PDA

View Full Version : VPT Approaches Marseille

Sean Dell
30th Jun 2013, 21:09
Sorry for my lack of French.

I wonder if anyone can explain what the reasons are for flying these VPT approaches into MRS? What are they trying to achieve and what is wrong with the ILS? I have spoken to a lot of colleagues and there seems to be a lot of unnecessary confusion.

Thanks for any information.

SD

perceval
2nd Jul 2013, 05:24
As far as I can see at least for the VPT B 31 L , it's a visual 'side step' maneuver in order to start an approach using the standard ILS/LOC for 31R and continue visually at a defined WP/altitude for a landing on 31L . The reason for an increased activity on 31L might have to do with ground traffic management . For the VPT A and C , it might be to expedite arrivals in VMC ??

Sean Dell
2nd Jul 2013, 08:58
Thanks for the info Perceval

It just seems a bit unnecessary really. Flying a 4 degree approach to 31R and then switching to a nearer threshold (thus steepening the approach further) over rising terrain in potentially turbulent conditions .... Etc
:confused:

It would be great if there was digital ATIS at this field (as well as at another airport further East along the coast!). Then maybe briefings could be conducted (at a time of low workload) in such a way that you have a pretty good idea what is coming up. Rather than the last minute panic brief and increased ATC chat trying to establish what they want.

Here's hoping :hmm:

despegue
3rd Jul 2013, 22:11
When visual, just disconnect and land at the parallel. No endless briefings required.

Enzo-34
16th Jul 2013, 14:21
I may add that there is no ILS for the 31L. You have to perform the ILS for the 31R, then the side-step to the 31L. If you do not want a too steep approach, ask or execute for the side step as soon as possible.