PDA

View Full Version : Word. Table of Contents.

Loose rivets
7th Jul 2013, 21:54
I confess I had to ask my son to get my book's table operating. But I have two questions.

When I got back from his house, I set about making the 40 lines I needed for the chapters. It seemed to go okay, but there's a but.

When I go to the table, the whole thing turns grey, not just the intended selection. Is this normal?

Also, Kindle say I can send in the book with MS Word's table and it will translate into the Kindle document allowing it to select the chapters just as in Word. Has anyone got any experience with this?

It's just that it seemed incredible that the text would undergo such a profound change but still allow this function to work.

Loose rivets
7th Jul 2013, 23:44
Just something I posted on a writer's forum.

After a lot of grumbling about Word, and how nice Word Perfect was (despite being 20 years old.) I'm finding the toys in Word are becoming indispensable.

I've just created a Table of Contents and now find the Navigation/Find tool will show that table, and not only that, will allow you to navigate INSTANTLY from chapter to chapter on that side bar. That is a serious bit of helpfulness :-)

This old dinosaur is slowly being converted.

Loose rivets
8th Jul 2013, 08:40
I'll answer my own question. Yes the table is fully interactive when in a Kindle.mobi format.

180,000 words in I found an error. Start again.:(

Hydromet
8th Jul 2013, 08:50
LR, re your first question, it's a while since I used it, but I seem to recall that the ToC ( and other parts that are 'generated') are grey to indicate this; that they cannot be directly altered, but have been generated.

Loose rivets
8th Jul 2013, 20:20
Thanks for that.

It would have seemed natural for the selected line to grey, or better still, turn blue, but it works.

The Find (left option in a menu of three) gives the Table, and I found my chapter 30 was blank, and if selected, landed at the end of the chapter.

I was able to repair the situation with (via I think) Properties, finally deleting the blank selection box.