PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 screen display

jackieofalltrades
7th Jul 2013, 01:35
I'm looking for some PPrune advice with Windows 7 display. Please, I don't want snide comments like "Buy a Mac" or "switch to XP" etc

I run windows 7 on an Acer laptop, and recently (about a week or so) the display has changed so that when I maximise a window part of the bottom is lost under the toolbar. For example in Excel the tabs Sheet 1, Sheet 2 etc appear under the icons in the toolbar, and in Chrome, the bottom of the webpage is too under the taskbar.

If I resize the window, it ends up with a border that is displeasing to look at, and wasted space at the top of the screen.

I've tried resolution in the control panel, but can't seem to fix it.

Any helpful suggestions to rectify would be appreciated!

green granite
7th Jul 2013, 06:59
No idea, but, as a possible work-around, try right clicking on the taskbar, select properties and enable 'autohide the taskbar'

BOAC
7th Jul 2013, 07:47
Please, I don't want snide comments like "Buy a Mac" or "switch to XP" etc - you'll have to hope some of our regular grumps don't answer your post, then:)

I'm not sure what the problem you see is - the taskbar will always cover the bottom of the screen if 'Autohide' is not selected as gg says. I think this was the same in XP and 98/2000 and possibly 95.

Follow gg's advice, and in addition select rt click/properties on the taskbar - you'll find a stack of amazing options there. Unlocking the TB enables you to move it to another 'side' of the screen when lo!' the missing part is revealed.

For the Excel sheet tab issue, (assuming 2007/2010) check File/options/advanced and scroll down to 'display options for this workbook' and check the sheet tab setting.

I cannot help with chrome as I have a 'disinfected yardbroom' approach there:)

Saab Dastard
7th Jul 2013, 10:22
the taskbar will always cover the bottom of the screen if 'Autohide' is not selected

This is not the case - default behaviour in Windows 7 (and probably earlier, just can't check) is that maximised application windows automatically adjust to fit the screen depending on whether or not the taskbar is set to "auto-hide" or not.

SD

BOAC
7th Jul 2013, 11:07
Win7.Firefox - with autohide selected.the taskbar covers the 'Internet Brands Careers button on mine - no resizing..

Saab Dastard
7th Jul 2013, 12:08
BOAC,

I may not have described it well.

if autohide is NOT selected, the default behaviour is that applications are slightly less than full screen, even when maximised, to allow for the taskbar.

And if Autohide IS selected, the application screen is full size and the taskbar DOES obscure the bottom of the app screen when it is in use.

SD

jackieofalltrades
7th Jul 2013, 12:50
Thanks for the replies. I'd rather not 'auto-hide' the taskbar as there's several things on there I use regularly that I like to see all the time. Including the clock. Not majorly important I know, but a preference to how the screen set-up for me works best.

This is not the case - default behaviour in Windows 7 (and probably earlier, just can't check) is that maximised application windows automatically adjust to fit the screen depending on whether or not the taskbar is set to "auto-hide" or not.

This is what used to happen for me, and is how I like my windows to be when maximised. However, for some reason it doesn't seem to do that anymore. I was wondering if it's a 'side bug' from a recent Windows update? And thus if anyone knew if a fix will be released soon.

green granite
7th Jul 2013, 14:22
You could try to resize the taskbar, ie make it less tall.

Right-click an empty area on the taskbar. If Lock the taskbar has a check mark next to it, the taskbar is locked. Unlock it by clicking Lock the taskbar, which removes the check mark.
Point to the edge of the taskbar until the pointer changes into a double-headed arrow** Picture of an arrow that indicates the taskbar is ready to be resized, and then drag the border to make the taskbar the size you want.

Sunnyjohn
7th Jul 2013, 20:49
Please, I don't want snide comments like "Buy a Mac" or "switch to XP" etc Strangely, Jackie, and I don't know whether this'll make you feel better or worse, I've had exactly the same problem on my Mac! The solution, which I found by googling the question, was almost exactly the same as that given to you for Windows 7. There you go . . .

Loose rivets
7th Jul 2013, 21:47
There used to be an "Always on Top" option. Haven't seen it for years, but can that be what's causing the issue?

Saab Dastard
7th Jul 2013, 21:54
I was wondering if it's a 'side bug' from a recent Windows update?
Unlikely. I'm running Win 7 Pro, fully up-to-date with patches, and I have no problems.

More likely something you have installed, or a video driver update - you haven't let Windows Update apply a graphics driver, have you?

I would recommend only to update hardware with the drivers direct from the 3rd party provider.

SD

jackieofalltrades
8th Jul 2013, 02:32
I don't see any updates in the recent history that would affect graphic displays or video drivers etc.

I've tried resizing the taskbar, and other programs, and neither seem to achieve the result I'm after.

I am truly perplexed by this. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks all.

Loose rivets
8th Jul 2013, 03:06
Got me curious.

To my surprise, my full screen is slightly reduced by the Task Bar. I only use the Use Small Icons setting, so the effects are minimal. I await the answer with baited breath.

green granite
8th Jul 2013, 10:03
Silly question jackieofalltrades, have you tried pressing F11?

jackieofalltrades
8th Jul 2013, 18:30
I hadn't tried F11, and to be honest didn't know about that shortcut. Just tried it now and it takes Chrome to full screen covering the taskbar, but doesn't rectify the problem I'm experiencing.

Saab Dastard
8th Jul 2013, 18:41
A few things worth trying: My locked taskbar overlaps maximized windows. - Microsoft Community (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/my-locked-taskbar-overlaps-maximized-windows/b1c3c76b-71c0-4bdd-9d6a-1520f1ef9f38)

SD

jackieofalltrades
8th Jul 2013, 21:00
Thanks SD!!

From the link, one person had posted the below advice, which worked for me.

This worked perfectly for me :

Takes a minute to work.

1)Set AUTOHIDE on.
2)goto taskmanager and kill the explorer.exe (end the process)
3)start new task and type in explorer.exe
4)should return back to normal otherwise set autohide off
5)kill and restart the explorer.exe

Saab Dastard
8th Jul 2013, 22:24
Knowing what the default should be, something like that that forces a reset back to default is the way to go.

SD