PDA

View Full Version : British Airways to relax rules on electronic devices

99jolegg
26th Jun 2013, 16:53
BBC News - British Airways to relax rules on electronic devices (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23063479)

With the CAA saying they see "no safety implications", the FAA "debating to what degree" they'll re-allow mobile phone usage whilst the aircraft is moving and other airlines around the world (Singapore Airlines for one) already allowing it, perhaps this is the first of many airlines to start doing it?

Roadster280
26th Jun 2013, 17:01
US Airlines have allowed use of mobile phones as soon as the a/c exits the runway for at least the last 8 years. They also do that on arrival into the UK.

BARKINGMAD
26th Jun 2013, 17:42
Deep joy, another provocation to Air Rage, some smooth suit yakking ad nauseam all the way across the ocean whilst his/her kids play games on their I-things with beeping keypad tones.

Bring back Cunard..................................?

BOAC
26th Jun 2013, 18:32
At least Cpt Hindley might find it easier - should he remain in employ................

FlightPathOBN
26th Jun 2013, 19:52
Can we start with electronic devices without sound?

I really, really dont want to hear a phone conversation...

(does this mean we can also bring on cell phone jammers?)

Pinkman
26th Jun 2013, 21:01
No, you can't use them. It is an offence under the UK Telecommunications Act I believe which is why UK shops that sell them will happily supply to customers overseas but there is or was an agreement that they would not sell to UK based customers. They are great. Not that I know, of course. :E

Sunnyjohn
26th Jun 2013, 21:14
There seems to be a slight misunderstanding here, or you haven't read the news item. The BA rules simply allow you to switch your mobile devices on as soon as the plane touches down, which gives you (oh, joy!) an extra 5 to 10 minutes to play with your precious mobile devices. The rules governing switching off before take off have not been changed.

FlightPathOBN commented in his post on cell phones, so he is from the US; in the UK it is called a mobile phone. So quoting UK regulations to him is somewhat meaningless.

Pinkman
26th Jun 2013, 21:42
Sunnyjohn, last I looked we were talking about BA... the "B" as in British and subject to UK law. It applies to UK aircraft.

Noxegon
26th Jun 2013, 22:50
Bring back Cunard..................................?

Cunard are still around -- definitely the most civilized way to go transatlantic :)

Tray Surfer
26th Jun 2013, 23:04
Ah yes... The QM2, by far the best way to get to the US... All be it that your mobile still works! :D

Either way, it will put an end to my having to enforce the mobiles turned off rule after landing... Although, I am sure the pre-take off one will still be as much of a touch paper as usual... :ugh:

farci
27th Jun 2013, 11:29
This Economist blog (http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2013/06/flight-electronics?fsrc=rss) is worth a read on the subject of passengers' reactions to 'petty rules' including phones

Sunnyjohn
27th Jun 2013, 17:56
Sunnyjohn, last I looked we were talking about BA.
Point taken but I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that FlightPathOBN was talking in general terms and not specifically with regard to the UK. Apologies if this was not the case.

lucavigg
30th Jun 2013, 14:11
I think you'll find that the ability to use a mobile phone in the final stages of approach, landing, rollout and taxi has been available to anyone of Italian origin for many years.

You have to put your phone down for the obligatory round of applause after touchdown.

I myself am Italian but I have never been tempted to participate. It's not unusual to hear phones being switched on and the standard "Welcome to ...." SMS being received accompanied by a loud messaging alert. I have never seen Cabin Crew telling any of them to switch off their devices.

The facts surrounding use of electronic devices on a plane are a bit like religion. There are those who believe passionately and others who couldn't care.

The reason I don't use an electronic device at certain times is because I am told not to by the people who own the plane.

The most valid argument against device usage at critical points in the flight was told to me by a Purser on a BA flight. It's a question of distraction from the possibility of being told to do something that might save your life and others.
This is why the CAA have allowed it only after the A/C has left the runway.

Luca