PDA

View Full Version : New seat design on Easyjet

Alanwsg
19th Jun 2013, 10:56
Flew back from SSH with Easyjet yesterday on a brand new A320, cabin crew said it was only delivered two days previously.

It had seats fitted that I've never seen before, much "thinner" (i.e less bulk) than previous versions, they seemed to give a fair bit more leg room and extra width as well. Downside was that the tray table is much smaller. The label on the seats said something like "Recaro".

Wonder why something like this hasn't been done before, doesn't seem to be rocket science!

Dct_Mopas
19th Jun 2013, 11:34
All the new EZY A320's are now being delivered with the new seats. Many other airlines (including Monarch & Lufthansa) are also being delivered with lighter and thinner seats.

Link with pictures below:
Like Recaro's SL3510? You'll love easyJet! (http://www.aircraftinteriorsinternational.com/news.php?NewsID=47762)

Hotel Tango
19th Jun 2013, 13:25
Why does the cynic in me think that some bean :8 counter will, in order to generate extra revenue, soon make use of the extra space provided by this new seat design by adding a row! :hmm: let's wait and see shall we.

Agaricus bisporus
19th Jun 2013, 16:24
Do you really believe that when you buy a ticket you're somehow entitled to a fraction of the floor space on an aeroplane instead of just a seat?

Why on earth wouldn't they do that? It would be a truly incompetent company that didn't consider it.

Hotel Tango
19th Jun 2013, 17:48
Do you really believe that when you buy a ticket you're somehow entitled to a fraction of the floor space on an aeroplane instead of just a seat?

In your quest for superiority Ab you come out with some impressive statements. This is your best one yet.

Mark in CA
19th Jun 2013, 17:57
I think Lufthansa has been using these for ages. I'm pretty sure they were on the A380 I took from FRA to SFO, and they are on the LH 747 fleet, too.

Recaro is probably best known for their automotive seats used in racing.

ExXB
19th Jun 2013, 18:22
I believe Squeezy is already at the maximum authorised capacity for their aircraft.

Hotel Tango
19th Jun 2013, 18:25
From Easy's own communique:

"easyJet has chosen the Recaro seat because we really believe that it will provide a more comfortable flight and that our passengers will notice the difference.

It has been ergonomically designed with the comfort of the passenger top of mind so the backrest angle is pre-defined for a relaxed sitting position and the seat is designed to provide more space for passengers".

Clearly, more space is their current sales pitch. I was wondering out loud just how long that will remain the case.

Thanks ExXB. I was still typing when you posted. I shall remain a cynic. It goes with my age ;)

ExXB
19th Jun 2013, 18:36
It sounds like these seats don't recline either. My wife will hate that, but I won't :O

25F
19th Jun 2013, 21:22
Excellent news, and I hope we're lucky enough to get the new seats on our next excursion to the in-laws.

I get the impression - and I'm voting in favour with my debit card - that EZ is trying to make the experience as pleasant as it can be within the cost constraints, unlike The Other Lot who seem hell-bent on making it as unpleasant as possible, in order to drive home the "it must be cheap" message.

As for the floor space comment - yes, that *is* one of the things you pay for.

PAXboy
20th Jun 2013, 00:52
To the best of my knowledge, Recaro have been making airline seats for about 20 years. Unsurprisingly, LH is a big client of theirs.

Espada III
20th Jun 2013, 05:32
Jet2 have had thin seats for a few years now. They don't recline but are not uncomfortable and legroom seems adequate. The arm rests are much shorter and the seats are made from a hard plastic shell with a reasonable amount of padding for the cushion. There are c times when I have been more uncomfortable on a Lufthansa A340 for four hours than a Jet2 B737 for over five.

PAXboy
20th Jun 2013, 17:09
Comfort is secondary - it's the light weight that is primary. Although I'm sure they take comfort seriously, no company changes seats in that way for pure customer service.

Agaricus bisporus
20th Jun 2013, 17:23
25F, guess you didn't read the comment then.

You are buying a seat and the space around it, not a fixed percentage of the aircraft's floor area. If they find the space for another row by improving the use of space you clearly aren't entitled to a share of the gain are you?

HT, keep taking the pills, reality is clearly a struggle. My commiserations.

WHBM
20th Jun 2013, 17:36
It has been ergonomically designed with the comfort of the passenger top of mind
Some of us can still remember the properly comfortable seats everywhere, from the days before ergonomics was discovered .....

.... the comfort of the passenger top of mind so the backrest angle is pre-defined for a relaxed sitting position .... That's the best PR-speak euphemism yet for a non-reclining seat.

willl05
20th Jun 2013, 17:54
Considering your comments, let me suggest a different screen name: Amanita bisporigera

mross
11th Jul 2013, 12:39
I found the new seats very comfy and I have back trouble. The lack of reclining does not bother me, at least the person in front can't move their seat up and down while I'm trying to enjoy my tea! There does seem to be an extra inch or two of legroom. Thank you EJ!

t1grm
11th Jul 2013, 21:10
If these are the ones with the seat pocket high up behind the head rest then Brussels Airlines have these too. I like them. They give more legroom and a firmer feel. I like a firm seat... ooh err!

Edit: I would imaging weight/fuel is the primary concern for the operators. They look super light.

DavidWoodward
11th Jul 2013, 21:17
Do you mean these seats?

http://twitter.com/Lewi320/status/354741671927369729/photo/1

fa2fi
17th Jul 2013, 10:19
It's nothing new having non reclining seats on easyJet. I'd say about 95% of the current aircraft don't have reclining seats.

@Exxb: "Squeezy". Really? How old are you? That it boring 15 years ago.

Davef68
6th May 2014, 15:49
Flew on one of the new aircraft for the first time today, seats seemed comfortable enough for a 1 hr UK Internal flight, but the tray table is a lot smaller!

CometCrew
10th Jun 2015, 21:44
If you are flying for longer than 2 hours, I strongly urge you to avoid flying EasyJet! These new Recaro seats are the most uncomfortable aircraft seats I have ever had to sit on. The backrest is so upright you are forced into an almost bolt upright position, which is totally non-adjustable. There is so little padding in the seat squab that within a very short space, you will start to suffer from numb bum syndrome. I first encountered these seats on a return flight from Cyprus to London, shortly after EasyJet took delivery of the first aircraft to have them fitted. I complained to their Marketing Director, who had made some fantastic claims about the new seats; his reply was most offhand and totally unsympathetic...so much for listening to the customer.
What does everyone else think about these new seats, which have obviously been introduced with the primary objective of reducing AUW and thus saving fuel!

mockingjay
11th Jun 2015, 08:37
The seats are not a vast improvement on the old ones but they are much better in that they're more spacious. The aisle is now narrower and more space is given on the width and the legroom is improved and the feeling of spaciousness is much better even if the cabin is much darker with the black fabric.

Also every aisle armrest lifts giving easier access to seats for customers who have mobility issues.

The seats aren't great but they're more spacious and are certainly inline with many other carriers such as LH's NEK and BA A320s or people can take their chances with 28" charters. However U2 do have the added benefit of no recline too.

Given that they save fuel too I can't see them going anywhere fast.

paully
11th Jun 2015, 17:42
Had one of these seats on a flight in March from LPL to FUE and found it fine tbh..On the return we had an aircraft with the old seats which were nowhere near as good.Just my thoughts