PDA

View Full Version : AMD " catalyst control centre"

Ancient Observer
8th Jul 2013, 11:03
My Win 7/64 home pro, I5/2500, with an ATI Radeon HD 5400 picture/graphics thingy asked me to download/update the AMD Catalyst control centre software yesterday.
As it all seemed legit, I downloaded it and installed it.

However, this did slightly offend my "it ain't broke, don't fix it" view of pc.s, and my "nothing for free" view of all software people, I would like to ask why they distributed this new software?

Do they expect to gain something from this distribution? If not, why do it? They are not a charity.....

green granite
8th Jul 2013, 12:10
AMD are the manufacturers of your graphic card, as such they will occasionally update their graphic card drivers to fix a bug or for some enhancement, it's called customer service.

Saab Dastard
8th Jul 2013, 12:14
Do they expect to gain something from this distribution?
Interesting question.

I think that the answer is that by providing their userbase with tools to better manage their graphics card / display they will maintain user loyalty to their display adapters as opposed to their competitors.

Further, there are possibly features of the graphics card that are not accessible (or not easily accessible) through the generic Windows interface, and their control centre software facilitates access to these features.

Conversely, if their competitors provide similar, they have to do so to ensure they don't fall behind in the arms race.

It is also possible that the control centre software reduces support costs for themselves by making it easier / more obvious to configure, maintain and update graphics card functionality and drivers.

Of course they may just be using it to spy on you! :p

SD

txdmy1
9th Jul 2013, 07:36
just dont fill in your details when it prompts you to after an update is installed. I have been using it for several years, it is worth doing the updates as they address issues with your graphics card
Mikey

Ancient Observer
9th Jul 2013, 10:53
Thanks, all, I was just curious.

It has never happened before, in my experience of pcs but normally I have previously taken the "built in" graphics/piccy thingy.

GG
I did check that out before I installed it. However, "customer service" from an IT firm is novel. Incongruous juxtapositionning. Thus, I was wondering about their motives. SD covers that point!!

Feline
16th Jul 2013, 19:37
AO - Just so happens I am currently re-commissioning a Dell Optiplex 745 which my son had upgraded with an AMD graphics card.
After re-installing Win7/64 (using generic drivers), I noticed that the text on the second display for some web sites (notably the New York Times) was absolutely 'orrible* - pixillating to the extent that it was unreadable in places.
Re-installed drivers using AMD Catalyst Control Centre** (about four hours ago), and now everything is fine.
Thereby proving that Microsoft's choice of drivers is sometimes somewhat dodgy and you sometimes you really do have to go the extra mile and install the OEM drivers.

* Actually is was far far worse than 'orrible, it was fricking truly totally and utterly 'orrible!
** Why can't they simply call it "AMD Driver Update"? Pillocks!

Milo Minderbinder
17th Jul 2013, 00:02
the default shrink-wrapped drivers from the Windows DVD can't handle dual head displays, but if you update through Windows Update the replacements usually can
However....the gotcha is that PlugNPray frequently misidentifies Radeon cards and tries to install the wrong M$ version of the driver.....hence the sense of downloading the correct Catalyst driver

FullOppositeRudder
17th Jul 2013, 00:59
Thank you all - I had been getting the same messages from my "new" W7 machine which is currently under build / test, and I was wondering what to do with it.

The ongoing generous supply of information from this board is very much appreciated. :D