PDA

View Full Version : FCCA Maint on Demand ruling (inc Security Clause)

Romulus
25th Jun 2013, 06:28
2013 FCCA 592 AUSTRALIAN LICENCED AIRCRAFT ENGINEERS ASSOCIATION v QANTAS AIRWAYS LIMITED (http://www.workplaceexpress.com.au/files/2013/qantasalaearaphaeldecn.pdf)

25 June 2013 2:16pm

The ALAEA has lost its challenge to Qantas's introduction last year of a line maintenance system that requires fewer checks on newer aircraft and that led to the redundancy of 30 LAMEs.

The Federal Circuit Court, however, found the airline breached the parties' workplace determination in deciding to make the LAMEs redundant without consulting with the union, and in not providing relevant information during the later consultation process.

Judge Kenneth Raphael, in a 91-page decision handed down yesterday, held that the airline's implementation of "maintenance on demand" (MoD) for its Boeing 737-800 and Airbus 330 aircraft operating on domestic routes didn't breach the "job-security" clause (clause 11) in the parties' consent workplace determination reached after their dramatic 2011 bargaining round (see Related Article).

He said the phrase that "Qantas commits to retain the existing engineering and maintenance functions of employees covered by this workplace determination" was not a commitment to "setting the current work practices and functions of LAMEs in amber".

"It seems to the court that the words are wide enough, within their context, to allow for the changes proposed by MoD. It is to be remembered that the implementation of MoD in its current form does not actually remove any functions from LAMEs. It cuts down their frequency."

Judge Raphael continued that the clause made no mention of redundancy or maintaining job numbers and "one would have expected it to if it were to have the meaning ascribed to it by the ALAEA".

"'Job Security' cannot be defined as the maintenance of existing numbers and tasks. 'Job Security' encompasses the continued employment of an engineering workforce. The clause itself seeks to address that by requiring a commitment from the employees to cooperate on issues in improving productivity and efficiency and overall profitability. It is only in that way that real job security, meaning the continued employment of engineers can be maintained."

Judge Raphael also noted that the aircraft in question, "whilst being more modern than much of Qantas' fleet, have been utilised for some years" and the manufacturer's recommendation on line maintenance had been implemented by most other airlines using those aircraft for some time.

"In summary, the court is of the view that the clause is clear in its terms; taken within its context, in particular its juxtaposition to clause 12, it constitutes a commitment by Qantas to retain an engineering and maintenance capacity within its own organisation. The court does not believe that the clause will permit the closing down of Qantas' engineering and maintenance divisions and their outsourcing to another entity or entities unless this was a matter beyond Qantas' control.

"In order to allow Qantas to maintain these functions, the employees covered by the agreement must accept work practice changes which improve productivity, efficiency and overall profitability. MoD is one such change."

Before MoD was introduced in June last year, all aircraft in the Qantas fleet received a "Check 1 procedure", carried out by LAMEs, whenever they landed in a port. Under MoD, the Boeing 737-800 and Airbus 330 fleet are given a Check 1 only for the first flight of the day and for flights where the aircraft would be as some point more than one hour's flying time on one engine from the nearest appropriate airport.

Qantas chief Alan Joyce made public the MoD and redundancy decisions when he announced the airline's half-yearly results in February last year (see Related Article). Qantas introduced MoD in June, leading to the ALAEA taking industrial action (see Related Article).

Qantas breached consultation requirements

The ALAEA also argued that Qantas breached the consultation requirements in the "introduction of change" clause (47) in the parties' workplace determination in making the 30 LAMEs redundant.

Judge Raphael said to the extent that the ALAEA was seeking to argue that Qantas had to provide it with an opportunity to persuade it not to go ahead and introduce MoD, "it is one that the court must reject".

He said the clause was clear that "no consultation commences until a decision has been made. The consultation that is envisaged by the agreement is on the matters set out in clause 47.2.1 and is essentially consultation in order to avert or mitigate the prejudicial effects of the decision that had already been made."

