PDA

View Full Version : Flying with cremated remains

Beagle-eye
4th Jul 2013, 16:02
My wife has had to go to South Africa for an Aunts funeral. It’s all happened very quickly and it transpires that said Aunt would like her remains (cremated ashes) to be returned to the UK and reunited with her deceased husband.

There is an assumption that my wife will bring them back with her on Sunday as she is returning (British Airways) to Heathrow.

It would be awful if they were confiscated from her so I have been Googling like fury to see if there is likely to be a problem. So far I have been able to ascertain :

• It is not an uncommon thing to do
• Ashes can be transported as hand luggage or checked in
• The bearer will need a copy of the death certificate
• The bearer may need certificate of cremation certificate
- The container must be suitable for x-ray (i.e. not metal or sealed)
• A call to BA would not go amiss

Is there anything else that she needs to do ? Does she need to declare the ashes at UK customs ? Any other forms that she will need ?

Thanks in anticipation

PAXboy
4th Jul 2013, 17:02
I've been working in this field for some years.

Yes, this is standard practice and all your points are valid. When taking cremated remains from the UK there is a special certificate issued by the funeral directors. There may be something similar in ZA, although the Cremation Cert may well be what they use.

Iin the UK, the container from the crem is made of plastic with a screw top lid. Inside, the ashes are in a plastic bag, tied at the top so that they won't just spill out. I expect the same is the case in ZA - particularly if the funeral company KNOWS that they ashes are going out of the country and informs the crem.

For arrival: I'd ask the CSM's advice as they must have this every week. However, it might be better safe than sorry - especially if Mrs Beagle-eye is of a nervous disposition!

If you want any more info on the topic, or something specific, just PM me.

kaikohe76
5th Jul 2013, 04:01
Beagle

Three years ago, my Wife & I travelled from NZ to the UK (SVQ), with a small amount of my Wife's Mother's ashes in an urn, as hand baggage. We followed the list exactly as you have set out & no problem at all. I did check directly with the Airline & also UK Customs in advance & the answer was, do everything on your list & that will be fine. At no time was I actually asked to produce the various documents, but obviously had them well to hand, just in case.
Rather suprisingly, I found UK Customs quite understanding & sympathetic when I contacted them.

Beagle-eye
5th Jul 2013, 07:51
PAXboy and kaikohe76 - I have passed the information onto Mrs B.

The funeral is today and your prompt and considered replies mean that she now has one less thing to worry about.

Many thanks :ok:

Dan Winterland
6th Jul 2013, 05:18
It's very common where I fly in China as most Hong Kongers want to be interred in the family plot in the village in the mainland from whence they came. There is paperwork required, but more often than not - none is done and out of respect none is asked for.

However, one flight a few years ago, the head count revealed one less pax on board than had been checked in. An exhaustive recount and investigation revelaed a little old lady holding an urn to her chest. She had booked and paid for a ticked for her husband who was in the urn and the check in staff had issued the ashes with a boarding card and checked him in.

It's now official company policy that souls of the departed fly free!

PAXboy
6th Jul 2013, 09:55
Beagle-eye Glad to help.
...she now has one less thing to worry about.As long as the funeal director had informed the crematorium that the cremated remains were to be collected the same day. Whilst the cremation will have taken place on the day, sometimes the final preparations and placing them in the urn, only happen the next working day.

SLF-Flyer
6th Jul 2013, 22:37
A relative of mine brought some her father’s ashes into the UK this year. At the check in prior to her flight she declared that she was carrying her father’s ashes in her cabin luggage and was given an upgrade. I do not think the check in staff checked that she was telling the truth, one does have to be discreet. In this case she was.

stuart101
20th Jul 2013, 19:40
IATA rules say that cremated remains must be in a metal or metal lined container that is sealed

Most Airlines ignore this but you must have the following documents as a minimum

Death Certificate
Cremation certificate
Funeral Directors declaration of contents

Some countries require advance permission and/or consular paperwork/sealing of the casket.

Although some of this seems very over the top, some countries do not in law see any difference between mortal remains and cremated remains.

PAXboy
21st Jul 2013, 02:14
Interesting. I have always been told that the cremains must in a polytainer to facilitiate x-ray.

ExXB
21st Jul 2013, 07:56
Stuart - believe that rule applies when cremated remains are being shipped, not carried on by passenger. Other than listing prohibited items IATA doesn't regulate carry-on.

Shipping a casket is highly regulated. Shipping ashes must less so.