PDA

View Full Version : First Flights

smujsmith
25th Jun 2013, 22:17
I'm currently watching some great, but like me getting on a bit, comedies on You Tube, and came to this episode. I'm sure many will not wish to watch the whole thing, although I would recommend it for your chuckle muscles, its very funny, but the initial "getting airborne sequence is very funny.

The Beverly Hillbillies - Home For Christmas - YouTube (http://youtu.be/xJ07G5gJOWo)

In that vein, I was wondering if anyone would like to share their first flight experience. For me, an amazing 30 minutes in a Chipmunk from Shawbury circa 1967. A few aero's and finally allowed a "clutch". For a village lad who's most exciting experience had been a drive on the farm tractor in a field. Well, heaven. A few weeks later a T21 flight from Tern Hill I was hooked. That was 14 years old as an ATC cadet. I'm 60 now and still remember vividly those first flights. I managed to clock around 500 hours solo gliding, 5000 hours as a GE on Albert, and generally managed to fly in everything I worked on, even the wonderful Lightning. Enjoy the video, have a laugh and please share your first flights. I was just Groundcrew at the end of the day. What drew you Aircrew types in to the mob ?

Smudge

If this is repeating a previous thread please let me know, I will kill this one.

MATELO
25th Jun 2013, 23:11
DC-3 pleasure flight over Newcastle.

Sat next to an old dear, who was 83, and her first flight aswell.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Jun 2013, 23:14
First Flight: Age 3, in an Auster flown by my dad.
Never grew up; ended up as a "nose gunner" in Tornado F3s
The one type we were both rated on was ...Tiger Moth.

ExAscoteer
25th Jun 2013, 23:20
My first flight was from Tangmere in a Slingsby Sedburgh T21 strapped on my dad's knee. Bill Verling was the pilot.

I was about 2.

I got the bug early :)

NutLoose
25th Jun 2013, 23:49
Dan Dare 727 back from Naples in the 70's

Janda
26th Jun 2013, 01:19
My first flight was 4 hours in a Varsity August 1971. I had just started the main course as a U/t AEOp at Topcliffe. The flight was to qualify for student flying pay. I still remember the soup served from flasks.

cynicalint
26th Jun 2013, 01:50
Half hour in a De Havilland Rapide from St Just, Cornwall, in 1968 as my 8th birthday present. Sight-seeing flight around Land's End, accompanied by my dad who had been a Flt Lt Dakota pilot in Burma 1944-46 and explained everything that was going on in superb detail. How I miss being able to ask his sage advice 14 years after he took off on his last flight.....

clicker
26th Jun 2013, 04:47
Chippie out of White Waltham around the same time as Smudge, I didn't log that then.

First logged flight was a Comet C4 out of Lyneham in 1976, just over three hours mainly "local flying". One cadet kept a note on how many approaches made by counting the number of times he saw a sewage works I was told.

CoffmanStarter
26th Jun 2013, 05:46
44 years ago aged 12 in a Piper Tri-Pacer flown by an ex Wimpy man ... cost me 10/- of saved pocket money. We flew out of Lympne Kent ... I was hooked :ok:

Wander00
26th Jun 2013, 07:16
Aged 13, Anson serial ISTR TX219. Worried to death I would not like it as since the age of 5 I had wanted to fly and, strangely, go to Cranditz. Too much "Reach for the Sky" I guess. Really enjoyed the flight though.

howiehowie93
26th Jun 2013, 07:46
Aged 10 - my grandad took me on holiday to Jersey.

Yeadon to Jersey and return in a Viscount.

First RAF Flight was a VC10 jolly when I was at Swinderby - a few hours rocking and rolling over the North Sea from Waddington.

Jumping_Jack
26th Jun 2013, 08:00
Slingsby T.38 'Grasshopper' - As a 14year old CCF cadet. The 'flight' was unplanned and frightened the living bejeezuz out of me. :eek:

CoffmanStarter
26th Jun 2013, 08:02
JJ ... So you didn't have the giant spoiler board attached then :eek:

Jumping_Jack
26th Jun 2013, 08:12
JJ ... So you didn't have the giant spoiler board attached then

The boards were attached but as soon as I released the aircraft the 'g' made them slip round the leading edge.....lift was achieved! Hence unplanned!! YIKES! My abiding memory is of leaving the ground and watching my compatriots (who had been on bungie pulling duties) scattering in panic accross the playing fields! Managed to keep it level on my return to earth!

Onceapilot
26th Jun 2013, 08:19
1965, "Chrisair" deHavilland Dragon Rapide at Tollerton airshow. 10/- flip with a Lady pilot. Got an extra circuit because landing was baulked:ok:.
Started a way of life:).

OAP

SOSL
26th Jun 2013, 08:20
First flight was in a BEA DC3 from Sumburgh down to Dyce, at the age of 5 - it was quite turbulent and I was sick as a parrot all the way.

First solo in a Slingsby Sedbergh at Catterick when I was 16 yrs old. It was a v hot summer day and after I landed I took a swig from a bottle I spotted on the grass next to the caravan. Thing is, it wasn't water, it wasn't even lime squash - yeuch !! Once more I was sick as a parrot!

Rgds SOS

TT2
26th Jun 2013, 09:08
Errr.......Is this pessimistic irony or what? Call me, 'Confused far way'.
My first flight was in a Whirlwind (Helo) at Lossie aged 5. They left the door open and I remember being terrified. Absolutely cringing against the forward bulkhead. My Dad being a Chiefy Engineer didn't quite get it.

Second flight I was seven, in a Chipmunk sitting on my Dad's lap. He foreswore fastening the parachute and just sat on it. That was fun. That was when I got hooked. Strangely, many years later, I did my ab initio on Chipmunks - it was like coming home. Delightful aeroplane.

Mrs TT2 being as she, is of a Lao persuasion always gives me a slap when I look to the sky at an aircraft and say "Sexy". Tssskkkkk.......She doesn't quite get it, alas.

Genstabler
26th Jun 2013, 10:02
BOAC Argonaut in 1950 aged 8, Heathrow to Singapore for first summer hols at boarding school. Took 4 days. Night stops at Rome, Cairo and Karachi. Best hotels, trips to Vatican, pyramids. Those were the days!

1.3VStall
26th Jun 2013, 10:10
De Havilland Dragon Rapide from Wick to the Orkneys aged three!

November4
26th Jun 2013, 10:14
First flight July 1965 aged 5 weeks - Trooping flight Aden to UK

First RAF aircraft 19 Apr 1979 Chipmunk WK562 (http://happymeal.free.fr/FAZURuk.html) ATC AEF at Filton

http://happymeal.free.fr/AZUR.jpeg

First after joining up 1 Mar 1984 Puma XW234 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55053) - AEF at Swinderby

walbut
26th Jun 2013, 10:22
Around 1973, aged 23, from HSA Brough in a DH Dove, G-ARBE. A trip to RAF Leuchars to ground run an 892 Sqn. Phantom as part of an investigation into pressure surges in the engine fuel feed system.

