... he used to fly the Fairey Firefly ... where he would hang the Chipmunk on it's prop as per a carrier approach ... and then shout "Number Two Wire" when he touched down ... on a conventional runway ... and no it wasn't the RAG end :}

JEM60
11th Jul 2013, 19:58
Ah, the Sunset Beach Bar. Memories and mammaries!. Still got the 'T'shirt!!!!
Have to confess I stood in the undershoot for an A.340 of Air Frog, but only once!!. Just something you had to do there. Scary!.

Basil
11th Jul 2013, 20:08
A sign in the Sunset Beach Bar reads, 'Topless women drink free'. And they do.
Regrettably, just used to go in and straight out to Martinique or Guadeloupe on a B747 charter to Corsair. The Froggie Caribbean islands are OK :ok:
Also been there volunteer crewing on a sail trainer.
Why didn't you tell me that eight years ago? :E

Basil
11th Jul 2013, 20:16
Just remembered: Donkey's years ago, calibrating the ILS at RAF Gatow, Berlin, in an Argosy, we noticed a family picnicking right on the C/L just at the perimeter fence.
On the next approach we had the loo washbasin filled and, as we passed overhead, the nav pulled the plug. Next approach, they were gone.
How were they to know it was just clean potable water? :E

BOAC
11th Jul 2013, 20:44
I once flew with a Royal Navy Lt Cdr in a Chipmunk - the venerable Pete Sheppard?

CoffmanStarter
11th Jul 2013, 20:51
BOAC mate ... No ... a certain Derby Allen :ok:

im from uranus
11th Jul 2013, 23:41
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n630/imnotfromuranus/5b23fceb-bf88-464a-8588-391e8cec1da5_zps59941368.jpg

reynoldsno1
12th Jul 2013, 00:06
I'm betting the (non) auto throttle system is not at flight idle .... drag curve is just visible top right

Basil
12th Jul 2013, 07:57
CoffmanStarter, Not, perchance, he of peanuts fame?

CoffmanStarter
12th Jul 2013, 08:17
Not that sure Basil old chap ... my Derby Allen would be well in to his 80's now (and I believe he's still looking as youthful as ever).

Here is a pic of him from the late 60's ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/Manston1AEF_zps69feb2e3.jpg

Best ...

Coff.

PS. Not sure what he was doing with the broom :eek:

ksimboy
12th Jul 2013, 08:37
Sweeping the glide path? Sorry couldn't resist!

CoffmanStarter
12th Jul 2013, 08:59
Deck more like given he was Navy ... a great chap ... had style ... used to fly dressed in a tie (I know Flying Clothing Hazard etc.) :ok:

ORAC
12th Jul 2013, 10:19
HiufI_LPw7w

chute packer
12th Jul 2013, 12:36
Visiting F-16 at RNZAF Ohakea in 84. The fence is around 4ft high.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/skyhawkdon/F16TRIAD84cominoverthefence.jpg

Basil
12th Jul 2013, 14:05
CoffmanStarter, Wrong chap - too old.
I was referring to the Derby (Darby) who had an entertaining way with peanuts in Cathay ;)

Pontius Navigator
12th Jul 2013, 15:48
Nearly as nutty as the cyclists who prefer to ride to Waddington up the A607 rather than use the cycle track which was provided at great expense along the side of the road. But that's a different story.:eek:

Ah, the Russ Horton Way after its sole user who got it built and used to ride with a cycle lamp attached to his helmet before such things became common.

Lima Juliet
12th Jul 2013, 15:50
Original Eurofrightner clip is not nearly low enough - try the M2000 in the 90s that left 2 perfect maingear shaped holes in the same fence! Now that was impressive! :ok:

If I recall correctly the required clearance over a road from the Manual of Aerodrome Design and Safeguarding is just 4.5m! :eek:

LJ

Dominator2
12th Jul 2013, 18:08
I do recall that in about 1993 the F3OEU were detached to EGXW. That year we had a Mirage 2000 and an F15 hit the fence. At that time the fence was not painted. The FSO came to the detached Fast Jet unit as asked "why do fast jets keep knocking down own fence". I tried to explain that fast jet pilots are taught to land 'On The Numbers' and not 2000 ft down the runway. There is no doubt that if the correct approach angle is flown at EGXW, one will miss the fence. It was, however, pointed out that when landing at 150 kts one does not look in the undershoot. It was recommended that the Threshold Markings were moved AND the fence was painted.
Of course one could select VV and drive down to touchdown. If the Brit HUDs had been a little better that would have been the taught technique.
The fence is now red and white but the threshold remain unmoved. One would argue the present location of the fence and threshold maybe legal but are they safe and SENSIBLE.
I did notice a couple of weeks ago that the hedge has now been allowed to grow about the height of the fence.
Maybe Waddo should reassess their visual approach criteria and advice given to aircrew for that runway. The Airport Manager must hold much of the responsibility.

Wensleydale
12th Jul 2013, 19:15
Ah, the Russ Horton Way after its sole user who got it built and used to ride
with a cycle lamp attached to his helmet before such things became common.

The afore mentioned gentleman lived at Harmston - the cycle track has since been extended all the way down to Navenby (after a fatal accident involving a cyclist - the speed limit was also lowered to 50mph as a result). If only the mad lycra brigade would use the track which was built at council tax payers expense then we would be excused the queue of traffic on the road all breaking to near zero when the "peloton" chooses to obstruct the road.

I was told by one of the guilty that the reason he ignores the cycle track is so that he does not have to give way at the 4 road junctions that cross the cycle route. Well - better not having to stop than put your life at risk then!
:ugh:

Mandator
14th Jul 2013, 04:28
A fuller report on the Beeb:

BBC News - RAF Waddington plane spotters get Typhoon shock (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-23296285)

Tankertrashnav
14th Jul 2013, 11:38
Lands End has a public road just outside its perimeter. As I was coming in to land on my second or third solo, possibly a tad below the glidepath, the tower were kind enough to point out a double decker bus approaching from my right.

Not sure who was more scared, me or the sightseeing passengers on the top deck, but I did at least manage to avoid leaving tyre marks on its roof!