PDA

View Full Version : RAF Wyton today

brokenlink
29th Jun 2013, 20:26
Just to say a big thank you to the BBMF for the Hurricane and Spitfire flypasts over RAF Wyton today. Cadets on the camp for the weekend (350+) very much appreciated you coming over. A number of staff all seemed to get dust in their eyes at the same time!

SRENNAPS
30th Jun 2013, 12:32
Nice to hear that RAF Wyton still gets some flypasts to ensure that dust that used to affect me never settles :ok::ok:

glad rag
30th Jun 2013, 12:55
My first spacer camp.

Happy days.

Wander00
30th Jun 2013, 13:56
Glad Wyton had a good day - Was OC Handbrake House 91-93. Best to all.

brokenlink
30th Jun 2013, 19:42
Got even better this afternoon, fantastic passes by the Lancaster as well. Amazing the capability of 4 Merlins to empty tents of cadets! Many thanks guys.

Basil
30th Jun 2013, 21:30
Aah, Wyton, my last station, my ground tour where I found that being an ATCO was agreeable as were all my ATC colleagues (esp the WRAF corporal assistant in the tower), from where I was married (wife gave me the evils when found chatting to aforementioned WRAF at ATC party ;))

Mandator
1st Jul 2013, 17:02
Farmers Weekly is currently carrying an advert placed by the DIO under the Chrichel Down rules for former owners of the land to come forward prior to sale of the airfield. Similar advert for Kirton in Lindsey.

Wander00
1st Jul 2013, 17:05
ISTR Lord de Ramsey for Wyton

aw ditor
1st Jul 2013, 17:22
3500 Houses under the newish' Huntingdonshire "plan".

romeo bravo
2nd Jul 2013, 12:31
Surprising what I can arrange, hey Brokenlink :p

brokenlink
2nd Jul 2013, 16:55
RB, always helps if you know the correct buttons to push. Banjo on me next time you are in.

WhiteOvies
3rd Jul 2013, 01:14
RAF Wyton - one of the 2 RAF bases that both my Grandfather and I served at, although some 60 yrs apart (him flying Lancs, me not flying Lancs). Happy memories of Taranto nights, flypasts and drinks in the mess on Friday lunchtimes... :-)

Does anyone have a contact for the Pathfinder museum? I had promised them copies of the relevant bits of my Grandfathers log books after he passed away, which didn't happen whilst I was there but has now.

Wander00
3rd Jul 2013, 08:27
WO - When I was OCAW and involved with Pathfinder reunions and commemoration sin 92, I had an OC PMS whose Father had been a Pathfinder at Wyton and around - he found it very interesting, and emotional

aw ditor
3rd Jul 2013, 14:58
Wyton is probably the last of the Pathfinder bases which retains a flying element'? And that for not much longer; the remainder are under the plough, or houses, or Wind Farms e.g. Graveley and Warboys.

AdrianShaftsworthy
3rd Jul 2013, 17:16
Flew the mighty 'Berra out of Wyton untill 360 disbanded in '94. Seem to recall one of the plans for the future of the base was to convert it into the RAF's prem golf course. Plan abandoned when they realised there is an enormous amount of buried munitions all over the shop. Should make digging the foundations for Mr Wimpy/Barrat interesting! :)

Vortex_Generator
3rd Jul 2013, 17:26
WO, check your PMs

Old Ned
3rd Jul 2013, 17:55
Was at Wyton 62-64 and 66-73 on 58 Sqn & 51 Sqn respectively. Given the many years of Canberra ops, I thought there was a big problem re lead in the ground from AVTUR spillage. I seem to remember that it scuppered the sale of the airfield some years ago.

Pip pip

ON

WhiteOvies
4th Jul 2013, 03:34
Vortex Generator, Sook,

Many thanks for the PMs, I'll be in touch.

brokenlink
4th Jul 2013, 21:58
AS, When they demolished the old Armoury Nissen Huts a few years ago there were apparently a number of .303 rounds behind the workbenches. I do recall walking past the churned up ground around where the building had been and finding an intact beer bottle from Harrisions Brewerey in Huntingdon complete with stopper. Alas it was empty but it is now in the care of the Wyton Heritage Centre which is now housed in what was the Tech Library.

TURIN
4th Jul 2013, 22:12
Sad to hear its going. I was there for the 40th anniversary celebrations of the Canberra in 89. I was guest of a mate who was an engineer on the line. Still got the etched champagne flute somewhere. I daresay some of you fellows were there that day too.

For what its worth, thanks very much for a great day. :ok:

BEagle
5th Jul 2013, 06:35
My logbooks include the following:

31 Mar 1995 VC10K3 ZA147 MCT PDs to Waddington, Alconbury & Wyton.

I think that this was the last 'proper' RAF fixed wing movment at Wyton until the puddlejumpers arrived?