PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

MadsDad
20th Jun 2013, 10:30
Ok, anyones advice about Google Earth please.

Of late when I've tried to go into Google Earth from my windows machine I get a message saying it can't open because my graphics card doesn't support 'OpenGl' mode I need to switch to switch to 'DirectX' mode. However when I do that it also fails telling me to either change my display setting to 'True Color (32 bit)' (this is bot an available option in Control Panel, I'm using 'Highest (32 bit)')or install DirectX 9.0 (which I have done but it doesn't help).

Any advice welcome (I've even installed a new(er) graphics card but that hasn't helped).

green granite
20th Jun 2013, 10:43
Uninstall and then re-install and see if that helps.

vulcanised
20th Jun 2013, 11:32
I reluctantly gave up on GE some time ago.

It used to work, but suddenly nothing I changed satisfied it. Another 'improvement' :ugh:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jun 2013, 12:20
I had exactly the same problem when I updated GE. After spending a lot of time messing about I found a site which advised uninstalling and then downloading a previous edition of GE, i,e, one which had not been updated. I'm not sure which site I downloaded from but this looks promising:

Old Version of Google Earth Download - OldApps.com (http://www.oldapps.com/google_earth.php)

MadsDad
20th Jun 2013, 15:02
Thank you for your time, gentleman. I did forget to mention that I have a version of DirectX higher than the 'you must have this version' and I had tried reinstalling GoogleEarth.

Sounds like another of life's little 'improvements' proving its own worth. (And, as for 'improvements' if you are installing DirectX be very careful of the install or you end up with Blip (sp?) as well).

The 'old version' install sounds like the best solution for now. Still I have got a new graphics card out of this (although my computer (I suspect the graphics) did 'freeze' an hour or so ago, for the first time in years. Watch this space).

Milo Minderbinder
20th Jun 2013, 18:06
Someone asked this a few weeks ago
Same answer as then: install updated drivers for your graphics card