PDA

View Full Version : XP windows

Cornish Jack
1st May 2002, 13:22
Have just been introduced to the (dubious) delights of Windoze XP. On all previous versions, windows could be moved by means of clicking on the top bar and dragging and the size could be adjusted by dragging the sides, top/bottom or corners. On the version of XP (XP Home) which I have, none of the above are effective. The adjustment arrows appear at the sides and top/bottom but dragging has no effect.
Question - is this another of Mr Gates's attempts to prevent his customers interfering with his finely honed software ...... or have I got a duff programme? Anyone out there up to speed on the intricacies of XP who could venture an opinion, please? :confused:

Lord Lucan
1st May 2002, 22:02
well...

I'm also a new user of "the most stable windoze yet" - but it still crashes once or twice a day just like every other version I've ever used (2, 3, 3.1, workgroups, 95, & 98)

And I too have the oversized and unmoveable windows randomly appear. I either close and re-open the window.

or use the old "windose without a mouse" trick:

ALT <Tab> reSize
and then use the arrow keys.

Works for me - but it would be nice if you didn't have to......[I]

Cornish Jack
1st May 2002, 23:07
Many thanks, Lord L. The only reason I'm using the latest Redmond folly is because it came pre-installed on my new toy. There was no way I would have up-graded otherwise. Starting to look as if the first job is going to be a re-format, re-partition and install 98SE - at least that way I've been through most of the problems already! :mad: Bring back OS2 Warp :D

PS - Have just discovered the problem... the computer (Dell laptop) has both a touchpad and a pointer 'nipple' (for want of a better word) ;) If I use the 'nipple', everything works as normal; it's only the touchpad which won't allow window re-sizing. Sooooo.... anyone know how to disable either of these devices - preferably the 'nipple'. Needless to say, the oxymoronically named Microsoft Help has nothing useful on the subject. :mad:

Lord Lucan
2nd May 2002, 08:57
I have XP pre installed on a new computer too.

All sorts of old software no-longer works. I will persist with XP but am currently trying to set up a dual (at least) boot, with XP and Win 98 as the alternatives

But my old edition of 98 (of course) has none of the drivers for my new computer - and the XP ones do not work in 98 so it is an ungoing hassle trying to get them too!

Later I would also like to install and learn Linux too. I would just LOVE to be free of micro**** software!

Cornish Jack
2nd May 2002, 18:42
Lord L
You and me both - the migration to Linux, that is. I have both SUSE and Red Hat and, from what I read, the SUSE distro seems to be favourite.
After trying to get an answer to my mouse problem from Dell's customer support - (not very supportive - kept me hanging on listening to the 'Flower Song' then just cut me off with no warning), finally found the answer.... in the mouse setup dialogue box, there is a tab which has tick boxes for Click, Click and Drag and something else. The Click box had been ticked but not the Click and Drag. Once that was done, all was as it should be...
Hooray!! :cool:

FL310
2nd May 2002, 19:28
and the SuSe 8.0 is just fabulous...installs in about 25 minutes without any problem, recognizes almost everything just perfectly and I highly recommend it...the upgrade is just £39 and gives 8.0 pro....extremely satisfied FL310 here....
http://www.kaletas-board.org/wbb/images/avatars/avatar-167.gif http://www.kaletas-board.org/wbb/images/avatars/avatar-188.gif

FLEX42
2nd May 2002, 23:23
Hello Cornish Jack, long time no hear, how's life in Kernow ?

Recently got a laptop with XP installed, and (touch wood) no problems. Found a very useful site with lots of tips, so even though you're sorted now it may be worth a look.

http://xp-erience.org/

Cornish Jack
3rd May 2002, 18:43
Thank you FL310 - just stringing together some redundant bits from previous machines to make a 'bitsa' for try-outs. Will give the SUSE a go.
Flex 42 - still in exile, unfortunately. My erstwhile next desk neighbour at VFC went down recently and returned with 10 pasties and a bad back! :D Some connection there possibly ;) Can't place your handle, I'm afraid, but best regards anyway :)