On the return trip we had just lined up on the runway when the QRA aircraft were scrambled. We trundled down to the first intersection, pulled off the runway and sat and watched two 43 Sqn. Phantoms go thundering past. Wonderful.

AR1
26th Jun 2013, 11:40
A Cessna 1xx from Southport beach when I was about 10. You parked up and paid the pilot.. well my Dad did - i was always banging on about wanting to join the RAF!

sangiovese.
26th Jun 2013, 11:44
Chippy at Valley, ATC camp Aug 1984 - would love to know who flew me...had SMEEF on his helmet or something like thatand all sorts of other things ...and onto JP's 5 years later leading to my nice big Airbus now. I owe SMEEF?? a lot!

26th Jun 2013, 11:48
A Handley Page Herald out of Southampton to Jersey when I was about 10...and I was scared whitless for most of the journey I seem to recall! :eek:

goudie
26th Jun 2013, 12:18
As a young erk on 68 Sqdn, in a Meteor NF II whilst on detachment to Sylt in '56. It was the first flight of the day to check the weather, prior to air to air firing commencing. Took off in clag then broke out in to stunning blue sky, which I've always enjoyed doing ever since.
Over a 20 year period I flew in all the aircraft I serviced and a few more besides. Only one I missed out on was the mighty Vulcan.

N.HEALD
26th Jun 2013, 20:52
1971 aged 9 years old with my father in a PA28-140, 42 years on and father now aged 88 and flying with me. Happy days then and now

Danny42C
26th Jun 2013, 22:48
One culture shock after another. Feet don't touch. Chased from pillar to post at ITW. Across the Atlantic (never been further than I.O.M.). Canada. Erk one minute, "Aviation Kay-det" in U.S. Army Air Corps the next. Put back in civvy clothes. Drive wrong side of road, use funny money. Florida, bloody hot ! Carlstrom Field. Never flown before, stuffed in back seat of lovely blue and yellow Stearman, kind of thing Biggles used to fly. No ASI.

2nd September, 1941. First entry in logbook (careful best handwriting): "Stearman (U.S. Air Corps PT-17) Pilot: R.W.Greer. Pupil: J.D. ###### - "Dual Instruction" - ".38 (minutes) - get him ! (every minute counts).

Completely shell-shocked. What was it like, and what did we do, and what were my thoughts ?

Can't remember a single thing (sorry). Why did I do it ? Seemed a good idea at the time, I suppose.

Danny42C

PS: "Beverley Hillbillies" marvellous. Thanks, Smudge......D.

Ginandtonic
27th Jun 2013, 08:15
In my teens last century my first flight was in an Islander on a pleasure trip from Flamingoland. Take off was interesting as we had to avoid a large tree carefully planted on the end of the (grass) runway.:eek: Absolutely loved the sensation and was hooked. My dad thought it was a waste of money...... Too intellectually challenged to become a pilot but as an airman flew in Lightning, Nimrod, Chippie amongst others and latterly Tucano. Can't complain really. :ok:

ancientaviator62
27th Jun 2013, 08:24
First flight in Anson VG 994 on 25/7/56 from the then RAF Usworth when I was in the ATC. I was lucky enough to live in a house on a new estate which was about 100 yards from the airfield fence. Last mil flight on Dec 24 1996 Hercules C MK1 XV 196 to Split and back.

ImageGear
27th Jun 2013, 09:05
Hastings at Lindholme 1967, circuits with GEE I think, knarled old Master Pilot "failing" one engine after another - young snotty sweating trying to keep up with the bells and horns.

SOSL
27th Jun 2013, 09:16
Hi Coff.

Just spotted your post at #9. I did my GH in a Tri-pacer (flying schol) and my (part time) instructor was a (full time) milkman from Carlisle. We used to fly his milk round.

Happy days!

Rgds SOS

Peter Carter
27th Jun 2013, 09:31
BOAC Britannia; London to Salisbury, S Rhodesia; took 2 days; stopped at lots of places en-route to refuel. Only about 20 passengers on board; joined Junior Jet Club. Sat at the front a lot. Got goodies including cardboard cutout Britannia kit. Arrived inspired.

Maxibon
27th Jun 2013, 09:50
1st - Chippy at Kinloss on camp in 1982;
2nd - Hunter with 208 Sqn at Lossie in 1984
3rd - Jag with 226 OCU at Lossie in 1985
Then some gliding stuff at Kinloss.

Gave me bags of enthusiasm for GD(P) but could not make up for my cack handling skills.

30mRad
27th Jun 2013, 10:05
First flight as pax: B707 LHR to Luqa with Air Malta aged 6, trip to the cockpit included!

First flight U/T: glider (forget the type) out of Wycombe Air Park aged 17.

First flight U/T in RAF: Bulldog T1 aged 18

blaireau
27th Jun 2013, 10:10
Auster (unrecorded reg.) out of Luton on August 5th 1953. My father was the pilot.
I subsequently gave him his last flight in an AA5 on September 4th 1992.

VX275
27th Jun 2013, 10:22
Aged 8 in a BEA Viscount from Ringway to the Isle of Man for a holiday. In flight catering was the Barley Suger sweet offered by the stewardess before take-off 'to help your ears to pop.'
Since then I've taken numerous Air cadets on their first flight, in Sedburghs, Venture or Vigilants, where my sole aim has been to convert the quiet/worried/shaking teenager into a grinning aviation junky.

teeteringhead
27th Jun 2013, 11:43
First flight: Silver City Air Ferries Bristol "Super Frightener" from Lydd to Le Touquet with Dad's trusty Ford Consul (or was it a Zephyr by then?) in the back. About 1960-ish so me 10 or 11. Was delighted that the airframe was "Quatorze Juillet" which was the same as my Airfix model (G-ANWK)!

First RAF Flight (and so first HOTAS!): Air Experience Chipmunk from (?) Biggin as an Air Cadet in (?) mid 1960s - no record held, but that's where the passion started!

First RAF solo: Chippy again of course, August 19th 1968, WG 308 from Linton (well, Rufforth as it was a first solo).

First Rotary solo: Sioux at Ternhill - XV 311 November 5th 1969.

Mal Drop
27th Jun 2013, 12:02
Vague memories of being dragged as a toddler to a large and noisy aircraft whilst screaming that I didn't want to get on. Managed to re-enact the performance with staggering accuracy for an entire RAF career.

darkroomsource
27th Jun 2013, 13:28
First flight, UK to USA, I was 4, can't tell you what the plane was...