But, he continued, consultation was required on implementing the MoD, which included "any decision relating to the effects of that implementation such as redundancies" - and Qantas had breached that requirement in its decision to make the 30 LAMEs redundant.

He said he was satisfied that the redundancies were "a foregone conclusion, regardless of the consultation process that would occur".

"I believe that Qantas approached the consultation in regards to redundancies as a means to assess who would be willing to make themselves voluntarily redundant and to inform LAMEs of their rights and opportunities in this respect.

"Consequently, even though the ALAEA approached the consultations in a negative manner, due to their belief that the decision to implement MoD had itself been incorrectly made, I am satisfied that Clause 47.2.1 was breached in that Qantas did not genuinely consult with the [ALAEA] in regards to the decision to make 30 LAMEs redundant, that being an effect of the introduction of MoD on employees."

Judge Raphael continued that his finding was of a "restricted nature" given Qantas didn't fail generally to consult, and made a genuine effort to do so on other matters, "including, importantly, methods of mitigating the effect of the redundancies".

The union also maintained Qantas breached clause 47.2.3 of the workplace determination in 17 instances by failing to provide relevant information on the effect of implementing MoD.

Judge Raphael agreed on two counts only, finding both a document described by the ALAEA as a "succinct summary of the project" and information on future labour needs should have been provided.

Judge Raphael said he would hold a further hearing on penalty for the consultation and information breaches – "the first of which seems to be clearly more serious than the second".

He noted that a party to a workplace determination that contravened a provision of it was in breach of s280 of the Act, which was a civil penalty provision to be dealt with under Part 4-1.

Judge Raphael also dismissed the union's application for pecuniary penalties over the company's announcement in November last year that up to 204 positions from line maintenance in Sydney and some 263 from its heavy maintenance facility in Avalon, near Melbourne, were to be made redundant.

He said he was not satisfied that the further redundancies related to the introduction of MoD, nor that if the 30 earlier redundancies hadn't occurred the following round would have been smaller.

A Qantas spokesperson in a statement said MoD had brought the company into line with aircraft manufacturer guidelines and with other airlines, including Virgin Australia and Jetstar.

"Modern aircraft have sophisticated systems which alert us to mechanical issues meaning engineers don't need to check the aircraft before every single domestic flight.

"Our cars don't get repaired the same way as they did 20 years ago and the same goes for our aircraft.

"This change has meant that highly skilled engineers are spending more time and skills where they are needed most instead of doing checks that are not required.

"Qualified and appropriately trained pilots will continue to perform a pre-flight check prior to each flight departure and an engineer will be assigned to every aircraft that needs a check performed, as per the CASA-approved system of maintenance."

ALAEA federal secretary Steve Purvinas was unavailable for comment this morning.

ALAEA v Qantas Airways Limited [2013] FCCA 592 (24 June 2013)

blueloo
25th Jun 2013, 07:46
A Qantas spokesperson in a statement said MoD had brought the company into line with aircraft manufacturer guidelines and with other airlines, including Virgin Australia and Jetstar.

"Modern aircraft have sophisticated systems which alert us to mechanical issues meaning engineers don't need to check the aircraft before every single domestic flight.

"Our cars don't get repaired the same way as they did 20 years ago and the same goes for our aircraft.

I think its great when they go into print like this; should anything ever happen and it can be traced back to this, QF would have some explaining to do.

(But hey I guess thats why the spend so much on PR and legal departments these days)

Sump Monkey
25th Jun 2013, 08:47
I hear NZCAA has approved Air NZ and Jetconnect to operate EDTO Tasman and Pacific services with a similar Maintenance on Demand system on the A320 and 737. EDTO maintenance checks to be removed.

AEROMEDIC
25th Jun 2013, 09:00

It's ludicrous to compare the system of maintenance on a car to that of a complex wide bodied aircraft.

