PDA

View Full Version : RNAV unit qualification

Bluemeaway
22nd Jun 2013, 06:44
Going to fly an aircraft IFR with a Garmin 155 Tso'd etc

I have G430/530 G1000 RNAV signed off in my logbook.

Looking into 40.2.1. Paragraph 13.7

And also looking at GEN 1.5 page 17 IFR GNSS Applications table

Trying to figure out what I can do with this unit.

I can use it for DR substitute.

Can I use this unit for IFR Area navigation and GNSS Approaches or do I need to get signed off for that on this particular unit. I got a hunch it's the latter?

wishiwasupthere
22nd Jun 2013, 07:30
You have to do 3 approaches using that model of GNSS either in VMC or in a sim before you can use it in anger. (CAO 40.2.1 para 13.4A). No requirement for anybody to sign off on it though.

Lindstrim
22nd Jun 2013, 08:21
In NZ you could use it for STARS,SIDS and enroute but not approaches.

Bluemeaway
22nd Jun 2013, 08:57
Thanks guys :ok::ok:

MakeItHappenCaptain
23rd Jun 2013, 09:59
The G430 'endorsement' entered in your logbook is just a way for your school to charge you $$$ for trivial sh*t.

So how was your initial GPS enroute qualification conducted and recorded?

Prior to using GPS in IFR operations pilots must have completed a course of ground training, based on the syllabus contained in Appendix IV of CAO 40.2.1. The course may be conducted by:
• CASA; or
• An approved training and checking organisation; or
• An instrument school.
The course must cover general information and procedures applicable to all types of GPS equipment, as well as the essential operating procedures for a specific type of aircraft equipment. The practical component of the course should be based on a particular type of TSO-C129 or C145 or C146 equipment. A recommended training syllabus based on the syllabus contained in CAO 40.2.1 is detailed in Appendix 2 of this CAAP.

Log Book Certification
Satisfactory completion of the course and demonstration of competence in operation must be certified in the body of the pilot’s logbook in the following format:
________________ has satisfactorily completed a course of ground instruction in GPS principles and operation in accordance with the syllabus contained in CAO 40.2.1 Appendix IV and I consider him or her competent in the operation of _________________ type of GPS equipment for the purposes specified in CAO 40.2.1 paragraph 13.6.

Pilots may subsequently use a different type of GPS aircraft equipment to that specified in the certification, but must ensure that they are familiar with and competent in the operating procedures required for that type of equipment, before using it in flight for any of the purposes approved in AIP.:E

triathlon
24th Jun 2013, 20:56
Game set and match to the captain mr slam.