PDA

View Full Version : Upvote, downvote, filtering of messages

LGB
9th Jul 2013, 07:50
Yet another thread which within days grows to more than a thousand posts (Asiana in SFO).

Where is the upvote/downvote function?

And then filters to go with it:

"Show only posts with more than X upvotes"

"Do NOT show posts with more than Y downvotes"

... and finally:

Ability to sort posts by most upvoted (and most downvoted, for those who care!)

In lack of finding any PPRuNe specific forum, I posted it here.

Sunnyjohn
9th Jul 2013, 10:18
I don't understand, LGB.Could you explain to an SLF moron? Ta!

Milo Minderbinder
9th Jul 2013, 19:00
not relevant to PPrune as far as I'm aware

try here
How Reddit ranking algorithms work - amix.dk (http://amix.dk/blog/post/19588)

Sunnyjohn
9th Jul 2013, 20:03
Thanks for the link, Milo. The system is mainly used for commercial organisations and would-be pollsters. As you say, it doesn't seem to be relevant on Pprune because:
1 - No-one is aiming for a commercially useful outcome, and
2 - We can work the ranking out for ourselves.
And thanks for your lack of response, LGB.

LGB
10th Jul 2013, 02:02
Thanks for the link, Milo. The system is mainly used for commercial organisations and would-be pollsters. As you say, it doesn't seem to be relevant on PPRuNe because:
1 - No-one is aiming for a commercially useful outcome, and
2 - We can work the ranking out for ourselves.
And thanks for your lack of response, LGB.

SunnyJohn, thank you for your replies.

Maybe I wasn't clear, if so, sorry about that.

On many other forums and social networks, where certain topics are discussed, there are ways for users to express whether they found a post useful, or harmful. Some places, like FB, does not (yet) allow for a dislike/downvote function, but many other sites do.

In either case, any kind of up- OR downvoting would enable filtering, sorting and other ways to show the content.

If there was a function like that, those of us with other things to do than spend all day on the internet would have a chance to benefit from subjects that are bombed with thousands of replies, by getting to the point, the important posts.

Not only that, but users will have a chance to display their opinion toward a certain post, just like you can cheer or boo at a gathering to show your support - or the opposite!

Lack of response ... well, I am going back to the real world, if I don't reply here in the near future, it's because I am busy NOT being on PPRuNe :cool:

Milo, thank you for your suggestion, I will see if that is of any use :p

Sunnyjohn
10th Jul 2013, 11:06
OK LGB. Thanks for the answer, and humble pie duly consumed!

Saab Dastard
10th Jul 2013, 12:24
LGB,

There has been a rating system for threads implemented on PPRuNe in the past, but it was removed as it caused more problems than it solved. Let's just say it was open to abuse.

I don't believe there was ever a post rating system, nor does there seem much appetite to introduce such, based on the experiences above.

SD

LGB
11th Jul 2013, 01:21
Thank you, Saab Dastard, I missed that rating thing for threads.

I hope some day there will be another solution. I would really like to read something about the Asiana accident, and learn from that hopefully, I just cannot find the time to go through what I think is now 1500 posts or so.

I'll wait for some more formal reports and recommendations (if any) to come out.

BOAC
11th Jul 2013, 17:05
I'll wait for some more formal reports and recommendations (if any) to come out. - a wise decision. Although there is the occasional good post on R&N I'm afraid the senior mods there have left the playschool doors open.

Remember also that any 'voting system' is only as reliable as those voting.

EEngr
17th Jul 2013, 02:25
Remember also that any 'voting system' is only as reliable as those voting. To do it right, it will take a level of effort and complexity that the board admins/moderators are not willing to deal with.

Most user moderation systems have some method of allocating mod points to users based on their seniority or peer ranking. Not done well, this can be abused by those "in power" at the expense of newcomers. It takes careful attention and some effort to keep the system tuned properly.

I'll rate your comment: +1 Insightful