PDA

View Full Version : Flight safety phrase

Evey_Hammond
28th Jun 2013, 12:21
Could someone in the know please tell me what the following statement means please? I've been trying to work it out and am having fun with abbreviations that could mean 2 different things :confused:

"1.5 dots low on the GS at 750 RA with -1850 fpm"

I believe it relates to a deviation from course whilst landing but would appreciate some clarification please

BOAC
28th Jun 2013, 12:30
GS - Glide Slope
RA - Radio Altitude
fpm - feet per minute

Evey_Hammond
28th Jun 2013, 12:32
thanks BOAC, that's what I'd deduced :)

Armchairflyer
28th Jun 2013, 13:51
The attitude indicators (artificial horizons) of (most?) commercial transport aircraft include a representation of the aircraft's position relative to the glideslope, as shown between the AI and the altimeter on this picture: http://www.b737.org.uk/images/pfd.jpg . The aircraft on that picture would be about "one dot low" (but still at altitude so no issue here and AFAIK actually better than being high at that stage and then having to nosedive to intercept the glideslope (and slow down for the approach at the same time). However, being even more below the glideslope at merely 750ft above the ground and with a quite rapid descent does not sound quite like a normal and safe ILS approach (as always, glad to stand corrected and/or complemented by the people who fly these things in real life).

Dash8driver1312
28th Jun 2013, 16:06
Less than half a second to hit the ground, eep...

Good rule of thumb for a 3 degree glide path is to take your ground speed and multiply by 5, eg 120kts and you should be sweet with around 600fpm. With a rate of descent like that, my outfit would be initiating a go-around, in either case you'd be invited for tea and biscuits with a senior pilot afterwards.

Evey_Hammond
28th Jun 2013, 17:11
thankyou for the replies :)

Armchairflyer
28th Jun 2013, 18:31
My guess is that it should read "less than half a minute".