PDA

View Full Version : First job advice needed

xxRED BARONxx
7th Jul 2013, 10:42
Hi there im looking for some advice on which road to go down for my first job, charter or instructing. I got my CPL about a year ago but I havent flown since my actual CPL flight test because soon after I underwent two operations. I got my ATPL and iRex exams done during this setback period but now that im on the mend im really keen to get a job flying but am a bit unsure about the best choice financially, flying hours wise and career progression wise.

I do not have access to a lot of money and im not from a wealthy family so if I chose to instruct I would have to get a loan from the bank to cover the cost, as well as the additional cost of a night VFR. But, on the upside I would be able to get a full time job flying and not move away from home.

Im prepared to move anywhere interstate if thats what it took to get a full time charter job but from what ive heard off others my chances are pretty slim with only 200hrs total time and only a CSU endorsement and <5700 class endorsement (and no time in a C206/C210). Im not quite sure if some employers will make a compromise and get me to pay for a retractable endorsement or something then hire me? or if thats a bad idea for me?

Basically I just want to get my foot out the front door and get a fulltime job flying asap but because of my financial situation im just trying to figure out the most efficient road to take. If I had the money I would instruct in a heartbeat but I dont and im not sure if I want to have a 20k debt to a bank to get me the instructor rating after im already 80k in debt to get my CPL and diploma.

If anyone has been in my position and has any advice id really appreciate it,

Cheers.

DH164
7th Jul 2013, 10:59
I wouldn't be too certain on getting an instructor job so easily either. After all, you've said it yourself, you have 200hrs. If you're considering the charter route you're going to need your retractable to be useful so I'd suggest just getting that done regardless. I did mine in just over an hour and didn't pay more than $400, I'm sure you can conjure that up. I've sent you a PM.

solowflyer
7th Jul 2013, 11:08
If instructing is what you are interested in doing bite the bullet and get on the payroll ASAP. Or fill the car with
motion lotion and hit he road if that's the case might pay to do your night rating to help get current again. A tail dragger rating will also open doors glider towing or fire spotting which will be recruiting for soon.

morno
7th Jul 2013, 11:13
I understand you're keen to fly, but what's wrong with getting out and getting just any job to earn some $$'s? That way, you can afford to get those few things you need (retrac, bit of 206/210 time if you can), plus move yourself up north to get that first job. Besides, you're not really at the ideal time of the year to be looking up there anyway. So time to save some money.

morno

TOUCH-AND-GO
8th Jul 2013, 00:38
I understand you're keen to fly, but what's wrong with getting out and getting just any job to earn some $$'s? That way, you can afford to get those few things you need (retrac, bit of 206/210 time if you can), plus move yourself up north to get that first job. Besides, you're not really at the ideal time of the year to be looking up there anyway. So time to save some money.

I second morno's advice. Get any normal paying job, save up for the things you might need such as 206/210 time, NVFR, low level, tail wheel and for the big trip up north!

Best of luck :ok:

T&G

beached az
8th Jul 2013, 08:09
Baron....
Not sure if you have considered this but meat bombing worked for me for the first 800 hours or so, then went on to IREX/CIR/ATPL/Barons, Bongo's, DHC6 etc etc......
A sense of humor is required for sure and the money is **** to non existent but the flying is great fun and loads of hours, depending on where you end up.

Retractable not an issue, but you definitely need to get one going forward, so bite the bullet there as soon as finances allow.

Enjoy the journey......and STAY SAFE :ok:

Flyboy1987
30th Jul 2013, 08:32
I'm in the same boat Baron, minus the ATPL's but soon to have a MECIR.

Contemplating just heading north west and door knock until something hopefully pops up.

Will take any job if it involves aviation, looks like its gonna be a hard slog though.

Rbwoonton
30th Jul 2013, 10:33
Same boat haha except I'm fighting with the school to try and get meir done sigh :( 3 twins, 2 are always in maintenance and there isn't enough multi instructors to cope with the amount of students ready arrrrrgh Ardmore flying school!!

Ill be making the trip to the outback once I'm done in search of said flying job!! Good luck!