First real flight in a real airplane (PA24-260D as opposed to aluminum tube) in 1980. (story below)

First lesson, C172 1990

In 1980, I was working in Ventura California, for a software development company. One of our customers was a man who everyone called "Pappy". I asked one of the guys I worked with why everyone called him Pappy, I assumed it was because of his last name, which was something like Papadopolousinskilemonov, I don't know if I have enough letters in that name, and I don't really remember it anyway. Anyway, the guy I asked said I needed to ask Pappy that question, so I did. And what he told me really peaked my interest. He started out bay saying "Have you ever heard of Pappy Boyington?" Now, I was a bit taken aback, because I had heard of him, had seen, and loved, that television program about the Flying Black Sheep. But I realized that if this guy was Pappy Boyington, first, his last name wouldn't have been Papadopolousinskilemonov, but second, I thought Pappy Boyington was 35 or 40 during dubya dubya two, so he'd have to be 70 or 80 years old at the time, and clearly this man was only about 60, so I said to him "But you can't be Pappy Boyington?" And he said, "No, but I flew with him in World War Two." Well you wouldn't have to be a genious to understand how a 20 year old kid like me, who'd always looked up at passing planes and thought to myself I'd love to give that a try, would have been intrigued by that statement. "But that still doesn't explain why everyone calls you Pappy," I said. And he responded "No, but the reason they called him Pappy was because he was old enough to be the father of most of the guys who flew with him, and in the Korean war, I led a squadron of pilots flying F86 Sabres, and they all called me Pappy because I was old compared to them."
We had work to do, so I didn't press it too much that day, and besides, he didn't act like he wanted to tell me much more than that. But the next week, when I went for our weekly meeting, I asked him about it and he asked me if I wanted to "hear about the war, or about the flying". To which I reply, "I want to hear about the flying, I'm not much of a fan of war," which was the right answer, because it turned out he wasn't too crazy about war any more either. Anyway, I offered to take him to lunch, we went, and he regailed me with stories of learning to fly, flying P47s and F86s and others in between. After lunch, back to work, but at the end of our meeting he asked "What are you doing this Saturday?" "Not much," I replied. Then he said "I have to change the oil on my plane, would you like to help?" I didn't have to think twice, "Sure, when? where?" He gave me directions and told me when to meet him.
Saturday came around, none to soon believe me, and I went to the airport to meet him. I found him out on the apron, with his station wagon next to his plane, a Piper Comanche, PA24-260D. He was sitting on a small stool and it was obvious he'd just about finished changing the oil, but I was on time, so he must have planned it that way. Anyway, he gave me a rag and asked me to wipe the cowling. Of course I did my best, and was soon told "That's about as clean as I've seen her in ages, son, you can stop now, I have to give her a test flight, want to come along?" I'm sure you know what I said to that!
Of course it was great. I was immediately in love with small planes. We took a fairly short flight, but I can still remember taking off, he had me take the controls. It turns out he had a flight instructor rating as well, but hadn't done any real teaching since the military. Anyway, I can remember him saying "Pull harder, like you mean it." He ended up having to help me as I was a bit too cautious. The flight was too short, they always are. On the way back as we entered the pattern, the gear wouldn't go down properly, and he had to raise up a part of the floor and manually extend the gear, I remember him saying something about a "large rubber band", and that the cost of all things airplane was ridiculous (years later, when getting checked out in a PA24, I found out that when you do that you have to put the plane up on blocks to get the gear to operate with the motor again). He landed, I said my goodbyes, and went home, still flying.
The next week, at our weekly meeting, he said "I have to change the oil in my plane this weekend, do you want to help?" "Um," I replied "didn't you do that last weekend?" To which he said "Yes, but this is my other plane." Needless to say, the next Saturday found me at the airport, helping to change the oil on his Twin Commanche, but this time I got there just before him, and I did a lot of the work. On this flight, he had me sit in the left seat, and I taxied, and took off. Wow! That plane had a lot of power! He basically stayed hands off for quite some time, told me to head toward that mountain peak, and then that one, and around we went for what was probably just 15 minutes or so. And then he said, "Head for the ocean" So I did. When we got over the Pacific, he said, "Let me have the plane" and he took us down to what seemed to be about 5 feet above the water (It was probably a lot more, but it sure seemed like it was that low). Let me tell you, flying along at 200 knots about 50 feet above the water is a major thrill. One of many that I've had over the years, but probably the one that I remember most of all, it's right up there with my first solo, getting my PPL and passing my IR, to be honest, it comes a close second to the birth of my kids!
Over the next few years I took a lot of 'introductory' flights, until one day, one instructor asked me when I'd like to start taking lessons (I've always wondered why that's not a question that every instructor asked me after an introductory flight), so I started lessons, and the rest is, well, history.

Ivor Fynn
27th Jun 2013, 15:17
First Flight - Dan Air BAC-111 aged 11 (1978), School Skiing trip - broke my leg.

First P/ut - C150 G-BAXU Woodvale Jan 1981.

First RAF - JP5 XW295 Cranwell, Mar 1988.

Ivor

Rosevidney1
27th Jun 2013, 18:01
First flight in a mighty Lancaster coded HD at MOTU as an underage ATC cadet. Make that mighty noisy. Deaf for nearly three days afterwards.:)

blimey
27th Jun 2013, 18:06
A chipmunk at the Flying Selection Squadron RAF Swinderby in the 80s. I thought I'm never going to hack this as I made my first approach: hands and feet thrashing around all over the place. Not a lot has changed with my technique since. :hmm:

Dysonsphere
27th Jun 2013, 18:21
10 years old in a Cessna out of Portsmouth (1967) sadly closed for years led me finnaly to a PPL. Then a glider solo in the ATC no longer political correct I think>

smujsmith
27th Jun 2013, 20:13
There are some excellent memories of "first flights" here, and, may I say many that bring back a few memories for me. Thank goodness for the Air Training Corps, I may well have ended up being a farm labourer. Danny, your experiences and recollections are well covered in " Gaining a Pilots Brevet in WW2.... ", thanks for your input. My own experience is that some of us have that first flight, and, become consumed with aircraft. I was happy just to be allowed to become a Halton Apprentice, and then an RAF Tradesman. I never thought of flying when I joined the service, but, as a result of my ATC experience, never missed the opportunity to act as , ballast, self loading freight, a pair of eyes out of the window, someone to fill in your Flight test report sir. Blimey, I can't remember the excuses I used to " get a trip", Maybe volunteering to be the "rescue dummy" for 84 Squadron at Akrotiri in 1973 was a bit dodgy. To this day I believe that whilst flying for some can be seen purely as a way of making money, I will always look upon my flying experiences as great times. Not sure if I mentioned it before but my first solo, in an ASK21 at RAFGSA Centre Bicester, was probably my greatest experience. I think it was around 20 minutes after landing that I realised I had actually flown an aircraft as its Captain, crew etc etc. I know chaps, get a life, but it was big for me, and cost some beer.:ok:

As a follow up, how about some of you Fast Jet/Single seat drivers sharing your first experiences at the point of the spear. I couldn't imagine being sent solo in a Spitfire, Meteor, Swift, Hunter, Lightning or Typhoon. Likewise, how is a dual crew aircraft first solo accomplished ? Be interesting to hear from some Navs/WSO's (did we have such animals ?).

Smudge

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Jun 2013, 20:42
It was a pleasure taking the ginger-beers up in the back cockpit. I made a point of not making them sick. I remember one who asked, after 5 minutes airborne:
"Can we go supersonic, Sir?"
"We are"

smujsmith
27th Jun 2013, 20:50
Fox3,

Whenever I was given the chance of a flight I would take it. I respect that you, and your fellow professionals didn't try to make the likes of me Ill. in my experience many of your counterparts had that attitude, and made the likes of me very much happier for it. I'm sure a fair few Groundcrew requested selection for aircrew training on the basis of such happy "adventures". :ok:

PS. I was only ever airsick once, whilst doing my 5 hours duration soaring flight for my Silver certificate Gliding. If it can be blamed on the pilot, then for once I will happily take the blame.

Smudge

goudie
27th Jun 2013, 20:52
Smudge, I too well remember going solo in a T21 'barge' at RAFGSA Centre Bicester in '66.
Had a cable break on the second launch (pulled back too hard) and just made it back round. Gliding at Weston-on the -Green was good fun.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Jun 2013, 22:39
The dual crew solo on the F3 was a LL wazex round Wales, where the AD backseater draws a route, insists on navigating, takes you straight over a red dot within 2 minutes of entering low level, say "ah,**** it, you've got a map haven't you?" and sticks to playing with the radar & similar toys whilst Driver, Airframes navigates for the rest of his AD career.
To be fair, the early radar and looking out took all his attention, and I think every crew in the early days had the pilot doing the nav, especially at low level.

As for first solo hovering, opinions varied as to whether to do the checks 3 times, or once very slowly and carefully, because once you move the throttle you will have zero spare capacity for anything.

Danny42C
28th Jun 2013, 00:53
Smudge,

Your #48 is a deceptively simple question. I can only answer for all my training aircraft and a Vengeance, Thunderbolt, Spitfire, Hurricane, Vampire and a Meteor, but think it might hold good for anything else which came later, and of course other people may remember their experiences quite differently.

The very first time my instructor climbed out of our Stearman, I'm "on the spot". You just can't crawl out after him - or you're finished for all time. It's "###t or bust !" So you take it away, for better or worse.

When soloing on something on which you've had dual, then of course it's fairly easy. You know how to fly the thing, there can't be any surprises.

The s/seaters where there is no dual are a bit different. For the first few seconds (perhaps even minutes), it's almost like learning to fly again: there's a weird sensation of moving a control and then something happening in consequence (as it were) - almost a two-part procedure. This very soon wears off, and you're flying instinctively again. (I'd be interested if other people felt this sensation).

Old story from WW2: General visits Spitfire Station, is shown round a Spitfire. "Do your Officers fly these things ?" ...... "Yes, Sir"......"Then where does the NCO sit ?"........"There isn't one, Sir"......."Do you mean to tell me that you let an Officer up in these without a competent NCO to advise him ?"

Agree, "aerobatting" an inexperienced passenger is simply cruelty, and deserves punishment.

Danny.

ancientaviator62
28th Jun 2013, 08:04
Mention of the airsickness brought on to non pilots by the 'driver' reminds me of my first such experience. It was in Chipmunk WK628 of DUAS at RAF Usworth.
The pilot asked me if I would like to do some aeros, to which I readily assented.
After a few loops rolls etc he checked if I was all right. My reply was to ask for a repeat performance . I knew then that I would never be airsick and never was despite a career 'down the back' of Albert on some less than smooth trips. My first solo was in a T21 from RAF Ouston whilst with the ATC.

teeteringhead
28th Jun 2013, 09:48
Excellent stats teeteringhead - was the bench seat in the cockpit or the Zephyr ? Certainly in the Zephyr (or maybe Consul), and possibly in the Freighter.

ISTR two pairs of seats (which might have been bench) opposite each other with a table in between - like on a train. Perfect for Mum, Dad, Bro and self.

I'm leaning more towards the Consul, as it seems "Quatorze" was so branded for only a year or so, and a bit earlier than I remembered. It was then re-painted as "City of Leicester" ..... how are the mighty fallen.

Strange thing memory is - I can remember the VRNs of the Consul (RYW 914) and the Zephyr (593 AXC), but not what I had for breakfast yesterday! :(

Thinks: both cars were bought new (only the first and second new ones Dad bought), so the VRNs, coupled with "Quatorze"'s dates, might give me an exact date - or at least year. Or I could finally dig that old box of photos out from the loft .....

mopardave
28th Jun 2013, 09:53
Ah gents...........I love threads like this, but they make me dewie eyed! First flight December 1969, aged 5, in a Laker 707, Manchester to Tenerife. The trip to the flight deck will stay with me forever.......that's where I fell in love with flight. However, looking back, THE biggest mistake I ever made was not joining the ATC.......I wanted to, but none of my mates did so I put it on the back burner! Fast forward to dec 1984........OASC Biggin Hill.....I still have the rail warrant. Long story short, not good enough for pilot or nav........so they said, and I quote because these words will stay with me forever, "we think you're an excellent prospect for NCO aircrew.....have you considered ALM?"..........a job I knew nothing about! Second biggest mistake I ever made........and I quote, "no thanks, I'd like to try again for pilot!"

Returned to OASC Biggin Hill, July 1986, looking the biz in my Billy Ocean double breasted suit.......clutching my flying log book complete with my recent solo from Sherburn aero club (sent solo by Sqn ldr Ken Jackson of BBMF fame!), and didn't get offered a bloody sniff! For years after, I almost felt physical pain at my monumentally stupid decision during that first visit to OASC! Having read all your posts, and generally hanging around this forum like a bit of a saddo, it is clear to me now that I missed an amazing era of flying in the Royal Air Force. I did eventually get into uniform............a firefighters uniform! Not the same but I've had a great time in a job I love, but it's almost time to go now.........and I'm glad because, like the air force.........things just ain't the same anymore......the really good times are over for all of us..........but at least we HAD the good times. I'm afraid things are just waaaaay too serious these days!
Apologies for the thread drift and massive respect to all you guys who took the Queens shilling.........you did, and indeed do, a brilliant job despite the politicians!
Rant over.........and I'll get my coat!
BTW flew on Concorde just before the Paris crash.......so glad I did......wouldn't have missed it for the world!
Stay safe
Dave :ok:

pulse1
28th Jun 2013, 10:20
My first ATC camp at Hawarden in about 1954. They told me that I wouldn't be allowed in a Chipmunk because I hadn't passed my proficiency. That was OK by me, an Anson would be fine for my first flight.

We were marched down to the dispersal and someone called my name. Put a parachute on they said. What? You don't need a parachute in an Anson do you?

I put on the parachute and was bundled out to a Chipmunk which already had the engine running and, hang on, already had a cadet sitting in the back seat. I tapped him on the shoulder to ask what it was like. When he turned to face me it became rather obvious that he had been sick in his oxygen mask and it was all over his hair.

The aircraft had to go away to be cleaned and, when it returned, there was disinfectant swilling around everywhere. The cockpit stank.

Well, I was sick too but at least I got it all in the bag.

Motleycallsign
28th Jun 2013, 10:58
1st ever time airbourne was in a British United Airways Britannia, Stanstead to Nicosia, in the 60's. 1st RAF flight was in a Hastings, Akrotiri to El Adem in '66. Convinced me to apply for aircrew, many wonderful years and various type experiences, foremost being a sortie in the Lancaster, and a rearseat ride with the Reds, during one of their Far East tours.

smujsmith
28th Jun 2013, 19:40
Mopardave,

I suspect that your thinking on modern services, be they military or civilian emergency services, may well be correct. I will be presumptuous and thank you for your compliments towards the posters on PPRUNE Military :ok:, who " took the shilling", I'm sure many if them would join me in similarly recognising the importance and sacrifices made by our firefighter colleagues. Like you, I never got employed, professionally, in a flying capacity, despite a try at Biggin. But I'd like to think we all at least tried to do our bit.

Smudge

rab-k
28th Jun 2013, 20:10
Can't resist throwing in a pic...

SLF: Loganair Short 330-200, Edinburgh - Prestwick, 1979. (Either in G-BGNA or G-BIRN).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8373/8529369638_1859469507_z.jpg

Air Cadet (CCF RAF): DHC-1 Chipmunk T10, No.12 AEF, Turnhouse, 1982. (WK585)

http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1133988M.jpg

P1: PA-28-161 Warrior II, East Midlands, 1995. (G-CDON)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6716395687_2e49334699_z.jpg

NutLoose
28th Jun 2013, 20:25
Ohhh CDON :D

smujsmith
28th Jun 2013, 20:30
Rab,

Did you ever fly the Loganair into Machrihanish between 81 - 83, when VASS handled your aircraft ? If so, we may have crossed paths.

Smudge

thing
28th Jun 2013, 22:01
Was 20 amazingly enough when I lost my flying cherry. Rollason Condor out of Cranditz. £7 an hour for flying tuition, May '76.

Gave that up when I was posted shortly afterwards to RAFG. Flew in a variety of mob tubes including a Hastings and then took up gliding. First flight K21 at Cosford April 90. Solo K13 May '90. Will never forget the scream of 'Yeeeeeees!!!' as I released the cable. Did my silver 'c'. Been glidering since.

First solo powered was in a 172 April 2011. I might add with undue immodesty on my sixth powered flight with 4.30 in my logbook. Did my skills test in the minimum time. Night and IMC rating followed in quick succession. Have to say that the powered solo was just another flight really, will never forget the first gliding solo though, can remember every second of it.

High points are flying with my daughter who was so terrified of flying she had to have medication when we went to Oz a couple of years ago. She has since sat in the RHS with me and after patient explanation of what to expect and gentle handling on my part she now loves flying, plus my grandson who is seven can now fly straight and level and knows the effects of controls, can't reach the rudder pedals yet though. I'm thinking of building a set of wooden leg extensions for him.

smujsmith
28th Jun 2013, 22:13
Thing,

My first solo, gliding, was in a K21 from Bicester on a joint services gliding course. The chap who sent me off on my own was himself a student pilot at Cranwell at the time, and was very much involved in "aerobatics on instruments" ISTR. Your kids, epic, I never had the pleasure of taking mine gliding. My daughter did come to Gib with me, I was the GE and she was on an ATC "air experience flight" (thanks Captain Tim). Heady days, and Its nice to know you are still flying.

Smudge

thing
28th Jun 2013, 22:23
Doing about 100 hours a year Smuj! Not doing much gliding these days, heavily involved in the powered side with various things but have just heard that my old gliding club is buying a tug....:). I may take a stroll along there...

Have done Bicester when Pete Stratton was a Corporal there and flying the tugs...now BGA's chief exec! Always remember walking into the hangar there for the first time and thinking I had entered heaven, what a collection of hardware.

I remember the field familiarity flight I did, Upper Heyford was still operating at the time and I remember turning off the aerotow and seeing what looked like an airborne block of flats about three miles in front of me; a C5 on approach.

smujsmith
28th Jun 2013, 22:36
I detect some sniffing for tug hours then mate. Maybe you can rekindle the gliding bug. Mine was stopped in its tracks when my back was busted in the back of a Herk, GW1. But, we try to get to the local gliding sites to watch em as often as we can. Best of luck with the tug flying, persistence usually works :ok:

Pete Stratton, first flew with him at 4 Counties, Syerston circa 83-87, He was deputy QFI to Ben Benniston. 4C's now there were some characters there. Had my first cross country with Pete, in the back seat of the Janus, we landed out at an army camp somewhere south of Cranwell. I believe I was only there for the ballast :ooh:

Smudge

NutLoose
28th Jun 2013, 22:40
Rab,

Did you ever fly the Loganair into Machrihanish between 81 - 83, when VASS handled your aircraft ? If so, we may have crossed paths.

Smudge

Probably visited there in a chinook about then.....

I used to maintain one of the aircraft on his list though :p

thing
28th Jun 2013, 22:53
Smuj

Don't know if you knew any of the Cosford lot but Mick Davies (who was one of my gliding instructors) is still there. Flies a Christen Eagle now, got some great air to air shots of him last month when I was Cosford-Kemble. Fly down to Cosford fairly often, great place to fly into and great museum. Off there tomorrow actually, my Godson's 21st. Unfortunately have to drive down as they can't accept civvy a/c on the weekend.

Syerston is just down the road from me, have thought about giving them a bell on the flying instructional side; I only work three days a week now, have some spare time to fill in.

smujsmith
28th Jun 2013, 23:11
Thing,

We often had visits from "the Cosford lot" at 4C's. I remember a Jock lad getting grounded for spinning our K18, straight off release, scaring the hell out of the winch driver, and landing downwind (as I remember RAFGSA had a rule that you could not do aerobatics in single seaters :sad:). I was duty pilot that day and having seen the impertinent visitor from Cosford out of "my" K18, proceeded to do my 5 hours in it to complete my Silver C. A loop or two was OK to celebrate. Anyway, Cosford Museum. I was there about a month ago, couldn't get them to put the props right on the Herk :ugh: as for Syerston, they were always good to me, I was based at Waddington on Nimrod AEW and had absolutely nothing to do. So, the OC Air Cadets GS asked that I be detached to Syerston to help them catch up with a backlog of servicing. As a SNCO Airframe, I could do all the work they needed on gliders. I spent 2 days flying, 3 days servicing. Home to duty paid and some brilliant people. Call in I'm sure it's still the same. All the best.

Smudge

thing
28th Jun 2013, 23:21
Ah the K18 Smuj. Wonderful aircraft, K8 on steroids. Had one at Cosford that had been pranged and always flew left wing low thereafter but once you knew it's idiosyncrasies was a wonderful a/c. Sort of the last throw of wood and fabric before glass took over.

Couple of oppos are at Halton at the moment on posting having a great time instructing etc. Called in there last month, seems like a great set up, if a little busy trying to get into the circuit...

rab-k
28th Jun 2013, 23:21
Rab,

Smudge

Sorry Smudge, I was an 11 year old example of SLF at the time... :O

NutLoose - Nice aeroplane 'Oscar Noddy', very forgiving for ham-fisted novices like me. Nearest it has ever come to a carrier landing was my solo circuit - extremely positive contact with the deck, followed by 'Bolter', then a vacate left and high-speed taxi back to the club, hoping that nobody else noticed... :}

thing
28th Jun 2013, 23:38
Nearest it has ever come to a carrier landing was my solo circuit - extremely positive contact with the deck,

:D:) I wish I had thought of that description last Wednesday when a pal did that to me but it is now filed away for future refernece thank you...

mopardave
29th Jun 2013, 16:57
Smudge

you're not being presumptious in the slightest. I have nothing but the greatest of respect for anyone who donned a military uniform.......but those who flew fast jets in the cold war era.........well, what can I say? I know you guys probably took it all for granted but I can't help think that being in the air force at that time must have been an incredible, rewarding and sometimes frightening experience.

As for firefighting, well, even that ain't what it used to be.......like I said, there's no fun in the work place anymore......and let's face it, and this is something the politicians can't begin to understand, but even people employed in "serious" jobs need to let there hair down and let off steam once in a while.......it does wonders for moral but the Whitehall mandarins, bean counters and politicians wouldn't get that would they!

Thanks for doing a magnificent job guys........keep up the good work!!

Dave

ExAscoteer
29th Jun 2013, 17:17
Anyway, Cosford Museum. I was there about a month ago, couldn't get them to put the props right on the Herk :ugh:
I told them that a year ago Smudge!

Then again I was at Hendon a couple of weeks back and the explanation for the outboard roughened leading edge of the JP5A was just plain wrong.

It appears that the RAF Museum peeps are far from knowledgeable when it comes to RAF aircraft!

Flight_Idle
29th Jun 2013, 23:38
Then again I was at Hendon a couple of weeks back and the explanation for the outboard roughened leading edge of the JP5A was just plain wrong.

I wonder what their explanation was?

Having prepared many 'Strikemasters' for air tests, it was not unusual for the aircraft to drop a wing in the stall, then adjustments had to be made.

Occasionally, the problem persisted & after about 10 to 12 unsuccessful air tests, it would be decided to give the aircraft 'The order of the 'Camrex'.

Camrex being the very rough leading edge paint. It acted as a sort of 'Vortex generator' & usually cured the wing drop.

First flight Sedburg T21

First powered flight Chipmunk

First solo T31

First time above clouds, Herk (I spilt my coffee)

smujsmith
30th Jun 2013, 20:03
Flight- idle (Stephanie),

There'll not be many can have had a first flight where they spilled their coffee :eek:

Having started to read the smashing series on F4 flying in "the Nam" by Mark Berent, currently on Steel Tiger, I'm curious about how it worked for pilots with the "toom". It seems to me the aircraft was a natural for pilot training, in that it was built with two crew places so the instructor pilot could sit in the back seat for the training sorties. But, on the big day, did the instructor simply get out of the back seat, pat you on the bonedome and say, "orf you go then young ginger, a quick circuit and don't bend the kite", or did you need a Nav/wizzo in the back, for ballast if nothing else. I bet someone knows ?

Smudge

Flight_Idle
1st Jul 2013, 21:17
There'll not be many can have had a first flight where they spilled their coffee http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Yes, I remember the old days, two erks on the flight deck doing a low level run over Colerne in a Herk, happy days!

The ATC was good for giving folks three quick solos, but the RAFGSA taught us the basics of flying.

I suppose old erks go in different ways & all the better for it!

Stephanie.

Not a Crew Chief
1st Jul 2013, 22:13
I see there's quite few Dragon Rapides mentioned. Mine was late 50's at Blackpool aged about 3 or 4. Didn't know I'd be jumping out of one years later. Several Chippie trips as a cadet, always asked for aeros, and night navex in a Varsity. Flying lessons at Laarbruch convinced me that ground crew was the right choice so happy to get 5000 odd hours in the back of VC10's and Tristars.
Smuj, must have crossed paths with you down route or earlier at Halton

smujsmith
1st Jul 2013, 22:33
Flight idle,

Very apt as far as gliding goes. Getting some time in a jet was often more of a challenge. But not impossible for the "keen" SLF. Cranwell JP second line. Our team had at least one flight test per month. None of my fellow tradesmen were particularly keen on flying, so "volunteering" to accompany the UTP and fill in the Flight Test sheet was an easy way to gain some hours. Bulldogs and Chipmunks on Oxford UAS and 6AEF were usually a matter of asking the QFI if he would mind a bit of company on his SCT. I won a trip in an F5 Lightning in Cyprus, for working my guts out in the tyre bay on a 4 ship Air Defence det to Malta. OC 56 presented me with an engraved tankard to celebrate the first time they did not have to lose a slot due to lack of serviceable wheels. It was a no brainer really, work overnight, full set for morning, 3 hours kip, back to the bay and have all the spares ready for the afternoon session. I managed to beg a lift home for my wedding with a 9 Squadron crew who were delivering a flat iron to St Athan for servicing. I shall be forever grateful :eek: hours of darkness followed by a long hitch hike from South Wales to Leicestershire (and then I got married :eek: again).

I would like to convince myself that I've flown in everything I worked on, but there are some that remained denied to my lust for flight. PA474, was one example. 6 months refurbishing the great machines wings, and it would have been a crime to deny a couple of the lads their chance of a flight in the raffle. I still have an authorisation to carry out Engine Ground Testing on the Lancaster in my Record of Tradesmens experience, signed by Pete Rushen. I think the one I would have given my soul for was the Buccaneer. Low level, what a magnificent beast. I've been very lucky in my time and had some great experiences. Every flight in a new type was a first flight for me. Hence the reason for the OP, I wondered whether other ex Groundcrew had experiences as I had, and mainly, what our Aircrew colleagues felt about both first solo's in training and first flights on type.

As a subject, first solo's have to be a worthy subject, most people react differently to the situation and obviously being an experienced, trained pilot doing a first flight in a Tornado, must differ from the winch launch 3 minutes , land then realise the other bloke just got out. Sorry to be long winded chaps, I think I'm needing a restrictor fitted to the verbosity valve. Thanks for all the posts on this thread, it's opened my eyes a little into a world (professional flying) that I would have dearly liked to be part of.

Smudge

BEagle
2nd Jul 2013, 06:23
First flight - Piper Caribbean Lulsgate 1962.

First flight in a Service aeroplane - Sea Vixen FAW2 Yeovilton 1966.

Apart from 3 min in a Slingsby Tutor at RAF Locking, my first single seat solo was in the Hunter GT6:

The lovely Hunter ‘GT6’ was my favourite ever aeroplane. Take a standard Hunter F Mk 6, remove the heavy 4 x 30mm Aden gun pack and the draggy ‘Sabrina’ link collectors, add a TACAN so at least you know where you are, then paint the whole thing in go-faster high gloss ‘raspberry ripple’ polyurethane paint and there you have it.

During 1975, I’d finished my Gnat course and had been holding awaiting a pre-Tactical Weapons Unit Hunter course. When the course started, it was a few days’ groundschool, some simulator trips and then on to the Hunter T Mk 7, otherwise known as the ‘barge’. After the compact Gnat with its central warning system, Hobson motor pitch system and OR 946 instrumentation, the ‘barge’ was a real backward step - and it seemed as big as an airliner! But after passing the simulator check and the T7 dual rides, finally the day came on 9 Dec 75 to fly a real single seat fighter for the first time!

Get kitted up in goon suit and anti-‘g’ suit, then out to the aeroplane parked on ‘Hunter beach’ at Valley. Walk round, prod, poke, squint, then up the ladder and into the cockpit. ‘Fitz’, a CFS trapper visiting 4FTS keeps a fatherly eye on proceedings from the top of the ladder as I truss myself into a maze of webbing which would satisfy the most earnest bondage fetishist. Finally it’s time to lift the gangbar and turn on the batteries. First surprise - there’s no intercom sidetone. Because, of course, there’s no-one to talk to in a single-seater, stupid! Do the checks then wave finger at the groundcrew and Press the Button......

The Avpin starter works as advertised and the smell of burnt iso-propyl-nitrate fills the air. But all is well, gennies on, radio on, IFF on, power controls on. ‘Fitz’ smiles and disappears, the ladder is removed and it’s time to call for taxy. Next surprise, it’s so much easier to taxy than the T7 and before long I’m at the holding point. Take-off clearance received, it's on to RW32 and off we go. Power up, quick stir of the controls then set top left and off we go. A brief ‘da-da-da-da’ from the bleed valves and initial acceleration seems much like it was in the T7. But then the extra oomph of the big 200-series Avon makes itself felt and there’s an almighty roar from somewhere behind as the IAS increases rapidly. Suddenly we’re airborne - Brakes on, gear up, flaps up, gear lights out, pressurisation master on.....then at 500ft start the right turn onto 140° to intercept the 100° radial. But we’re already passing 1000 ft and going like a train! Throttle to max continuous and adjust to 370 KIAS - except we’re already doing over 400! Pitch up, nail the speed, there’s the radial, turn left breathe out. ATC ask whether I’m ever going to change to Approach frequency!

Oops, to Stud 2 then up the radial towards FL 200. At around 10 000 ft, I remember to set 1013..... Finally catch up with the beast at FL 200 and check position. How can I be so far away from base already? Aim in a safe direction, think ‘OK - let’s see what she’ll do’ - set max continuous and M0.9something comes up amazingly quickly. Tweak the control column back and the altimeter goes bananas - as do ATC as I’m in the upper airspace without clearance! Then settle down to some aeros and max rate turns before aiming back at Valley for a QGH to PAR. That all goes OK, so I roll and then out go to initials for a visual run-in-and-break. Overtake a couple of Gnats, call ‘initials’, then idle power, airbrake out....70-80° angle of bank and 23° flap on the break. Roll out, airbrake in, gear down - and the controls go all stiff as the hydraulic pump can’t cope with both things together. So a bit of power and all is well. Call ‘final’, 38° flap and pitch into the final turn. Then full flap, slow down to Vat plus 10 and another nice roller. Full power - lovely loud noise - another circuit and it’s time to land. Turn off, taxy in and shut down, grinning from ear to ear.

My logbook says 'December 10 1975 Hunter F6 XF386 Self / Solo Ex RF4 0:50 First Pilot (Captain), 0:05 actual IF, QGH/PAR, 3 landings.' But that hardly describes such an experience! And what of XF386? She lived on for nearly 20 more years before being scrapped at Otterburn in 1996 after 40 years loyal service. A cruel death for such a lovely lady - I hope she’s up there in Hunter heaven.......

simon brown
2nd Jul 2013, 20:01
First slipped the surly bonds in March 1980 Chippy at Filton AEF...must dig out my old air cadet 3822 would be interesting if It was WK562 mentioned earlier. Looking up at the Severn Estuary was not the best idea on my first ever flight.
3 months later at Lyneham annual camp 12 hours on a Herc...couldn't give away the hours that camp. 'Oy Browner want another few hours flying? No thanks sir I'd rather share a dustbin with a rockband'

polecat2
2nd Jul 2013, 20:47
Not my first flight but probably my most memorable was as a pax in a Dominie for the Queen's Royal Review at Finningley in 1977. A great honour for a Cpl A Tech E as I was then.

Polecat

smujsmith
2nd Jul 2013, 20:54
Not a Crew Chief,

Yep, I suspect any crossing paths may have been at Akrotiri, GW1. ISTR both VC10 and Herk GEs supplementing the TASF lads. First time I ever got to help turn the worlds finest Transport Aircraft round. Most of you 10 guys weren't so taken with Albert though:rolleyes:

Failing that Halton for me was 214 Entry Jan 69 to March 71. We were lucky people getting employed as Ground Engineers, IMHO, and I believe even if only admitted in private, most GEs loved their opportunity to fly, and become involved in any way the could. Some great characters to experience it with as well.

Beags,

That Hunter sounds awesome. Advanced airframes at Halton in my day was the Hunter. I can't tell you how proud I felt having returned home on leave in the early evening, to be able to tell my old schoolmates I had been working on the Hunter up until lunchtime. I never let on that they were ground use airframes though. I believe they were sold to the Swiss Air Force from Halton. I always take the opportunity to get over to Kemble whenever I can if they are flying those beauties.

Smudge

Tankertrashnav
3rd Jul 2013, 08:27
Another Dragon Rapide here. Prestwick, c 1958, for 10 bob saved up from my pocket money and long anticipated. Got a shaky black and white box Brownie snapshot stuck in the back of my logbook to commemorate the event.

Half hour in a De Havilland Rapide from St Just, Cornwall, in 1968

I remember seeing those two Rapides doing a low flyby as we were going to the Scillies on the Scillonian, around 1960. Other St Just connection, did my first solo there in a C152 at age 62!

goudie
3rd Jul 2013, 09:57
Not my first flight by any means but a most memorable one was in a Tiger Moth from Duxford, on a fine Summer's day. Mrs G bought it for my 60th birthday. Once we got to safety height the pilot gave me control and apart from him doing some rolls and loops it was mine. We flew over Kings College and as I circled over the quadrangle the tourists must have thought it a fine sight. Pilot took control on finals and that was it. I would add that, during the flight, he was probably doing a bit of tweaking in the back!

Rigga
3rd Jul 2013, 15:19
Smudge:
"In that vein, I was wondering if anyone would like to share their first flight experience. For me, an amazing 30 minutes in a Chipmunk from Shawbury circa 1967. A few aero's and finally allowed a "clutch"."

...perhaps even the same pilot! - but 5 or six years later. It gave me the Bug too - but not for flying.

I never did gliders or Balloons - though I did move through a whole raft of mil & civ types and sizes, C150 & Gazelle to B757/767, and eventually back into helicopters...where I am once more.

Danny42C
3rd Jul 2013, 17:15
Not a Crew Chief,

Your #77 (about Rapides) "Didn't know I'd be jumping out of one years later".

I was in the Shawbury tower one Sunday (?) afternoon in '64-'67. Rapide passing by carrying Red Devils (?) back from display loses donk. Cannot maintain height on one. Pilot invites pax to do the decent thing; all seven (?) comply. Bird now able to fly somewhere and land.

SDO Shawbury spends all evening rescuing castaways (with difficulty) from pubs all round the neighbourhood .

You weren't one, by any chance ?

Danny.

arni1072
4th Jul 2013, 07:14
My first RAF flight (April 1976) on my 'Air Experience Flight' (whilst at SwinditZ) was on the last flight on the Belfast 'Omega' (which as we all know is the last letter of the Greek Alphabet). We were carrying Post Office 'Last flight' covers. I later bought one at a car boot sale in Newquay..

Steve the Pirate
4th Jul 2013, 15:02
First flight was in a Chipmunk of 8 AEF at Shawbury as a 14 year-old CCF cadet. Great fun but I declined the offer of aeros (which is somewhat ironic considering my service career).

First solo was in a Kirby Cadet Mk III at Tern Hill as a 15 year-old (I think) CCF cadet - bloody brilliant!

First powered solo was in a Cessna 150 at Perth, Scone on a Flying Scholarship as a just 18 year-old CCF cadet.

First jet solo (no Chipmunks for me in the service sadly :() was in a JP3 at Church Fenton when it was an RLG for Linton.

Happy days indeed and how lucky were those of us who had the good fortune to experience a time when "military jet noise was the sound of freedom" instead of being something to complain to your local MP about? :ok:

STP

Gericault
4th Jul 2013, 15:35
First flight in a Chipmunk of 10 AEF at Woodvale in 74, first jet trip in a JP4 at Shawbury in 79, one and only Meteor trip at Brawdy in 80, first solo at Barkston H in a JP5 in 82, first single seat solo in 85 at Lossie. Great thread that has brought back some fine memories.:)

Yellow Sun
4th Jul 2013, 16:24
First flight in a Chipmunk in 1960 at Turnhouse as an ATC cadet. Up to then I thought that I knew what I wanted to do. After that I was sure.

YS

kintyred
4th Jul 2013, 19:06
BEA BAC 1-11 LHR to Moscow 1968 to spend 2 years in Mogilev (now Belarus) for my dad's work. Don't remember much about the flight but the phrase "better dead than red" still resonates!
Slightly off thread but I always enjoyed letting my plank wing brethren have a clutch of the mighty Wokka. They could usually hover the thing well enough (until I took the AFCS off!) but transitioning to and from that state often proved beyond them. It was usually their first go in a helo and they never failed to walk off the cab without a huge grin on their face!

smujsmith
5th Jul 2013, 21:29
Aahhh gentlemen,

I've just read through the thread again and I reckon (as Jed Clampett might say) that there Deee Havilland Chipmunk has put a lot of people on course for a flying career. Or drawn the rest of us to engineering the beasts. Obviously many are drawn by the lure of the fast jet, I'm a committed F6 Lightning fan, but the Chippie has been the "Modus inlece" to draw us into the business of aviation. It's also interesting that many "pilots of senior age" have returned to the Chippie at the end of their careers, helping to pass whatever it is that "attracts", on to the youngsters. There's a most excellent thread on the Mil Forum that covers all you need to know about the Chipmunk.

There have been some great expressions, impressions and probably, "blimey I thought that as well" comments on this subject. It does rather say though that all of us were captured by the first flight we experienced, whatever the make or model. Thank you all for your contributions, it's very informative.

Smudge:ok:

longer ron
5th Jul 2013, 22:07
First flight 1960 in this North-South Airlines Heron (fixed gear) from Exeter - Leeds

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/Heronmk1.jpg

My Uncle was an RAF pilot... me in his bone dome :) also 1960

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/vick2.jpg

Followed by Chippie flying at Newton and Cambridge :)
1st Glider solo at 644 GS Spitalgate 1969

Not a Crew Chief
6th Jul 2013, 14:39
Still a bit too young 64-67. Had to wait till Weston on the Green '71.
Similar event though without me on board. Assisted in repairing the exhaust with 'locally sourced spares' and then flew back to Abingdon in it.

Smuj
I was on the 3 engined wonder by GW 1 but transited Akro more times than I care to remember and have just worked out it is longer ago than my 15 years as GE, and nearly as long ago as length of my whole career. Halton 219 70-72

smujsmith
6th Jul 2013, 19:54
Not A Crew Chief,

Respect on your travails on the 3 engined monster. I feel a senior moment coming on. Myself - 214 entry Halton 69-71. I remember being given a lift back from ASI to Brize, on a Tristar, after a long det with a 24 Squadron crew, werent they all ??? They ( the tristar lads) couldn't drop us off at Lyneham, and the loadie went ballistic at the thought of me setting my hammock up in the freight area, despite our crew being the only passengers on board. Even the freight looked lonely !!! A few years later, the very same loadie(now a Herk operator) asked me if I could "spell him" for a couple of hours, and lend him my hammock on the way to Banjul. Long story short, what goes round comes round I suppose. I loaned him the hammock, made the drinks for the front end for about 6 hours and put the frame to bed after landing. He never criticised my chance for some "pre activity recreational time" after that. :ok:

Smudge

PS, 219, was that an Entry or an intake ??????;)

longer ron
7th Jul 2013, 09:24
Further to my earlier post about flying in a North - South airlines fixed gear DH Heron...here is a link to quite a nice pic showing the landing gear fairings etc...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=SDFO9Nf_3A0MNM&tbnid=BBUwNOScwPoRRM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.airlinefan.com%2Fairline-photos%2Fairline%2F1666%2FNorth-South-Airlines%2F&ei=JDPZUerfL4Kj0QXA5YGoCQ&bvm=bv.48705608,d.d2k&psig=AFQjCNESzxIvrn6rFvKku0n-St3NaR35rA&ust=1373275149043404

Dave Barnshaw
7th Jul 2013, 10:32
Hi,I think you will find that it was G-ADDI a Dragon-not Rapide,I flew in it from Rochester for a trip around the coast-but-you are right it was a Lady pilot,and ADDI is still flying in the USA today,Ah-memories.

Dave Barnshaw
7th Jul 2013, 10:44
Also,my first flight was in a Dragon Rapide at LHR for a 20 min.trip to the Windsor area in 1952,they stopped these flights the same year.:O

VIProds
7th Jul 2013, 12:23
My first flight 61 years ago, in a Hunting Clan Vickers Viking from Malta to London with a refuelling stop at Nice. Over Northern France I was invited up to the cockpit & was handed over control. As an 11 year old school boy my feet wouldn't reach the rudder pedals, so we did a kind of yaw to the left then right.

First RAF flight Two years later at a CCF summer camp at RAF Gutersloh in a Percival Prentice.

First Jet flight at RAF Debden in a Meteor 11, which had just completed a Major Service - Yes, sick as a dog!! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif

Most memorable flights doing Radar flight trials at RAF Marham with 57 Sqn. in HP Victor K1 Tankers