PDA

View Full Version : Waddo CAVOK ... All Weekend !

CoffmanStarter
6th Jul 2013, 08:16
Good wishes to everyone involved for a safe and thrilling Air Show this weekend :ok:

http://www.waddingtonairshow.co.uk/images/branding/2012/was_small_logo.png

Take care Red4 ... Don't stay out in the sun too long :=

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/image_zpsf49ff8b3.jpg

That's got to hurt :eek:

Does that make him a Red, Red Arrow ?

TOWTEAMBASE
6th Jul 2013, 11:30
Listening to airshow FM on line, sounds manic. No advance ticket then no entry today. Still have some tomorrow apparently. Lets hope a safe weekend had by all

NutLoose
6th Jul 2013, 12:24
NAM's already had the first visitors who have given up trying to get into the Waddington Airshow; apparently there're also travel issues around Newark (A1/A46/A17 junction & in Newark itself), which has caused some passenger delays for the Airshow Helicopter Shuttles that are operating from NAM (people stuck in traffic were late arriving etc.), however everyone has now been safely flown out to Waddington.

NAM is on extended opening from 0800 hours to 1900 hours today and tomorrow.

RAF Waddington International Airshow may not have tickets on the gate. (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?125184-RAF-Waddington-International-Airshow-may-not-have-tickets-on-the-gate)

Might help someone :)

4mastacker
6th Jul 2013, 12:54
Junior daughter, who lives in Bracebridge Heath, has "escaped" to visit us whilst the show is on. She said that the traffic queues on the A15 were at least 12 miles long* with the folks caught up in the queue looking uncomfortably hot in this unusual weather.

*Disclaimer - junior daughter's measurement assessment skills are in the "few, not many, quite a few, lots" category.

NutLoose
6th Jul 2013, 12:55
Rofl......

CoffmanStarter
6th Jul 2013, 13:13
Looks like Red4 is going prepared ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOe_GM4CcAAza6B.jpg

Mind you a bit of PX24 works as well :}

langleybaston
6th Jul 2013, 15:03
Disclaimer - junior daughter's measurement assessment skills are in the "few, not many, quite a few, lots" category.

That is very precise compared with

ONE

TWO

PLENTY/ LOTS

which reigned among my tribe.

Wensleydale
6th Jul 2013, 19:23
junior daughter's measurement assessment skills are in the "few, not
many, quite a few, lots" category.

That is very precise compared
with

ONE

TWO

PLENTY/ LOTS

which reigned among my
tribe.

The usual unit of any measurement in Lincolnshire is the "furkin".

Too furkin heavy
Too furkin expensive
Too furkin small

etc etc.

BEagle
6th Jul 2013, 19:31
*Disclaimer - junior daughter's measurement assessment skills are in the "few, not many, quite a few, lots" category

Are you sure said measurement assessment skills aren't simply limited to "Oh God...oh God....oh God...yes, Yes, YESSS!!!"

:E:E

TOWTEAMBASE
6th Jul 2013, 20:16
Wonder how come no voyager presence, even static. They have 6 now after all

Waddo Plumber
6th Jul 2013, 21:06
You'd have difficulty beating 1976's Waddo show, with Eric Macey at the helm. Up there with the 1986 Coningsby one.

212man
6th Jul 2013, 21:36
You missed the "Fingers".....

smujsmith
6th Jul 2013, 22:05
Waddo Plumber #11,

I would have to agree in both of your choices. Having attended both. I would say that the "last Lightning" display at Binbrook in August 1987 was a classic that would take some beating though. Low clag, other formations and displays cancelling due to weather and they just did everything, Lightning wise, twice to fill the gaps. But then, in the 80s I think air displays were not subject to the restrictions that apply these days. We were just lucky to have had the experience I suppose.

Smudge

PS. I particularly remember the survival scramble, up into the low overcast. I just clenched buttocks and hoped everything would go OK:eek:

Wander00
7th Jul 2013, 09:53
I too was in the rain at the "Last Lightning Display" Still have a photo somewhere of IB doing about M.98 and the shock waves showing like a schlieren photo

NutLoose
7th Jul 2013, 10:01
That's it rub it in..........

Came off nights at Brize 730pm to 730am, we drove to Binbrook and never got closer to the place than about 3 miles, stuck in traffic, in the end we turned round and headed back to Brize, got back and changed into uniform turning up 10 mins late for shift, Sootie Sgt I went with said don't worry it'll be a quiet night... My quiet night was working all night outside doing an FCU change on a Ten.... I finished that puppy at about 630 AM and heading inside found he'd spent most of the night asleep.... Finished shift at 730am and collapsed in bed, having not even seen a bloody Frightning.....

