PDA

View Full Version : DC3 over Wales

yarnsplicer
6th Jul 2013, 14:18
Just sitting having a pleasant salad and beer for lunch, when a DC3 - in what appeared to be full D-day paint job - ambled past flying south over Abergavenny. Was it real - or was it too many Stellas?

SincoTC
6th Jul 2013, 15:02
I think you did see what you thought you did, so you'd better keep drinking :)

The one operated by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

RAF BBMF - Dakota ZA947 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/dakota947.cfm)

Don't know where it was going (Waddington maybe), but it did a flypast at Cosford on the second

BBMF C-47 "Dakota" - YouTube

Scott C
6th Jul 2013, 15:04
It flew over my house about 2 hours ago. I'm in Tamworth, about 15 miles north of Birmingham.

chevvron
6th Jul 2013, 15:44
Hm that port wing looks decidedly dodgy; hardly surprising since when it was operated by Transport Flight at RAE Farnborough, the port undercarriage collapsed just before takeoff one day (c1990) and it ended up resting on the port wingtip with the upper skin of the wing decidedly buckled!

yarnsplicer
7th Jul 2013, 13:01
Thanks for that, SincoTC; most informative. So, I can have more Stellas for lunch today - and I'll keep looking upward.

teeteringhead
7th Jul 2013, 15:30
Also overflew the Shawbury perimeter track "Fun Run". Now there's an oxymoron, particularly on a day like this .........

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Jul 2013, 23:01
You were in Abergavenny and you were drinking Stella???? :{

yarnsplicer
8th Jul 2013, 10:07
It was free, it was free!!

Varipitch
14th Jul 2013, 11:14
I was home in Malvern listening to the Test Match when a familiar sound reached my ears! Looking west over the Malvern Hills-there WAS the DC3 at low level heading towards me-wonderful!
Whilst on the subject of DC3's can anyone enlighten me what became of the 3's that I was connected with on 3 Squadron Rhodesian Air Force New Sarum.