PDA

View Full Version : Credible Flight Test Jobs

Incipient Sinner
10th Jul 2013, 20:48
Hi all,
I'm after some advice from you guys in the flight test world. I'll be looking for an FTE post with a credible aircraft manufacturer or flight test organisation in the near future.

Which would you all consider to be the best flight test employers? I'm happy to move anywhere in the world for the right job, which should be engaging, interesting and of course, well enough paid! I'm pretty much qualified for any FTE post in the fixed wing world.

I look forward to all your ideas
Cheers,
IS

ICT_SLB
11th Jul 2013, 04:17
This do?
Flight Test Engineer (2 positions available) (http://jobs.bombardier.com/job/Flight-Test-Engineer-%284-positions-available%29/1927219/)

Chief FTE is on this forum so you might want to update your profile.

Incipient Sinner
11th Jul 2013, 05:09
Thanks, I should have mentioned those organisations that I'm already aware of:
Bombardier
Pilatus
Embraer
AiM
QQ
Marshall's
Rolls Royce

There are lots in the USA but there are potential visa issues of course... And I don't much fancy living there!

ICT_SLB
12th Jul 2013, 04:05
Both those are in Canada not the USA. Having lived in UK, US & Canada would say that Canada is one of the better places to test aircraft.

Zoom-56
18th Jul 2013, 00:19
I have tested, or trained test pilots, at Edwards Air Force Base in the USA (three years of F-5 and F-16 flight test), Canadian Forces Base Cold Lake in Canada (three years in the F-5 and F-18) and trained Test Pilots with the U.S. Navy at Patuxent River Naval Air Station (2 years off-and-on). I have done flight test in the Military (USAF), as a contractor (three years with Veridian, now Calspan), and as a civil servant (7 years with NASA managing flight research projects, then performing research flights myself for several months before leaving that job.) Of the places I've been, I truly enjoyed both Edwards and Cold Lake. The latter gave you more autonomy in getting stuff done, because they didn't have the overhead for a lot of red tape. I really enjoyed the mission with Calspan, because a lot of what they were doing was testing to support manufacturers or FAA, so they could ignore any push to get a specific answer and concentrate on getting the CORRECT answer, like it or not. Good luck with your choice!

typhoid
24th Jul 2013, 02:02
If you are looking for a credible Flight Test job that is in the UK, or does not require you to speak French or German, then you may be searching for a long time if you exclude the US and Canada.