PDA

View Full Version : Take PPL with broken ankle

calgary
1st May 2002, 07:51
Would it be possible? I broke my ankle around 2 months ago and I'm gonna have my cast on for the next month. I will probably be starting my ppl next month...

how will this affect my medical examination.

Do you think the instructors would let me do my hours when I get the cast off. It's my right ankle, I dont know if that matters...

redsnail
1st May 2002, 20:05
You won't be able to fly with a broken leg/ankle.
At this point in time, your medical is "suspended" subject to a clearance examination from an aviation Dr. (ie the Doc that did your medical). Untill you can prove to the Dr that you have full and free movement and you have the strength in the ankle to operate the pedals you are grounded.

777AV8R
2nd May 2002, 05:47
Assuming you are from the 'Stampede City'..like your name suggests..under Canadian regs, you must be 'fit' for the certificate required at examination.

Unfortunately, an injury like that will not allow you to fly until it is healed and the aeromedical doctor clears you. It isn't up to the flight instructor. That said, however; there shouldn't be any reason that you can't take groundschool.

Once you've healed and the doctor tells you to head for the skies, you're stuck on the ground..:( . Don't despair..many of us have had all kinds of injuries and we are back in the air.

Hope it helps..all the best!