PDA

View Full Version : USB unresponsive - help!

aspac
1st Jul 2013, 01:17
Good morning!
I have no computer problems with either the desktop or laptop, both used for work. But Mrs Aspac suggested, on a recent trip, that - since I don't take the laptop with me (one more item to lose or have stolen) - I spend too much time in Internet cafes to check e-mails. Far better, she advised, to invest in a tablet computer and use wi-fi from hotel rooms. I bought an Asus Tranformer because the optional detachable keyboard doubles as a protective cover. The device now looks rather like a "netbook" computer. What's more, being a dinosaur, I use a mouse. (An adaptor turns one USB port into three ) Everything I need works beautifully - and in the same way with or without the adaptor EXCEPT:

In a remote location with no wi-fi, I decided to watch a movie on a thumb drive (or memory stick; anyway, it's the little gadget you plug into a USB port). But the Asus Transformer wouldn't recognise it. My daughter told me this was because I had to download a media player called VLC (its icon is a witches' hat). I followed her advice, did so - and now I watch movies whenever I want since VLC detects any film-type files. Problem solved - in part.

In one context my difficulties persist. There's still no indication the Asus Transformer recognises non-movie thumb drives in the USB port. I have about a half-dozen of these - a mix of Word documents and JPG pictures (sometimes on the same stick). My daughter suggested I insert the drives into the USB before switching on/booting up and then go to Polaris (the Asus inbuilt word-processing system). I did so but Polaris didn't prompt me to click on anything. One of the thumb drives has a light which comes on after it is inserted into the USB port - so it must somehow be being recognised.

None of this is urgent - since other computers have read the thumb drives easily - but it's an irritant. It seems to me that there's something terribly simple that I'm not doing that I should be doing.

Hope someone has a useful tip!

green granite
1st Jul 2013, 06:46
I had this problem which I solved by putting the memory stick into the PC and doing a FAT32 format of it, it was then recognised by the tablet with no problems.

aspac
1st Jul 2013, 22:05
Many thanks, Green Granite - hope that works; I'll try it when Mrs Aspac returns from travelling with the tablet at the weekend . . . that's if someone tells me how to do a FAT32 format!
Aspac

Nervous SLF
2nd Jul 2013, 01:05
I have just had a look on giggle and there is lots of info about a FAT 32 format. Not sure I really understand it though :O

green granite
2nd Jul 2013, 06:58
that's if someone tells me how to do a FAT32 format!

Open windows explorer, right click on the memory stick's drive letter and select 'format' under file system, select fat32 from the drop down menu click ok.

Don Coyote
2nd Jul 2013, 07:27
Remember to copy the data first as formatting to FAT 32 will erase all the date.

aspac
3rd Jul 2013, 20:08
Many thanks to all. I'll try that over the weekend once the tablet computer is returned and report back.
Aspac