PDA

View Full Version : How to navigate directly to a fix via the fmc

wylie233
5th Jul 2013, 22:38
Hello,

At gatwick, for RWY 08R, i turned into the final approach around MAY23, well that is what i was meant to do. I was flying inbound to MAY23, knowing its heading and distance away, but my problem was because the Nav display was so packed, i could not make out where MAY23 was exactly, so, is there a way to either program it so only certain fixes appear (MAY23 is a fix right?), so that i can see it easily, or, to use the FMC to draw a route to it, hit LNAV, so that i can get there automatically...?

Thanks for any help!

P.S, I had to go on local map every 20 secs to check where MAY23 was... tedious.

PP.S, i am on a flight sim - incase you were scared i was a real pilot.

PPP.S, I am flying a B777-200

Thanks again!

Jwscud
6th Jul 2013, 09:50
You probably have too much information selected to appear on the Nav Display. The EFIS Control panel (on the left end of the MCP for the captain) has switches allowing you to decide what to display. What you have selected is also shown on the left side of the Nav Display. If you just select these pushbuttons until the display declutters you should be able to see what you want to on the display.

I am guessing a bit on the 777 but if it's like the 73 it should have:

WXR - Weather Radar
STA - Navigational beacons
WPT - All airways waypoints
ARPT - Airports meeting certain criteria (generally runway length)
DATA - shows data for route waypoints (ETA, level restrictions &c)
POS - shows the aircraft position from different sources
TERR - shows GPWS terrain

You should see the effect on the display when you turn them on and off.

To go direct to a waypoint, on the FMC LEGS page, press the button next to the waypoint (L2, L3 &c), then press LEGS again to bring up LEGS page 1, then press the L1 button to put it into the active waypoint. The light above the EXEC button should illuminate and the route will be displayed in white dashed line on the Nav Display. If it's what you want to do, press EXEC and you will be able to follow it. It not, you well see before you execute it an <ERASE prompt in the bottom left of the FMC - press this and your modifications will disappear.

Hope it helps.

BOAC
6th Jul 2013, 13:45
1) Select ILS R08R in the FMC approach section
2) Make sure WPT is not selected.
3) Back up with MAY selected (it will display on the RDMI, look for 277 radial)
4) Move MAY23 to the 'active waypoint' as per jws if you feel you need to, although there should be very little 'clutter'..

Bingo.(MAY23 is a fix right?) - technically, no - it is a procedure waypoint.

wylie233
6th Jul 2013, 16:48
Hold on, where abouts on the fmc is this? the approach section...? where is this?

thanks a lot

wiggy
6th Jul 2013, 18:26
Assuming MAY23 is on your loaded route (you have got a route/approach loaded..????)' then as others have said:

1. Select the FMC Legs page
2. Find "MAY 23", should be in the left hand column, may not be on the first page.
3. "line select" it by pressing the FMC key to the immediate left of where "MAY23" is situated. You should now see "MAY23" written bottom LHS of The screen.
4. Make sure you are on legs page 1...
5. Press top left key adjacent to screen, that should put "MAY23" to top of screen.
6. Press the (now illuminated) execute light.
If in LNAV "aircraft" should turn direct to MAY23......

BOAC
6th Jul 2013, 18:28
DEP/ARR Key?

wiggy
6th Jul 2013, 18:31
:ok:

If it's on the arrival..I don't have the plates to hand and not a LGW regular...

wylie233
6th Jul 2013, 19:36
Oh i see, no, its not part of my route, its part of "initial approach procedures charts" which i use if i do not have ATC, the chart is

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-2D6E054AC82934D489C58CC8399A1628/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGKK_7-7_en_2012-09-20.pdf

- so as you can see, MAY is the last part of my route (the STAR) so from there i must get to MAY23, i know the heading and distance, although it is very hard to be accurate (if i am not, i will fail to intercept the LOC), so thats why i was hoping the FMC could help...

Thanks all

BOAC
6th Jul 2013, 20:35
I take it from your info that your FS programme does not have the facility to load instrument approaches into the system. I suggest then you make a real 'FIX' out of 'MAY23' (MAY277/23) in the FMC and then it will stick out like the proverbial on the screen.