PDA

View Full Version : Email difficulty

Hamilton 22
4th Jul 2013, 16:46
Having recently received Emails containing a link to an internet page, when I try the link my Email screen freezes and the only way out is to switch off the computer. This is fairly old running XP satisfactorily if a tad slow. Any clues please?

Saab Dastard
4th Jul 2013, 21:31
Sounds like a very dodgy link to me. I suggest that you

a) not click it again
b) ensure that your AV software is up-to-date
c) download and run an off-line malware scanner to check your system for viruses, trojans etc. and
d) don't log on with an administrator account unless absolutely necessary (that goes for every day use, btw).

SD

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jul 2013, 23:10
if someone left an anonymous bottle at your front door with a paper label with the words "drink me" on it, would you drink it?

same situation applies here. If you don't know what the e-mail is, delete it

Keef
4th Jul 2013, 23:19
if someone left an anonymous bottle at your front door with a paper label with the words "drink me" on it, would you drink it?

They quite often do, but the label on the bottle is more reassuring than any URL in an e-mail would be ;)

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jul 2013, 23:47
so the Suffolk brandy smugglers live on!
Watch out for the Excise Men Keef!. Getting caught would ruin your standing with the Bishop (unless you give him some as well...)

green granite
5th Jul 2013, 06:53
I love the way you all leap to the conclusion that he's just clicking on anything, he may have been expecting the link to be mailed to him. Or you may be right of course.

Hamilton 22 if you are certain that it's genuine then try copying and pasting into a browser and see it it completes that way. If you are unsure then try googleing the link and see what it comes up with.

Other than that, what the others said.

Hamilton 22
5th Jul 2013, 15:36
Thanks for all the suggestions, the Emails I mention are all from reliable sources and checked by AVG for what thats worth, often referring to Youtube extracts. Entering the addresses via a browser gives a normal response, I'm just trying to avoid the double entry. I always delete Emails from unknown senders.

Milo Minderbinder
5th Jul 2013, 19:07
usual problem for that kind of behaviour is if you use webmail, but the default e-mail program is set to a local client program which hasn't been configured

ExSp33db1rd
5th Jul 2013, 23:56
if someone left an anonymous bottle at your front door ..........

Had a friend with a Labrador which all by itself learned to recognise bottles of white wine left out to chill - and retrieve them !

Clever dog.