PDA

View Full Version : South African passport in China

Evenrude
24th Jun 2013, 17:08
After applying for a job in China, through an agency, the agency asked me if I had another passport (I have a South African passport). When I told them that I did not, they informed me that I it wasn't possible to get a job in China. South Africa does have diplomatic relations with China and they are also part of BRICS. I dont understand what the problem is. Does anybody here have any definitive information on this issue?

Capetonian
24th Jun 2013, 17:34
I can only guess as you've not given much detail. There are several possibilities.

Pre 1994, Chinese (mainland) nationals were treated as 'non-whites' by (EDIT TO CORRECT) SOUTH AFRICA whereas ROC (Taiwan) nationals were treated as 'white'. You may have come across someone who remembers this old situation and is prejudiced - and wrong!

It may be that it is very difficult/expensive/impossible for them to obtain a work visa for you, or visas for other countries if your job requires you to travel. They would therefore prefer an EU/AU/NZ national.

Evenrude
24th Jun 2013, 19:14
Unfortunately I don't have many details, I was just informed by the agency that having a South African passport excluded me from getting a job as a pilot in China. I spoke to a collegue recently who worked in China and he told me the following story. True or not, I have no idea.

Just before the Beijing Olympics, there were 2 Cameroon nationals (that had terrorist links) that were caught with fake South African passports. China then placed South Africa on a 'blacklist' along with a few other countries and that since then it has been impossible for South Africans to get work permits there.

My research has turned up numerous relevant incidents but these are most relevant.

The countries listed are : Afghanistan, Tunisia, Algeria, Bangladesh , Congo, Egypt, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Mali, Libya, South Africa, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Malaysia, Philippines, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Nepal, Pakistan, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Turkey, Mauritania, Saudi Arab, Sierra Leone, Syria.

Fake passports, IDs a 'crisis' (http://www.news24.com/World/News/Fake-passports-IDs-a-crisis-20050913)

ISS Africa | Why al-Qa'eda Seems to Prefer South African Passports (http://www.issafrica.org/iss-today/why-al-qaeda-seems-to-prefer-south-african-passports)

Capetonian
24th Jun 2013, 20:42
Sorry my previous posting made no sense because I put China instead of South Africa ... now corrected.

de facto
25th Jun 2013, 01:57
Hopefully south Africa will reduce visa to those chinese so Cape Town is not infected any more by those pig behaved nationals.

Capetonian
25th Jun 2013, 06:15
The Chinese are taking over large swathes of central Africa. Their brutality and greed will make the 'evil colonialists' look like a vicar's tea party.

STATSSA are publishing statistics about how many 'tourists' come to SA from China but the majority are the new colonialists in transit.

Oldaircrew
25th Jun 2013, 12:36
Not quite correct Capetonian, for some reason the Japanese were considered white whilst the Chinese(of all origins), were considered black. It still rankles many Saffers of Chinese descent.

Capetonian
25th Jun 2013, 12:43
Are you sure? I know the Japanese where 'white' but I thought the Taiwanese were too - which of course makes it even more absurd! And then what about other orientals?

Oldaircrew
25th Jun 2013, 17:22
The paradox was that the old Nat government established fairly close ties with Taiwan as a country but that all Chinese were still considered second class citizens. As they say, politics makes for strange bedfellows. Just goes to show how hypocritical the Nats actually were.

If you chat to many South Africans of Chinese origin, they are still a bit miffed by the past. Now of course, some are using their previously disadvantaged status to maximum effect.

Capetonian
25th Jun 2013, 18:32
Aviation link, but Taipei was one of SAA's few longhaul international services during the apartheid. It was rumoured that the Helderberg (ZS-SAS) which went down off the coast of Mauritius (killing a number of my colleagues in the travel industry) in 1987 was carrying munitions from there.

Ghost_Rider737
28th Jun 2013, 08:47
Try another agency !

virgin camel
2nd Jul 2013, 17:37
From a well informed colleague:

During apartheid the Chinese mainlanders were considered "black" while the Japanese were considered " honorary white ". LOL.

fourgolds
10th Jul 2013, 17:32
. It simply this . The Chinese CAAC has two lists. List A countries and list B countries. List B countries are not able to meet the required security background checks required by the Chinese CAAC. I.e they do not trust the police clearances given by the local authority or the licence background checks given by the local aviation regulatory body. In Sa I believe it's the CAA? Obviously the Chinese have experienced/discovered some fraudulent pilots or inadequacy in the South African governments security checks that they do not trust. This is a new development as recently there were a few saffers at Jade Cargo. My Mrs is a Saffer and its sad to see this discrimination continuing all as a result of the incompetence of the Sa government. Just like the UK visa issue. Exactly the same reasons , the UK government had to deal with too many fraudulent passports etc and subsequently people overstay etc etc that that had to institute some sort of control. Again due to Sa civil service incompetence. When my poor wife has to apply for a passport renewal from abroad she has to wait up to 6 months for it to be issued by a foreign Sa consulate. Whereas I get mine renewed in a week at the max. We have many Saffer friends here and having flown with many of them it is really unfair to see how internationally things are actually getting worse. Lets not even look at whats happening domestically.
Only hope is for the press to get hold of this and try to pressure the Sa gov to up its act and hope for change. But that's for the optimists. Sad state of affairs.