PDA

View Full Version : JetA1 fuel delivery oop north ?

nigelh
19th Jun 2013, 17:34
Does anyone know who can deliver Jet A1 to Yorkshire in a sensible size lorry rather than huge one ? The last delivery caused a right old mess getting down our lane and then took out my pad lights on the ground !!
My bowser is only 3000 lt but I am thinking of putting a bunded heating oil tank next to it , higher , and then just gravity feed to top it up .
Any ideas ?!! Many thanks

stringfellow
19th Jun 2013, 17:44
How about buying an ex mod small hgv tanker, then driving it a short distance to meet the larger one?? It only need to be a short rigid tanker, it wont need an mot if you only take it a short distance and that way you are in control. I cant imagine you will have any joy getting them to deliver in a small tanker its just not cost effective.

nomorehelosforme
19th Jun 2013, 17:45
Most fuel companies offer the option of a smaller rigid vehicle rather than an articulated lorry, but be prepared to pay a premium for a smaller delivery.

chopjock
19th Jun 2013, 17:53
Or just use kerosene from your local heating oil supplier.

nomorehelosforme
19th Jun 2013, 17:58
Interesting option!

Or just use kerosene from your local heating oil supplier.

No not my option!

FloaterNorthWest
19th Jun 2013, 18:27
Give James Ford a ring at AFS. We get smaller deliveries from him.

nigelh
19th Jun 2013, 22:32
Thank you for the replies . Last time I tried James he didn't have a rigid tanker but I will try again .
Yes I could try a bowser lorry but quite a lot of hassle keeping it in running order especially if I only fill it once or twice a year . I probably only use 10,000 lt a year or so . I really want to get a domestic 7000 lt tank and fill that and my bowser and buy 10,000 lt a time . With a saving of between 20 and 40 pence per litre it's worth having !!
Ps. Yes I am sure heating oil works just as well and I would be happy to use it if my insurance company was happy !!
Pps .... Have you got his tel no or email as nothing on google ... Thanks

nomorehelosforme
19th Jun 2013, 22:37
Please! Heating oil! What next recycled chip pan oil?

nigelh
19th Jun 2013, 23:30
We have been through this before :ugh: Although not "approved" by the manufacturers many people have been using heating oil for many years . I have not heard of any accident occurring due to this or any problems with engines at o/h . My belief , until proved otherwise , is that to all intents and purposes the two products are identical . There are probably more quality checks done on the Jet fuel I imagine , but it would probably have to be way out of line to actually lose power . You can run a turbine on virtually any fuel , incl petrol and 100LL for short periods . ( you may also need some inspection after ) .
Before you all choke on your ovaltine , I do not use it or recommend its use . I just happen to believe it is probably safe !
Ps and yes . Recycled chip oil would almost certainly work as well ..... To get you home ....

John Eacott
20th Jun 2013, 05:04
We have been through this before

Haven't we just!

Jet A1 vs kerosene 28sec (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/451605-jet-a1-vs-kerosene-28sec.html) and Need info, dyed kerosene (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/409794-need-info-dyed-kerosene.html) are just two of the many threads ;)