PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful old wreaks

814man
1st May 2002, 14:51
As I currently commute daily from my house near the home of the Dambusters to work at the home of the Harrier, I pass the rusting hulk of a Lightning aircraft just off the south-bound carriageway of the A1 south of Newark. It seems a sad end to what was once a beautiful (?) front line fighting machine and I wondered if anyone knows the history of it and how it came to be where it is.
On the same subject whilst going home recently on a warm afternoon I saw a number of fairly young children climbing all over said Lightning. As it is currently sat back on its tail, the nose and cockpit, where these kids were playing, is a fair way from the ground. Who exactly is now responsible for this aircraft? Recent EU legislation has made vehicle manufacturers responsible for their old wreaks. Should this principle also apply to aircraft manufacturers? Or does the RAF have any responsibility in checking out the people and organisations they dispose of their aircraft to?

sprucemoose
1st May 2002, 15:00
Not sure about this specific aircraft, but the MoD's Disposal Service Agency, and not the RAF itself, is responsible for shifting such surplus kit.

Check out the attached link, and you too could be the proud owner of a Jaguar GR1 or a Canberra PR7 - but sold as seen, guvnor!

http://www.disposalservices.agency.mod.uk/frames.htm

OldBonaMate
1st May 2002, 15:46
Can't help about disposal regulations, but I know a little bit about the aircraft.

It's a Mk2* as used by 19 and 92 Sqns when they were based at RAF Gutersloh. If my memory serves me correctly the aircraft in question belonged to 92 Sqn (Cobra on the fin?). The Mk2*s were, I believe, only used in Germany and differed from the UK Mk2s in that had had the 30mm Adens put back in the nose a la Mk1. Other Lightnings did not get the guns back until the Mk6 when they were mounted in the front of the enlarged ventral fuel pack.

The aircraft in the scrap yard south of Newark has been there for at least 25 years to my knowledge.

;)

DamienB
1st May 2002, 15:55
It's not in a scrap yard - it's in what used to be the yard of A1 Commercials, some sort of haulage business I think it was. A1 folded and the yard has been cleared of all their trailers etc., leaving just the Lightning. Apparently the bloke who owns it likes it just as it is thankyouverymuch and delights in telling people who enquire into rescuing it to 'F**k off'.

It's certainly in a dangerous condition, with all sorts of jagged edges and creaking joints (the wings and tail are patched back on with big rusty sheets of metal, having been cut off at some point in the past). Everything easily nickable has been nicked, naturally, and last time I saw it the locals had succeeded in shattering the canopy - no mean feat considering it's nose high attitude.

Firestreak
1st May 2002, 17:43
It's actually a wreck of an F2A, I must confess to having flown it. The 2As were Mk2s with the bigger wing, fin and ventral tank of the F6 but retaining the smaller (relatively anyway) engines. So, still lots of poke and plenty of fuel (again relatively) made for a lovely aircraft.

The Mk2 and 2A kept the guns in the upper nose, it was the F3s and 6s that couldn't have the guns there as the updated OR 946 instruments occupied that space, hence the guns in the front of the ventral in the Mk6.

OldBonaMate
1st May 2002, 23:37
Thanks for the correction Firestreak - I was nearly right! We must have crossed paths at some time, because it was operational in my time in Germany for sure.

:) :) :)

Firestreak
3rd May 2002, 19:43
OBM, if you can tell me what colour you painted your Bonedome, I'll probably have a picture with my pipper buried in it!

OldBonaMate
3rd May 2002, 22:07
In your dreams, Firestreak! You couldn't have got low enough.

:D :D :D

Audax
5th May 2002, 05:54
:D Firestreak, as an Air Defender myself it hurts me but I must agree with OBM, there is nothing quite so low as a Harrier pilot!!!

:D :D :D :D :D