PDA

View Full Version : Conningsby 1975 ish

cngaero
5th Jul 2013, 09:38
Good morning all,

I've hovered around this site for a while now and always enjoy the banter between the guys and gals here.

I've had a lifelong interest in the RAF and I'm envious of you all being able to "live your dream" and fly military hardware. I only got to reach low houred PPL status, but still enjoyed it all the same.

Anyway enough of my waffle.

I was recently browsing some old aircraft photographs I had taken about 1975 whilst peering (drooling) over the fence at RAF Conningsby. I had been staying with my aunt who owned the Ebrington Arms in Kirkby on Bain and she introduced me to a gentleman called Jan Teague who was at the time a Chief Tech with the BBMF.

Does anyone remember Jan or know of his whereabouts now?

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Regards,

Chris.

salad-dodger
5th Jul 2013, 12:48
Jan Teague
Sounds like Antique
Works on the BBMF

just saying.

S-D

Dogrose
15th Jul 2013, 19:13
Hello Chris

This Jan Teague feel free to email me - you can do it through this forum

Regards
Jan

NutLoose
15th Jul 2013, 23:47
Cool, love to see something positive happen from requests.:D

thing
16th Jul 2013, 15:26
There's a name from the past! I was at Conners in '75 on the OCU and Jan was well known on the unit although I doubt he remembers me as I was merely a sproglet at the time. Hello Jan, hope you are in good health.

Talking of pubs, by odd coincidence I used to drink at the Red Lion at Revesby when I was at Coningsby. Many years later when my son told my daughter in law that they were getting married, DIL's mum came to meet us to do the 'Hello we're getting stung for a wedding I believe' meeting. Turns out she used to live at the Lion, her parents used to own it. I would have been drinking there when she was a willowy blond. Incidentally she is now one of our closest friends.

I also courted a young lady from the White Hart for a while, the first pub out of the camp; owned by Paddy Doran, ex WO Chef and a top bloke. A motorcycling friend of mine Oggy Fish married one of his other daughters.

Crikey I feel all nostalgic. Summer of '76 swimming in the Bain and all that.

I'll shut up now.

Dogrose
18th Jul 2013, 09:36
Great to hear from you,still going strong,hope you are the same.I agree Paddy is a great bloke. Although i live a couple of miles away from RAF Valley ,i have only been to 1 open day.Left early,not my kind of service anymore. My brother,ex RAF has daughter living up that way who is married to Sgt.Just a little update,
Jan

mr snow
19th Jul 2013, 21:18
Paddy and Josie Doran's pub was called the White Swan. Myself and the rest of 29 Sqn's Engineers practically lived in there during the late 70s early 80s.

thing
20th Jul 2013, 14:16
Paddy and Josie Doran's pub was called the White Swan. Myself and the rest of 29 Sqn's Engineers practically lived in there during the late 70s early 80s.

Typo on my part, it was indeed the White Swan. They used to open at 10.30 on a Sat morning so after a hefty breakfast me and my mate used to be there waiting outside the doors. We'd stay there until around 1530, go back, get changed, big dinner then into the bowling alley bar which opened at 1800. Few sherberts in there and then to the bop until 0200. Don't know where we found the enerrgy looking back.

By the way does anyone remember Eddie who used to run the bowl? I'm going back to around '75. He was a flight eng on lancs during the war. Lovely bloke, often wondered what happened to him.

SOSL
20th Jul 2013, 14:54
You have just reminded me of how important the Stn Bowling Alleys were. I don't want to de-rail this thread so I will start a new one.

Rgds SOS