PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate FTL?

Grum
21st Jun 2013, 09:16
I know most people are a bit confused by this but I thought those on this forum would know best. I have read and reread my ops manual and used the calculators but I still have queries.

I fly under the Slovenian authority, so lets say EU-OPS. I fly corporate under AOC so I rarley have to think about accumulative duty as we don't fly enough.

When I am calculating what time I have to be off duty after a long day, when does my time start? Are we looking at FDP or just Duty? Is it basically (disregarding positioning time) 1 hour before 'off blocks' untill 30 minutes after 'on blocks'? or does the FDP start at 'off blocks'?

Secondly, when does REST begin and end? 30 mins after on blocks and 1 hour before off block?

And finally, what is the logic of giving 12 rest at home base but 10 hours everywhere else?

So lets say off chocks at 18:00 on chocks at 21:00, What is my FDP? and when can I be off chocks the next day?

I really appreciate any help, there is a lot of material on the subject but I can't find anything on how to apply it practically.

dallas
21st Jun 2013, 18:34
See PM .

munich2
28th Jun 2013, 12:45
When I am calculating what time I have to be off duty after a long day, when does my time start? Are we looking at FDP or just Duty?
Base for the Resttimecalculation is Duty (not FDP)

Is it basically (disregarding positioning time) 1 hour before 'off blocks' untill 30 minutes after 'on blocks'? or does the FDP start at 'off blocks'?
Basically:
If you would work for an Airline with homebase you would have to check in at a defined reporting place (a physical place at the homebase) - from there your duty would count.
BizAv Operators are usually operating without homebase. No homebase means also no check in place. But they have to plan with the same ruleset and they need somehow something like "legal planning". For planning the Authorities accept something like a "standard check in time" and a "standard check out time". I think there is no rule around telling that those times have to apply. As I said its an authoity tolerated time frame to match somehow with EU OPS. Most operators use this tolerated times for their reports (... if they would go streight with the rules they would have to report somehow realtimes).

FDP starts with the check in
(I asume out of your statement your operator is also reporting the tolerated one hour before block off)

Secondly, when does REST begin and end? 30 mins after on blocks and 1 hour before off block?
Your rest starts 30 min after the last block on and ends with one hour before first block off.

And finally, what is the logic of giving 12 rest at home base but 10 hours everywhere else?
There is no logic:
The actual ruleset is heavily influenced by Airliners. I think this ruleset is somehow connected to the definition of "Travelling Time" (see definition in your OM / this is no dutytime).
At home you have to travel from the place where you live to the check in (and from there your duty counts). If you are somewhere else the Airline will accommodate you close to the Airport - so nearly no Travelling time.
I
am not sure if this is correct - someone explained it to me this way.

So lets say off chocks at 18:00 on chocks at 21:00, What is my FDP?
If its one continuing flight:
FDP starts with check in (I asume out of your statement one hour before block off) 17:00 until block on 21:00 = 4h
Duty would be 04:30 (incl check out)

and when can I be off chocks the next day?
Your rest starts at 21:30 from there 9 hours to the next check in.
9hours - out of homebase if previous duty was below 8 hours

I really appreciate any help, there is a lot of material on the subject but I can't find anything on how to apply it practically.

cruisingeagle
5th Jul 2013, 12:42
Hey
can any one please give some examples on how to plan a flight route and
calculate the necessary of the FLT legs?

are there specific legs for each route?
how can we know that?

any help will be greatly appreciated..
thnx

Grum
6th Jul 2013, 08:14
Munich 2 and Dallas

Thanks both for your time. This has cleared everything up and confirmed what I understood from the regs. cheers:ok: