PDA

View Full Version : Old Scam, new twist

Milo Minderbinder
21st Jun 2013, 23:08
One of my customers, a frail 90-year old little old lady, recieved a phone call yesterday:

"Is that Mrs LOL?"
"Yes"
"Well are you the Mrs LOL who was defrauded by an Indian Computer Company last year?"
"Yes"
"Well this the the FBI in America. We've got your money back for you, can you give us your bank account details so we can pay it to you.......?"
":mad: off you thieving scamming :mad:........."

The backstory was they took her for around £120 16 months ago, paid on a Visa debit card, but Barclays refunded her even though they had no legal obligation. Presumably they were able to put a chargeback in place.
But.....I suspect we're going to see more of this as more people become wise to the original scam

BOAC
22nd Jun 2013, 09:28
a frail 90-year old little old lady":mad: off you thieving scamming :mad:........."- bet she's handy with a brolly.:)

BEagle
22nd Jun 2013, 10:15
Ring, ring...

"Hello?"
"Is that Mr BEagle?"
"Who is calling, please?"
"This is James from Windows Support. Your computer is indicating that it is infected...."
"Oooh goodness, gracious me. Is that so, indeed to goodness, 'James'?"
"Yes sah"
"And you'll want me to click on Start, Run and then :mad: about with registry commands, then you'll tell me to upload some piece of crap which you lying scammers are trying to peddle. Well, tell you what, I won't. Now bugger off and annoy someone else."

Click.....

BOAC
22nd Jun 2013, 12:12
Much more fun (even for 90 year old ladies) to keep them going on the line. I've had over 20 minutes before declaring I use LInux.

BEagle
22nd Jun 2013, 12:17
I did that once - told them that my computer was a 'Dalton' and that there was nothing on the screen. James RamJet Singh wasn't happy....;)

parabellum
23rd Jun 2013, 00:15
I just tell them I work for Microsoft as an engineer and my computer is sweet, 'bye.......click.

Hydromet
23rd Jun 2013, 01:40
I blow the whistle on these guys - literally. A blast of a referee's whistle has them off the line very smartly.

green granite
23rd Jun 2013, 07:01
My response is "You need to talk to our IT guy, hold on I'll get him" then shout "Fred phone," as loudly as I can straight into the microphone then drop it on the table and leave it.