PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic TV

Nervous SLF
29th Jun 2013, 12:45
We have a 2008 Panasonic TH58PZ850AZ plasma TV and have a slight problem with the picture width. It is set up with the aspect ratio 16 - 9
but the picture appears too big for the screen. Part of the picture on the sides is cut off so we miss the beginnings and ending of words etc.
In a programme we watch it sometimes has the word "Dramatization" in the top left of the screen but we only see "matization" as
the "Dra" part has been obscured. We also have a brand new LED set and that is also set to 16 - 9 and we can see everything.
Please has anyone some advice as to whether I can adjust anything ? I have tried all of the aspect ratios like 4 - 3, JUST and zoom
but none of those settings is better and in fact they are worse.

mixture
29th Jun 2013, 12:47
First question is have you ruled out the problem as not originating from an external device (e.g. set-top box) rather than the TV itself ?

If not, go play with the settings on your external boxes first.

Ancient Observer
29th Jun 2013, 12:50
I agree with Mixture. Some times it is the source.

One of our Samsung tv's does what your Pana does, about 1 in 10 times.
I have no idea why it does it, as the cat doesn't watch the tv.
The only solutions that work when it is misbehaving are
1. Turn TV on and off. (Helpdesk 101)
2. Keep cycling through the options,and eventually it finds the "proper" 16.9.

Nervous SLF
29th Jun 2013, 20:10
Hi gents, thank you for your replies. I have changed the aspect several times but had not thought about the SKY box. We have a separate
SKY box for the led tv so when SWMBO is at work later today I will plug the led tv into it and see what happens.
Forgot to say but I checked the aspect setting in the dvd recorder as well and that says it is on 16 - 9.

spannersatcx
29th Jun 2013, 20:14
I normally find that this happens when you select a mode, i.e. cinema, rather than widescreen even though the aspect is set at 16:9.

M.Mouse
29th Jun 2013, 21:59
If you have a Sky box driving the plasma TV it is almost certain a setting within the box. I forget the menu system but it is quite easy to find and I bet the aspect ratio is set incorrectly.

Bushfiva
30th Jun 2013, 01:23
Not knowing either device specifically, you may want to adjust your overscan settings in one, the other, or both devices if the settings are user-accessible. Lots of apparently digital stuff still have legacy overscan settings, partly to limit user complaints about things like flashing pixels along the top of the screen when legacy analog stuff is transmitted with its now-unused metadata encoded in the top scan lines. For example, your TV is old enough to have overscan set to 5% as a default. Though I repeat, I have no experience with either of your particular devices.

Nervous SLF
30th Jun 2013, 04:08
Sorted !!! Thanks to you guys :ok: I never thought the SKY decoder would have an adjustment so until it was suggested on here
I hadn't looked for one. SWMBO will be very pleased as she watches that TV much more than I do.

C4
8th Jul 2013, 05:00
What was the adjustment you changed in the box? I have the same issue...