Will fluid dripping from a common drain mast be properly assessed as within or beyond limits?
Will engine pre-flight inspections identify any critical defects before departure?
and so on.........

This spokesman has no understanding of aircraft maintenance and seems to expect that "if it flew in, it'll fly out".

It's a pity that I board my flights via the aerobridge so I can't see the things that matter.

Maybe that's a good thing

griffin one
25th Jun 2013, 09:46
MOD
Rumour is MOC have a new MOD. Signing aircraft out of drop in ports all from the safety of a first floor desk.
Repeat offender

Wellwellwell
25th Jun 2013, 10:09
Oh the shock.....a court case to decide a business has a legitimate right to run its business.

Wellwellwell
25th Jun 2013, 12:11
I bought a new car, first servicing due at 17500 KM's.......wanna keep talking

Not a Qantas problem. Ford, Holden, Telstra.......simple, poor productivity high labour costs, macro economics working against you. I guess your happy when you bought your new 60" TV for a grand and have cost of capital for under 5%

Go back to school

Derfred
25th Jun 2013, 12:38
I guess your happy... Go back to school

most amusing.

AEROMEDIC
25th Jun 2013, 13:08
This is priceless.

Pray tell, what school are you suggesting?

....and it's "you're"...NOT "your"

QF22
25th Jun 2013, 15:27
I used to work at the Red Rat, and the system of maintenance some 10 or 15 years ago was excellent.
Where I work these days MOD or pilot transits are common and increasing.
I see daily instances of aircraft flying unserviceable, the pilots here are not equipped with the knowledge and experience of a LAME.
It is a recipe for disaster, and I fear it will end in tragedy, but the bean counters are happy, and the travelling public are blissfully unaware of the danger they are in.

ALAEA Fed Sec
25th Jun 2013, 19:57
We never, ever expect to win anything when we go to court so we are always pleased to take any good. Qantas have been found to have not consulted correctly, it will be their first strike for that and of course puts them on notice for next time.

Even more important and handy for all the Qantas employees with a similar clause is what he judge said about our job security clause -

In summary, the court is of the view that the clause is clear in its
terms;taken within its context, in particular its juxtaposition to clause
12, it constitutes a commitment by Qantas to retain an engineering and maintenance capacity within its own organisation. The court does not believe that the clause will permit the closing down of Qantas’ engineering and maintenance divisions and their outsourcing to another entity or entities unless this was a matter beyond Qantas’ control. In order to allow Qantas to maintain these functions, the employees covered by the agreement must accept work practice changes which improve productivity, efficiency and overall profitability. MoD is one such change. The court is of the view that there has been no breach of the agreement by Qantas in the introduction of MoD and will not grant the relief sought by the applicant in relation thereto.

Will now be very hard to close Avalaon as they surely plan.

ejectx3
25th Jun 2013, 23:52
.....the pilots here are not equipped with the knowledge and experience of a LAME. .

As a qf pilot I wholeheartedly agree. A Casa inspector accompanied me on a walk around. He asked me to talk him through what I look for and what I've been schooled in by Qantas. Now in my many years of flying I've talked to engineers as often as I can to try and gain more knowledge from their vast experience to improve myself but In this case when asked about various aspects of the health of the aircraft I stuck to exactly what our books give us and he was surprised how limited it was.

going down-under
26th Jun 2013, 01:10

Maybe when you read 'closing down maintenance AND outsourcing' than it doesn't prevent QF from bringing it all to BNE.

" Qantas to retain an engineering and maintenance capacity within its own organisation"
This bit is nice, but doesn't mention form or volume

ALAEA Fed Sec
26th Jun 2013, 01:13
Maybe when you read 'closing down maintenance AND outsourcing' than it doesn't prevent QF from bringing it all to BNE.

Not that easy considering Bne doesn't cater for 744.

