PDA

View Full Version : AAl says goodbye to the 727

Shore Guy
1st May 2002, 07:56
MIAMI - American Airlines will operate its final Boeing 727 passenger flight today, marking the retirement of an airline industry
workhorse by its largest operator. American operated the biggest 727 fleet, at one time flying 182 of the tri-jets.

American employees, customers and reporters will gather this evening at Miami International Airport terminal B to watch the final
four 727 flights from Miami, all departing Miami between 7:10 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. EDT. The last 727 departure from Miami will be AA
flight 926 to Raleigh/Durham, which will receive a traditional water cannon retirement salute on taxi-out. Passengers on flight 926
will receive certificates commemorating their historic final 727 flight on American.

The 727 was significant to the development of today's air transportation system. The earliest model 727s entered service in 1964,
helping bring the first pure jet service to many smaller communities. A unique high-lift wing design, its rakish "T-Tail," and three
powerful aft-mounted turbofan engines allowed the 727 to economically serve airports too small for the larger first-generation
jetliners, like the four-engine Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8. There were 1,832 Boeing 727s produced -- a production run surpassed
only by the 2,800 Boeing 737s built thus far.

"The popular Boeing 727 is a landmark aircraft design, often called 'The DC-3 of the Jet Age' because of its versatility and
performance," said Gerard Arpey, American's president and chief operating officer. "The 727 served American's customers dependably
and comfortably throughout our system for many years. We salute the retiring 727 for its contribution to American's success."

American is replacing its 727s with a newer Boeing -- the 737-800 twin-jet. This "New Generation" 737-800 flies approximately the
same number of passengers farther and higher, yet consumes about 40 percent less fuel per passenger than the 727 tri-jet it
replaces. The 727 is the last aircraft in American's fleet to require a three-person flight crew. Automation on newer airliners
replaced the necessity for the flight engineer position.

American Airlines
727 Facts

At its peak, AA operated 182 Boeing 727s -- the largest fleet of 727s in the world.
AA introduced its first early model 727 in 1964 (long since retired) and was among the first 727 operators.
AA operated two models of the 727: the original shorter 727-100, configured for 118 passengers in two classes when it retired in
1994; and the "stretch" 727-200, currently configured for 138 passengers in two classes.
AA's 727-200 is being replaced by new, twin-engine Boeing 737-800, that can fly approximately the same number of passengers farther,
more quietly and burn much less fuel. For example, the 737-800 burns about 40 percent less fuel per hour than the 727.
727 is AA's last three-engine airplane, its last three-person cockpit airplane, and the only aircraft AA operated that was fitted
with "hush-kits" to meet noise standards. All AA jets today have two engines. None requires a flight engineer on the crew. And all
meet stricter noise standards without hush-kits.
727 was revolutionary, "the DC-3 of the Jet Age." It was the industry workhorse for years, flying AA and the industry to
deregulation.
727 brought economical jet service to smaller communities for the first time, thanks to its ability to use shorter runways than
first-generation jetliners, like the larger 707 and DC8.
727 allowed American to become an all-turbine airline in 1966 (pure jets & turboprops), and all pure jet in 1969.
The 727 was versatile. AA's shortest scheduled 727 flight was Boston-Providence, at 49 miles; longest was Chicago-Los Angeles, at
1,744 miles.
The last original -100 model of the 727 retired from AA in 1994. All remaining 727s are the -200 "stretch" models.
AA has eight 727s remaining in service, all retiring from passenger service April 30.
TWA retired its last 727 in 2000, operating a maximum fleet of 100 727s.

The Greaser
1st May 2002, 08:04
Will be much missed by all of those who love aircraft noise.

Flight Detent
1st May 2002, 08:58
Boeing may have replaced the FE with a computer system, but they certainly didn't replace the necessity for one, as has been proven on numerous occasions.
It's a sad day in the aviation world with the last three man aircraft being retired there, the biggest user of the type.

More the pity now, when most pilots, most, simply because they have never flown with a real, professional Flight Engineer, say they are OK with this situation, never having any idea what it is all about anyway, they are too new in this business and never will now know the difference!!

Just talk with a reasonably new B747-400 pilot, he thinks the whole thing is just so easy, what is all the fuss about, admirably demonstrating he has never really had any real inflight problems, yet!
Cheers

OldAg84
1st May 2002, 18:24
As I watched the AA 727's come and go from RDU these last weeks- I wondered when they were going to pack them in- sadly- now I know.

AA SLF
1st May 2002, 18:56
I'm going to miss this old bird. Flew lots of the 727 American Airlines fleet throughtout the '80s. Remember that the easy way to tell the difference between the -100 and the -200 was the shape of the air intake on the "tail" engine.

I felt that the 727 was the "strongest" modern airplane built. I called it the "tank of the air". When I had to fly in very bad weather here in the s'west USA - I wanted to be on a 727. Remember a flight from El Paso (ELP) to DFW with hugh thunderstorms all the way. Pilot announces that we are going to "try" the route and we will be flying "between" the "anvil" clouds and not to worry about the lighting. One of the roughest flights I have ever been on (approx two hours in length). But the lightening show was really neat to look at as the plane was tossed all over the sky. The Pilot that night really earned his money and was very skilled IMHO. He flew in the "canyons" between the cloud formations and we could see them due to the lightening making it like semi-daylight.

Glad I wasn't in an MD-80 that night. I don't like the way the wings on the -80 "flex" so much in turbulence!! -dAAvid

9gmax
1st May 2002, 20:54
found this on B727 retirement :

http://www.aero-news.net/

End of an Era: American's Last 727 Flights
American Airlines ran its final Boeing 727 passenger flight yesterday, marking the retirement of an airline industry workhorse by its largest operator. American operated the biggest 727 fleet, at one time flying 182 of the tri-jets.
American employees, customers and reporters gathered Tuesday evening at Miami International Airport terminal B to watch the final four 727 flights from Miami, which were all scheduled to depart Miami between 7:10 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. EDT. The last 727 departure from Miami was AA flight 926 to Raleigh/Durham, which received a traditional water cannon retirement salute on taxi-out. Passengers on flight 926 received certificates commemorating their historic final 727 flight on American.
The 727 was significant to the development of today's air transportation system. The earliest model 727s entered service in 1964, helping bring the first pure jet service to many smaller communities. A unique high-lift wing design, its rakish "T-Tail," and three powerful aft-mounted turbofan engines allowed the 727 to economically serve airports too small for the larger first- generation jetliners, like the four-engine Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8. There were 1,832 Boeing 727s produced -- a production run surpassed only by the nearly 4000 Boeing 737s built thus far.
"The popular Boeing 727 is a landmark aircraft design, often called 'The DC-3 of the Jet Age' because of its versatility and performance," said Gerard Arpey, American's president and chief operating officer. "The 727 served American's customers dependably and comfortably throughout our system for many years. We salute the retiring 727 for its contribution to American's success."
American is replacing its 727s with a newer Boeing -- the 737-800 twin- jet. This "New Generation" 737-800 flies approximately the same number of passengers farther and higher, yet consumes about 60 percent less fuel per passenger than the 727 tri-jet it replaces. The 727 is the last aircraft in American's fleet to require a three-person flight crew. Automation on newer airliners replaced the necessity for the flight engineer position.

American Airlines 727 Facts

At its peak, AA operated 182 Boeing 727s -- the largest fleet of 727s in the world.
AA introduced its first early model 727 in 1964 (long since retired) and was among the first 727 operators.
AA operated two models of the 727: the original shorter 727-100, configured for 118 passengers in two classes when it retired in 1994; and the "stretch" 727-200, currently configured for 138 passengers in two classes.
AA's 727-200 is being replaced by new, twin-engine Boeing 737-800, that can fly approximately the same number of passengers farther, more quietly and burn much less fuel. For example, the 737-800 burns about 60 percent fewer gallons of fuel per passenger per hour than the 727.
727 is AA's last three-engine airplane, its last three-person cockpit airplane, and the only aircraft AA operated that was fitted with "hush- kits" to meet noise standards. All AA jets today have two engines. None requires a flight engineer on the crew. And all meet stricter noise standards without hush-kits.
727 was revolutionary, "the DC-3 of the Jet Age." It was the industry workhorse for years, flying AA and the industry to deregulation.
727 brought economical jet service to smaller communities for the first time, thanks to its ability to use shorter runways than first-generation jetliners, like the larger 707 and DC8.
727 allowed American to become an all-turbine airline in 1966 (pure jets & turboprops), and all pure jet in 1969.
The 727 was versatile. AA's shortest scheduled 727 flight was Boston-Providence, at 49 miles; longest was Chicago-Los Angeles, at 1,744 miles.
The last original --100 model of the 727 retired from AA in 1994. All remaining 727s are the -- 200 "stretch" models.
AA has eight 727s remaining in service, all retiring from passenger service April 30.
TWA retired its last 727 in 2000, operating a maximum fleet of 100 727s.
unquote

will miss this beauty..........worked on it for nearly 10 years....know it better then any other airplane....and it's not ready for retirement.......it can go on for another 10 years easily.....:( :( :(

9gmax
1st May 2002, 20:59
ooooooooooooppppsss

sorry SHORE GUY............ missed out your text as I've just noticed that my text is the same as yours..........
anyway feels good to know that I'm not the only one missing this lovely bird.........
see ya..

con-pilot
1st May 2002, 21:29
I will freely admit that I truly do miss flying the good old 72. Got about 7,000hrs in them.

I think that the one statement than comes to mind about the 72 is, dependable. You just keep putting fuel into them and they just kept going. And God, you talk about a large airplane that could stop in a hurry. I like the 100 better than the 200, the 100 with –9 engines was more fun to fly. I got to fly a 200 with the big Pratts and boy could that thing climb with a light load.

Thank God that there are enough freight haulers and charter companies to keep the 72 flying for another 10 or 20 years.

:(

Flight Detent
2nd May 2002, 14:21
The good 'ol 727s,
Last one I flew was a -200 with the latest -17R (Reserve) engines, one of the last aircraft off the production line, also had the PDC and auto spoilers, not that I ever got used to auto spoilers on landing, liked it much better when I had to pull the handle myself, nevertheless, a very great ol bird, and very sorry to see them go, for a number of reasons.

I found the easiest way to tell the -200 from the -100 was the -200 had passenger exit doors just forward of the side engines, the -100 didn't!
Cheers

Fly-by-night
2nd May 2002, 18:53
A truely wonderful airliner. I'm sad I never had the chance to fly the old lady. I'm sure we'll see her around the skies for long time to come in other roles.

PaperTiger
2nd May 2002, 19:24
Good bit of PR by American, but Delta, Northwest and PanAm III (or is that IV ?) will be flying their 72s for a while yet.