CoffmanStarter
7th Jul 2013, 11:53
@#9 ...

Nurse ... Kindly up the dose of Bromide in Mr BEagle's Tea please :}

4mastacker
7th Jul 2013, 15:43
Are you sure said measurement assessment skills aren't simply limited to "Oh God...oh God....oh God...yes, Yes, YESSS!!!"

A comment based on the quality of the company you keep Mr BEagle? - should keep your cash in your wallet. ;) Junior daughter may be blond and not spot-on when assessing the length of traffic queues, but she's as sharp as a new pin when she's checking folks coming through the Green Channel. You may encounter her someday!

smujsmith
7th Jul 2013, 19:33
Ahh Coff,

Now we resort to "chemical warfare" on young Beags !!!!! What next, Nuke the Jocks ? Irradiate the Irish ? You are definitely one hard man on a chap who obviously has a few peccadillos. Mind you, I'm beginning to have my worries;)

Smudge:ok:

Willard Whyte
7th Jul 2013, 22:29
Was there an air show then? Precious little sign of any flying over Navenby this weekend. Plenty of cars stuck in the traffic jam on the high street mind. Couldn't park outside the bakers on Saturday morning either.

CoffmanStarter
8th Jul 2013, 07:20
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOnDu6KCQAIwDsN.jpg

Congrats to RAF Chinook Display Team for a very well deserved 'Best Display' this weekend at Waddo :D:D:D:D

NutLoose
8th Jul 2013, 17:18
Shame they couldn't find a full decanter :ok:
so do they take it in turns to wear the issued watch?

Wensleydale
9th Jul 2013, 07:03
so do they take it in turns to wear the issued watch?

I'd have thought that they'd all have Rotary watches?

SASless
9th Jul 2013, 13:39
The folks from up Wesham way came Second in the Static Display thing.....Miss Jo is always a Winner!

It would appear the RAF Chinook bunch do not recruit based upon looks.:E

Could be the last?
9th Jul 2013, 19:27
Can someone clarify whether the Waddington Airshow is run along the same lines as RIAT, and if so where does all the profit go?

middleground
9th Jul 2013, 19:33
Once all bills (Fuel contractors etc) have been paid, the remainder goes to a variety of charities some national some local. Millions of £ since Air show started.

Wensleydale
9th Jul 2013, 19:34
According to the Waddington Air Show website....

The RAF Waddington International Air Show is a large event regularly
attracting over 125,000 visitors. The main purpose of the Air Show is to
increase public awareness and understanding of the work of the Royal Air
Force. Any surplus funds generated are donated to the RAF Benevolent Fund,
the RAF Association and to local charities and worthy causes. To date,
over £2,800,000 has been raised for these worthy causes.

cuefaye
9th Jul 2013, 19:35
So was it a good airshow?

TheWizard
9th Jul 2013, 21:04
Yeah, it's so boring seeing the same old Viggen, ALCA, Gripen, Vulcan etc etc :rolleyes:

CoffmanStarter
10th Jul 2013, 08:45
We'd all like to see more aircraft ... the sad fact being ... we can't afford them :(

We're unlikely to see the numbers of both static and flying military aircraft as seen at, say, the Coronation Review in 1953 held at Odiham.

http://www.airforce.mil.nz/downloads/html/afn/AFN-July-2012-web-web-images/shackeltons%20over%20Odiha_fmt.jpeg

http://www.assetstorage.co.uk/AssetStorageService.svc/GetImageFriendly/721213467/700/700/0/0/1/80/ResizeBestFit/0/PressAssociation/20C34FB7199037211822BADDCC39B74F/aviation-royal-air-force-coronation-review-odiham.jpg

That's why keeping the Reds is an absolute priority to keep the RAF in front of the voting public ...

Coff.

Stitchbitch
10th Jul 2013, 18:25
Coff, it's alright mentioning the warm up act, but you're forgetting the main event :E

Willard Whyte
10th Jul 2013, 23:57
That's why keeping the Reds is an absolute priority to keep the RAF in front of the voting public ...

'P**sing in to the wind' springs to mind.

pr00ne
11th Jul 2013, 00:47
SASless,

"It would appear the RAF Chinook bunch do not recruit based upon looks"

So, SASLess, do tell us how you DO like your men to look.

CoffmanStarter
11th Jul 2013, 07:21
Stitch, WW ...

My point was ineloquently made ...

It is very unlikely, no matter how sad, that we will see the RAF equipped with large numbers of aircraft as, say, in the 50's, 60's and the early 70's. The politicians don't want to "afford" them (words chosen carefully) ...

Therefore to remind the great unwashed that the UK still has an Air Force ... the REDs remain an essential asset in keeping the existence of the RAF in the mind of the voting public. :ok: