PDA

View Full Version : Riding the Booster (with enhanced sound)

Lyneham Lad
26th Jun 2013, 14:59
From the upcoming Special Edition Ascent: Commemorating Space Shuttle DVD/BluRay by NASA/Glenn a movie from the point of view of the Solid Rocket Booster with sound mixing and enhancement done by the folks at Skywalker Sound. The sound is all from the camera microphones and not fake or replaced with foley artist sound. The Skywalker sound folks just helped bring it out and make it more audible.

Turn up your speakers, click for full screen, click Go, sit back and be prepared to be amazed... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2aCOyOvOw5c)

Actually, the 'coming down' might even be more interesting than the 'going up'.

Herod
26th Jun 2013, 16:29
I would say "awesome", but I'm speechless.

Onceapilot
26th Jun 2013, 17:04
Great to see! The whole of rocket spaceflight is another dimension. :)

OAP

BOAC
26th Jun 2013, 18:45
Hmm - you certainly don't want to be outside, eh?

seanbean
26th Jun 2013, 22:27
Quite amazing/extraordinary - thank you for posting.

clicker
26th Jun 2013, 23:56
Sounds on the way down were almost a space "whale song" at times.

Dysonsphere
27th Jun 2013, 06:25
Wonderfull what more can I say.

Geezers of Nazareth
27th Jun 2013, 10:07
Always an amazing sight to see, I've watched this video a few times now.

It was quite good fun listening to the launch on the radio, and listening to the reports of exactly where the SRBs splashed-down, where the recovery vessels where, and how long it would take them to get to them.
The first few times that I heard all this I was impressed at how lucky they were to be so close to the splash-down site, but after a few times I realised they they knew pretty much where they'd end up.

For Shuttle flight going up to the ISS not many people realised that about 20 minutes after launch the Shuttle and its large fuel-talk flew over the southern UK. On a clear evening/night it was quite possible to see them pass overhead silently, and with a radio-scanner it was possible to hear them talking back to Houston.

One aspect which did surprise me ... somewhere over the Atlantic the Shuttle and the fuel-tank separated, but they both stayed fairly close together as they were out of the effects of gravity (mostly) and travelling ballistically. The fuel-tank eventually burned-up upon re-entry and any remains will have harmlessly splashed-down somewhere in the Indian Ocean to the west of India - which means that the empty fuel-tank was just a piece of space-junk sailing overhead most of Europe.

smujsmith
27th Jun 2013, 21:13
Thanks for posting this one, quite surreal for us non fliers (I suspect the fast jet flyers know hats going on). It's all about the sound though, and great videography !

Smudge

reds & greens
27th Jun 2013, 21:26
Great to watch and from a Techie's perspective, to see it all go flawlessly.

WASALOADIE
28th Jun 2013, 06:07
Brilliant, watched a couple of times now.