PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Devices Approved for Take-Off and Landing - In USA

strake
22nd Jun 2013, 08:00
Maybe I can now keep reading my Kindle...

U.S. to lift 'outdated' ban on airline passengers using laptops during takeoff and landing | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346169/U-S-lift-outdated-ban-airline-passengers-using-laptops-takeoff-landing.html)

jetset lady
22nd Jun 2013, 08:57
Only if you're on a US carrier or the CAA also change their regulations, strake, despite what the DM might think.

strake
22nd Jun 2013, 10:39
Well, I did say "Maybe" and "In USA".. :)

I can't imagine there will be blanket approval for any type of device but it looks like there has been a leak of information from the Advisory Committee as reported in the Wall Street Journal. However, I am hoping that my inoffensive little Kindle might make it through...

The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that a draft report by the advisory committee indicates its 28 members have reached a consensus that at least some of the current restrictions should be eased.

A member of the committee who asked not to be named because the committee’s deliberations are supposed to be kept private told The Associated Press that while the draft report is an attempt to reach consensus, no formal agreement has yet been reached.

There are also still safety concerns, the member said. The electrical interference generated by today’s devices is much lower than those of a decade ago, but many more passengers today are carrying electronics.

ExXB
22nd Jun 2013, 12:51
What happened to the "might"?

Seeing as 3" penknives remained banned, unlike anywhere else in the known universe, I would not count your chickens just yet.

Anyone want to bet this doesn't actually happen due to media hype and 'safety concerns' from those least competent to express an opinion?

farci
23rd Jun 2013, 12:17
I wouldn't put much faith in the Daily Mail article. I mean, the picture shows a passenger with sufficient legroom and an empty seat beside her!

Obviously way out of date :suspect:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/21/article-2346169-006E688C00000258-507_634x422.jpg

blaggerman
24th Jun 2013, 17:28
There is no way in hell that any regulator will allow unsecured laptops during takeoff and landing. Even a small device like a Kindle has plenty of potential to cause injury if flying around a cabin in the event of an incident (but then again so does a hardback book).

ExXB
24th Jun 2013, 18:45
My Steve Jobs biography weighs 952 grams, my iPad weighs 662 grams. My wife's kindle weighs 247 grams.

Sunnyjohn
24th Jun 2013, 21:14
Average weight of a paperback is 500grams, hardback 1000 grams plus.