Romulus
26th Jun 2013, 02:10
Even more important and handy for all the Qantas employees with a similar clause is what he judge said about our job security clause -

In summary, the court is of the view that the clause is clear in its
terms;taken within its context, in particular its juxtaposition to clause
12, it constitutes a commitment by Qantas to retain an engineering and maintenance capacity within its own organisation. The court does not believe that the clause will permit the closing down of Qantas’ engineering and maintenance divisions and their outsourcing to another entity or entities unless this was a matter beyond Qantas’ control. In order to allow Qantas to maintain these functions, the employees covered by the agreement must accept work practice changes which improve productivity, efficiency and overall profitability. MoD is one such change. The court is of the view that there has been no breach of the agreement by Qantas in the introduction of MoD and will not grant the relief sought by the applicant in relation thereto.

Makes it very very easy I would have thought.

Q: Do Qantas have a significant maintenance capability?
A: Yes. We have a major facility in Brisbane undertaking heavy maintenance

OK then, no need for Avalon to remain then.

Statement: But your Honour! Avalon does 747 aircraft, Brisbane does not! That makes a huge difference!

Answer: But Brisbane does maintenance of all types although on different sorts of aircraft. That is sufficient to meet the terms of the agreement.

Equally you may want to beware the law of unintended consequences. If you push the line that once in always in down to aircraft type then that encourages very very strongly the outsourcing of all work on the 787.

ALAEA Fed Sec
26th Jun 2013, 04:05
Equally you may want to beware the law of unintended consequences. If you push the line that once in always in down to aircraft type then that encourages very very strongly the outsourcing of all work on the 787.

I would be surprised if they haven't already sold their employees out on this one already.

Not sure if I agree on your interpretation of the interpretation. Sure Qantas will run that line though. Knowing the history and purpose of the clause makes it a little easier for me.

airsupport
26th Jun 2013, 07:36
A Qantas spokesperson in a statement said MoD had brought the company into line with aircraft manufacturer guidelines

This never ceases to amaze me, I never worked for Qantas and thankfully I am retired now, however I spent a lot of time at Boeing over the years, including for the introduction of the B767 and later the B737, we as Australian LAMEs could not believe Boeing's guidelines for maintenance, basically they considered very little maintenance was needed, like their training which was never enough for CASA. :(

We were also told many times at Boeing that IF they had their way there would be NO, that is correct, NO Pilots as we know you on their aircraft. :eek:

neville_nobody
26th Jun 2013, 09:14

You do realise that car/aeroplane manufacturers are in the business of moving stock don't you?. So the quicker you blow them up or severely damage some component the better for them. They don't want machinery that goes on forever, like they used to. It's about churn not about building quality machinery that last 20+ years.

You can talk all you like but the ongoing need for less maintenance and longer TBOs but I think the A380 blew that theory up. New aeroplane that has more checks than the older ones. 787 hasnt been much better.

Hugh Mungous
26th Jun 2013, 14:51

I could probably assume that in that first 17,500 km's you never checked tyre wear, tyre pressures, had a look in the engine bay and verified fluid levels, component security or ensured that nothing of any significant consequence was leaking. Lucky your car's not operating in the same environment a modern airliner does...

Romulus
26th Jun 2013, 14:54
You do realise that car/aeroplane manufacturers are in the business of moving stock don't you?. So the quicker you blow them up or severely damage some component the better for them. They don't want machinery that goes on forever, like they used to. It's about churn not about building quality machinery that last 20+ years.

Like they used to?

Believe that and you're on drugs mate. Modern cars are far far bette quality than those of even 15 years ago and their longevity is staggering.

Once the 380 and 787 are properly bedded down they too will be far better than last generation aircraft. From a passenger perspective they already are, as we get genuine maturity into the systems they improve as well.

SRM
27th Jun 2013, 03:03
Interesting, comparing aircraft to cars, then again cars don't need servicing. I guess thats why we have the RACV.:ugh: