PDA

View Full Version : Flash Player oddity?

Cornish Jack
4th Jul 2013, 17:37
G'day all.
SWMBO uses BBC Iplayer to keep up with favourite programmes. Over the last few days the BBC home page keeps 'popping up' a small dialogue box requesting that the viewer allows or denies more storage space for Flash player on the machine. The address of the originator is emp.bbci.co.uk but attempting to access that site brings up a 'not found'. I suspect that it is a request for cookie 'planting' but can't get any sensible info. Any thoughts from any of our experts, please?
TIA

westhawk
4th Jul 2013, 19:19
I've had this "oddity" as well. In Windows 7 using flash player 11. I got rid of the offending dialogue box in the middle of my video by opening the "flash player settings manager" and ticking the the box that prevents sites from storing data on the hard drive. It had been selected to notify me if a site wished to do that previous to my changing the selection. Sorry I'm not much good at providing a tutorial but I hope that helps anyway...

westhawk

green granite
4th Jul 2013, 19:23
try reading this, it may help, or it may not.

BBC - Future Media Standards & Guidelines - Audio-Video Standard v2.4 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/futuremedia/technical/audiovideo.shtml)

Cornish Jack
4th Jul 2013, 19:57
GG and westhawk, many thanks, both.
GG - nice thought but does anybody actually manage to get through more than 10% of that?:{ Must keep the lawyers terribly happy:hmm:
Westhawk - it looks like you hit the nail spot on!! Just done as you suggest and it appears to have worked - fingers crossed:)
Thanks again

westhawk
5th Jul 2013, 02:03
You're welcome Jack. I encountered this problem months ago and haven't had any more trouble with it. I hope it works as well for you. :ok:

westhawk

green granite
5th Jul 2013, 06:34
Cornish Jack, that link was just for info on the 'emp.bbci.co.uk' address, which if I follow puts me into BBC's main page, as you say it's less than readable.

Cornish Jack
5th Jul 2013, 19:23
Yes, thanks GG - I understood - no complaint intended - the increasing litigation culture has made that series of 'points' less readable than your average EULA!!:mad: