PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Aerodynamics and Systems

Username here
29th Jun 2013, 12:42
Hey all,

Has anyone done AASA recently? Any tips, tricks, or Gotchas?

I'm using AFT's notes backed up by Aviation Theory Centre's PAARM (their ATPL/CPL theory notes adapted for the ADF).

I've heard rumours that the AFT practice exams don't reflect the actual exam - any truth to that rumour?

It's my last exam so I'm looking forward to clicking submit on this bad boy - hopefully after a stress-free sitting :8 ...

Thanks in advance guys!

seneca208
29th Jun 2013, 13:00
I didn't think the AFT prac exams were terrible, but they were phrased much simpler than the CASA exam I thought. More so than any other exam, really Read the question a couple of times before answering. I also purchased the Rob Avery practice exams just for this exam- I found them helpful and there were some interesting questions that the AFT material didnt cover. Worth an extra $50 in my view.

Username here
30th Jun 2013, 04:10
I bought Avery's practice exams and have been pretty disappointed to be honest... In the first exam I have found three errors....(I could be wrong but both of my references contradict the exams answers - if I'm wrong and anyone can steer me right I'd appreciate it!)

1 - One question allows you to choose "a" "b" or "c". When marked it gives the correct answer as "d"

2 - The correct answer to a RAM reovery question was "provides partial recovery as speed increases" rather than a total recovery as indicated in the AFT notes.

3 - The question asks what the advantage of high voltage AC is and gives the advantage as high current. I was of the understanding that these two are inversely proportional.

EDIT:

Plus these ones in the next exam:

4 - Anti skid protection doesn't provide the following protection. Answer - locked wheel protection

5 - selection of bleed air in a jet engine will see a - decrease in RPM... Everytme I check my anti-ice bleed system on the turbine I fly I get a rise in EGT....

These are pretty basic errors- very frustrating when I'm getting charged $55 for the experience....:ugh::ugh::ugh:

seneca208
30th Jun 2013, 04:50
Yeah, I also picked up a few errors which was a bit confusing and conflicted with the information I had in AFT. They are definitely nowhere near the standard of the AFT exams, however it exposes you to more questions that you are likely to see in the exam.

Username here
2nd Jul 2013, 04:22
Quick question:

What's the logic behind deploying spoilers during a decent into known icing? Is it to offset the thrust created by an increased EPR setting used to supply the extra bleed air required for the de/anti-ice?

Cheers

Capt Fathom
2nd Jul 2013, 04:31
What's the logic behind deploying spoilers during a decent into known icing?

Descending through the icing levels faster ?

seneca208
2nd Jul 2013, 04:40
Quick question:

What's the logic behind deploying spoilers during a decent into known icing? Is it to offset the thrust created by an increased EPR setting used to supply the extra bleed air required for the de/anti-ice?

Cheers

I think that's what the AFT material gets at.

Jerr
2nd Jul 2013, 04:55
Username here...

I think that all the practice questions are being deleted with Gavin Secombe now being in charge of ATPL exams...if you know your stuff then you will pass

I got several questions on

Definitions eg Ram ratio, EPR

then

In AP mode...APP – mode selected, GS and LOC captured, no longer want APP mode – the 2 possible answers were to turn off the AP, press TOGA, press APP mode again or turn off FDs
What creates the flight director bars on the EADI – SG, Flight director computer –

Flexible seals on the leading edges of the primary controls – does want – inc feedback to the pilot, reduces control runaway.

AND...not covered in my notes

what is the best speed for PNR - I thought that this more a Nav based question...then got What is the max range in a turboprop - these answers were all centred around VIMD

Good luck

Am doing NAV next week

JERR

Username here
2nd Jul 2013, 06:52
Thanks mate, that's a great heads up!

When you say the practice questions are getting deleted - do you mean the questions in the exam that mirror the practice questions in the AFT notes? I hope he starts culling the poorly written questions as well - he'll be there a while though!

To have a "shot at the title"

1. To disengage APP mode - after LOC/GS: TOGA or AP Disengage.

2. My understanding is the FD sends the data to the SG which then generates the FD bars on the EADI. So my answer would be the SG.

3. Flexible seals - assist aerodynamic balance.

4. PNR would be range (VIMD x 1.32)

5. Turboprop range would be again VIMD x 1.32...

How'd I go?

Good luck with Nav mate - I found it pretty reasonable...

Jerr
2nd Jul 2013, 10:13
Hello Username here

When I did CPL a lot of the questions in the exams I had seen before. Maybe ATPL is different.

From my experience

ATPL Met exam and practice exams were pretty similar to what was in AFT

ATPL Human Factors - quite different - 70% of my exam questions related to TEM - but some of the questions were similar to practice ones in AFT but the way the question was worded was changed

Systems - very different

will let you know about NAV next week

JERR